Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times

Advertisements

Best places to live? Missouri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,198 times
Default Places to live without family

I was born and raised in CA and lived in many communities. The only thing I can say is that I'm still looking for a place to live without family. It seems that we are the outsiders. I raised my children in San Bruno. I loved living there, but then I made friends through my children. Still not feeling like I fit in. I worked in Monterey, CA and still had a hard time feeling like I fit it. It seemed that everyone had friends and just didn't need anymore. Now I live in Livermore, CA and I've lived here for three years and still have not found one close friend. It's not that I'm anti-social. I think what has happened is that I misssed the boat by moving around trying to find a place where I would fit in and have friends that would come over for dinner, play a game and/or watch a movie.
I'm still looking. I was a widow, luckily I met my husband a few years ago. Now we are both trying to look for a place where we fit in. We are looking at Santa Cruz, El Dorado Hills, Paradise,and Sacramento. So far I think I might like living in Santa Cruz, but haven't researched it enough.

I wish you luck, if you find a place - please let me know, so that we can move there.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:04 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulefogg View Post
I was born and raised in CA and lived in many communities. The only thing I can say is that I'm still looking for a place to live without family. It seems that we are the outsiders. I raised my children in San Bruno. I loved living there, but then I made friends through my children. Still not feeling like I fit in. I worked in Monterey, CA and still had a hard time feeling like I fit it. It seemed that everyone had friends and just didn't need anymore. Now I live in Livermore, CA and I've lived here for three years and still have not found one close friend. It's not that I'm anti-social. I think what has happened is that I missed the boat by moving around trying to find a place where I would fit in and have friends that would come over for dinner, play a game and/or watch a movie.
I'm still looking. I was a widow, luckily I met my husband a few years ago. Now we are both trying to look for a place where we fit in. We are looking at Santa Cruz, El Dorado Hills, Paradise,and Sacramento. So far I think I might like living in Santa Cruz, but haven't researched it enough.

I wish you luck, if you find a place - please let me know, so that we can move there.
I don't think you missed the boat. I've lived in the Tri Valley area for 20 years and my friends have come and gone, it's been a little transient IMO with the people I met thru my kids relocating all over the map. Have you and your husband tried Meetups? There are some very active groups in the area and everyone seems to be looking for the same things you are. And honestly, I don't know many who have it. I'm not sure of your age but after 50, after the kids are grown, it's super hard to meet new people so I feel ya. Good Luck!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,109 times
what if i were to move to california from queens ny. im from upstate ny and lived in the country most of my life. i know i dont like the cold, snow, or the feeling of being in the middle of no where. im just getting out of college with an air conditioning degree. im considering getting an engineer degree. ive work in the front and back of the house of restaurants most of my life. i want mostly urban with a little suburban. i always felt like i belonged to california but have never been there.i hear great things from people that have been there.like they never wanted to leave.i need a cheap place to live near the beach, jobs and with things to do. im 28 and like meeting new people. i also like the fact that nyc has public transportation and would like to have some of that if possible. nyc is expensive, dirty, humid or cold. i like the heat but not humidity. i think if i moved there where its hot it would be great with my new degree. im a laid back person with a big drive. what do u guys think

Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Drew View Post
what if i were to move to california from queens ny. im from upstate ny and lived in the country most of my life. i know i dont like the cold, snow, or the feeling of being in the middle of no where. im just getting out of college with an air conditioning degree. im considering getting an engineer degree. ive work in the front and back of the house of restaurants most of my life. i want mostly urban with a little suburban. i always felt like i belonged to california but have never been there.i hear great things from people that have been there.like they never wanted to leave.i need a cheap place to live near the beach, jobs and with things to do. im 28 and like meeting new people. i also like the fact that nyc has public transportation and would like to have some of that if possible. nyc is expensive, dirty, humid or cold. i like the heat but not humidity. i think if i moved there where its hot it would be great with my new degree. im a laid back person with a big drive. what do u guys think
Are you serious?
No.
Hard to tell.
Oh well, i'll pretend that you're for real.
But why bring up a 3 year old thread so that you can post this question?
The coast of California is expensive .... extremely expensive.
If you want heat and you have an air conditioning degree and you want to come west, why don't you check out Arizona? Seriously. Like Phoenix. Try that first. It's relatively inexpensive and it's hot, hot, hot! and you'll be close to California so that when you get your western legs strong and shed your east coast baggage, you can then explore the coast.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM

42 posts, read 300,891 times
In sticking to the main topic -- living in CA without "real" family --- this depends on how close emotionally and in ties you are to your family. For me, I love my family (however, they are in the deep south) but I am NOT close to them --- there is much dysfunction there and I do not count on them now or much less as I become older. I hope to live the rest of my years in a peaceful relaxing community. Sonoma may be a good fit.

I'm a 64 years young, independant, and so far, in excellent health and active. I'm seriously thinking of the town of Sonoma itself. I currently live on the peninsula and feel California has more to offer in terms of senior resources and mobility! In the end, I do miss the close family ties we had 20 years ago -- but people and places change.

Last edited by topaz47; 02-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Pasadena, South Pasadena, Long Beach

Old 02-18-2012, 05:38 PM

i was thinking of starting in texas for a bit then go there..all though i do have friends in arizona and they said they loved it.i want to finish and get a bachelors degree.i think my hvac associates will open alot of doors for me.i just figured california is like nyc but u just need a car.its expensive here to but there r places to live that are cheaper youre just far away from things and in gettoish parts.thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 05:39 PM

ohh and i posted this recently

Old 02-18-2012, 05:48 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Drew View Post
i was thinking of starting in texas for a bit then go there..all though i do have friends in arizona and they said they loved it.i want to finish and get a bachelors degree.i think my hvac associates will open alot of doors for me.i just figured california is like nyc but u just need a car.its expensive here to but there r places to live that are cheaper youre just far away from things and in gettoish parts.thanks
There are parts of California that are relatively inexpensive although, then again, why bother with CA when you can live in other warm and sunny places like AZ or TX and where you'll get a lot more for you dollar regarding housing?
Good luck no matter where your path leads.
It's good to get out of the northeast imo.
It has its virtues (can't recall them at the moment however) but i always say that west of the rockies is best. You're almost there in Texas but not quite.

And Topaz47 ... this thread was started more than 3 years ago so "sticking to the main topic" is a bit irrelevant at this point.
Hopefully the o.p. has figured things out by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California