Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,154 times

Advertisements

Also, someone mentioned health care... what about Mark Twain Hospital at the foot of Mountain Ranch Road? The county seat is right there and for me is somewhat of a saving grace, with a decent library, arts organization, and a few cute restaurants. Moke Hill is close and gorgeous also. Senders - love it. The park across from Senders - wish it saw more use. Also wish there was more walking/biking paths in Mountain Ranch, but I guess that's what one's own property is for. The public elementary school leaves much to be desired, but there's a very cool charter school. There is also an Elephant sanctuary! How cool is that? Even though you can't go visit, how many people can say they live near such "wild life"? I could really go on and on. And may do just that in another post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
My wife was working on the houseboats on the lakes, she noticed fresh water jellyfish. She notified fish and game, they came out and looked as this is very rare. They said no such exist in fresh water, she just pointed at one passing by. They still would not look.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,154 times
Ferretkona - check out this website:
http://www.jellyfish.iup.edu/jellyfish.html

Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
I have lived in Valley Springs for 5 years now, and I love the area. If you llike being in the country, kind of isolated from real urban living, with limited retail shopping, limited choices for grocery stores (unless you want to drive to Jackson or Angels Camp..35-40 minutes away), and very limited night life ( bars close about 9 or 10 M-Thurs, Fridays depends on if there is entertainment or not, but rarely are they open til 2 A.M.), no local movie theatre or other entertainment venue, then it is the place for you. I love that it is quiet at night, no loud traffic, the air is still good (except during bad fire seasons), the people are down home and as good ole' boy as they come, but real, and the atmosphere is one of a neighborly, safe, middle class, early rising, hard working, country folks, kind of place, no pretentiousness, or flashy cars, or people going to work in business suits, etc. Just plain folk, who will share a beer and a real life story with you that will make you laugh or cry, but you will remember for the rest of your life. People here are just trying to live the American Dream as best they can. They don't like being lied to, and they might not all be the sharpest tools in the shed, but they stick together, tight, and they are the true blue folks who will never give up without a fight, and who will be your friends for life, if you are real and have their backs when things go wrong.
I grew up in the Amish countryside of Pennsylvania, then moved to the big city of Los Angeles for college. I am a country girl at heart, and made the choice to live life in the slower lane here. I want to live longer, so I choose to live out of the fast lane. A little less convenient here but, for me, worth it. It is definitely going to be more expensive to live here but it is all relative, if you know how to budget, and double up your stops when you have to drive out of town. When gas hits $4.00 a gallon, you do not want to be makinig several trips to Jackson or Angels Camp at 40 minutes a pop. Pay a little more at the local mom and pop store and ride your bike or walk to it. You will get in better shape and lose weight, so what could be more perfect?
I hope this helps you with your decision, and if you do move here, we will probably meet somewhere, sometime. I look forward to it.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth (or "Lil' E... as I am known here.)

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM

48 posts, read 111,128 times
Valley Springs has a great Thai restaurant in the MarVal shopping center...it rivals some of the best Thai restaurants in Southern California. We go there at least twice a week.

Valley Springs is definitely a bedroom community and went through quite a bit of single-family home growth (and subsequent foreclosure wave).

The food overall is amazing here...especially when the farmers market is in full swing!

Most people are friendly and down-to-earth. It is true, though, that as you go up the hill (West Point, Glencoe, RR Flat), the marijuana use increases and the number of teeth someone has decreases!

The job market is tight, with real unemployment hovering around 20%. Unless you work for the county, school district, or run your own business, you will likely commute to the Valley.

Nevertheless, I hope to never move away and plan to raise a family here.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wife was working on the houseboats on the lakes, she noticed fresh water jellyfish. She notified fish and game, they came out and looked as this is very rare. They said no such exist in fresh water, she just pointed at one passing by. They still would not look.
I know, old post. Can't help myself. Most likely a Freshwater Bryozoan. I used to think they were frog eggs. Usually hard masses clumped on sticks in the water. Though I don't why it would be "passing by" as they don't swim.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
"What about Calaveras County?"

I hear they have some jumping frogs there.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:37 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevocaster View Post
I know, old post. Can't help myself. Most likely a Freshwater Bryozoan. I used to think they were frog eggs. Usually hard masses clumped on sticks in the water. Though I don't why it would be "passing by" as they don't swim.
She has been to the Monterey Aquarium and the Long Beach Aquarium, she has seen jellies and frog eggs both. She used to work for the USFS. She said she caught one and kept it in a aquarium for awhile. I am thinking one or more was transported in the bilge of a boat used in the bay.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Quote:
She has been to the Monterey Aquarium and the Long Beach Aquarium, she has seen jellies and frog eggs both. She used to work for the USFS. She said she caught one and kept it in a aquarium for awhile. I am thinking one or more was transported in the bilge of a boat used in the bay.
Interesting.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
You have got to have photos. I would be really interested in seeing a picture if you have one. What did our "wonderful" fish and game department say they were if not jellyfish. Did it look like this?

I'm sure you have already looked this up on the internet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California