Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM

89 posts, read 326,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Doesn't the fact that it was caught means that the system worked?
I don't think so. If the system worked, the equipment should've been properly maintained by the power plant company. Failing equipment should not be discovered by federal regulators conducting an inspection - especially not equipment so crucial that the power plant has to be shut down indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:06 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,656,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
I don't think so. If the system worked, the equipment should've been properly maintained by the power plant company. Failing equipment should not be discovered by federal regulators conducting an inspection.
so you are afraid of nuke power, and the two towers imploded. What is your position on Fluoride in our drinking water?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
so you are afraid of nuke power, and the two towers imploded. What is your position on Fluoride in our drinking water?
Not afraid. Just don't want to be caught in a radioactive catastrophe. The Diablo Canyon plant is the big elephant in the otherwise paradise-like region of San Luis Obispo.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM

Your position on fluoride in our drinking water?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,135,741 times
Why don't you go start another thread about fluoridated water, .highlite? That's not the topic here.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Why don't you go start another thread about fluoridated water, .highlite? That's not the topic here.
You did not get my point did ya. Read back through the posts, see where you went wrong.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
why don't you go start another thread about fluoridated water, .highlite? That's not the topic here.
+1

Old 03-17-2012, 09:20 PM

I agree that one should not live his or her live "worrying" about the next incident or disaster. However, while one need not "worry," one may be very wise to take certain precautions:

- Minimizing the use of cell phones near one's brain
- Properly maintaining one's vehicle to prevent incidents while driving
- Washing your hands before eating
- And so on, to include not living within X number of miles of an electrical tower or power plant, which is the focus of this thread

I posted the news stories to create awareness and show that incidents do happen. You need not actively "worry" about getting brain cancer from cell phones, catching germs and getting sick, getting into a vehicle accident, or being the victim of radiation poisoning from a power plant leakage. However, you can take some basic precautions.

While I realize that power plants exist in every region, I invite you to look at how close the nearest nuclear power plant is to large cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego, New York, and Philadelphia. The distance from San Luis Obispo to the Diablo Canyon Power Plant is 12 miles. Also, there is a reason that nuclear power plant workers receive hazard pay.

To completely disregard the risk of nuclear power plants is simply irresponsible, especially in light of recent events. I posted examples of power plant problems and other incidents to show that things do happen, and while "worrying" may be an inappropriate response, it may be prudent to take basic precautions.

Last edited by NoTimeToTalk; 03-17-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,944,003 times
There's lot of dirt cheap (in fact free) property near Chernobyl I heard...

Last edited by alexxiz; 03-21-2012 at 11:47 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,454,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You did not get my point did ya. Read back through the posts, see where you went wrong.
When I lived in SLO there was a group called "Mothers for Peace" that did alot of protesting against Diablo Canyon. Do you know it they are still around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California