Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:04 AM

87 posts, read 364,752 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a semi disabled writer who needs to spend a year or two living
somewhere that's a tough combination to find: inexpensive cost of living and a healing place with access to beautiful nature.

I'm considering the SW (Albuquerque, Tuscon), but I've never lived in total desert before so I thought I would see if California had a town that might be a little less extreme in terms of summer heat.

I've lived in Minnesota, Seattle and New York so I can stand the cold. But the damp of the Northwest is bad for my condition, so drier is better.

Of course the Palo Alto climate would be ideal but I couldn't afford a closet there.

A friend recommended Bakersfield, but now I'm seeing reports that it's very conservative and an armpit.

I can live in a smaller town without a lot of art or hipness. I just need healthy food and nature (I like nature trails, trees, rivers, lakes, ocean and perhaps I could love the high desert, I don't know) and a few like minded alternative health people, liberals, etc....

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
MMMMMMM.....Well, you may want to look into northern CA coast ( North of San Franciso). Like Eureka or Arcata. The Redwoods. How cheap? not sure. Shasta area is another consideration. Redding.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo View Post
Hello,

I'm a semi disabled writer who needs to spend a year or two living
somewhere that's a tough combination to find: inexpensive cost of living and a healing place with access to beautiful nature.

I'm considering the SW (Albuquerque, Tuscon), but I've never lived in total desert before so I thought I would see if California had a town that might be a little less extreme in terms of summer heat.

I've lived in Minnesota, Seattle and New York so I can stand the cold. But the damp of the Northwest is bad for my condition, so drier is better.

Of course the Palo Alto climate would be ideal but I couldn't afford a closet there.

A friend recommended Bakersfield, but now I'm seeing reports that it's very conservative and an armpit.

I can live in a smaller town without a lot of art or hipness. I just need healthy food and nature (I like nature trails, trees, rivers, lakes, ocean and perhaps I could love the high desert, I don't know) and a few like minded alternative health people, liberals, etc....

Any thoughts?
wow, you don't want much, do you? I am leary as to where in Calif you could come close to finding what you want..the interesting thing, you seem to not like the idea of Bakersfield because someone said it was conservative.

I think, if I were you I would look in the Albuquerque area, we lived there 7 years, it would fit your life style as close as anything. Those cost of living would be much less than in California..

Nita

Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
The first place that popped into my mind for some reason was Three Rivers, just south of Sequoia National Park along the Kaweah River.

Three Rivers is only about 2,000 or 3,000 people but the city of Visalia with 100,000 people is only a 30 minute drive for more services and activity.
//www.city-data.com/city/Three-...alifornia.html
It sits in the foothills just above the orange growing belt. Depending upon where you are in the area you could get either a dusting of snow or no snow in winter. Summers rarely go above 100.

It is becoming an interesting hideaway, a mix of cowboys, tourists, and a few Hollywood people. There is a small artist colony as well as some back to nature types. Organic food is available in the area.

You should be able to rent a place there for between $500 and $1000 a month depending upon location and size.

Here are a couple of articles about the area
The Sierra salon - Los Angeles Times
The Getaway: Three Rivers, CA - LAist: Los Angeles News, Food, Arts & Events

And a link to the local weekly paper.
The Kaweah Commonwealth Online - Weekly News

Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM

313 posts, read 728,327 times
Redding and the Shasta County area have a lower cost of living than much of the rest of the State, and are certainly surrounded by nature - Shasta, Mt. Lassen National Park, and on and on. However, summers there are HOT, and the job market is terrible there right now.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,291 times
Since you're considering New Mexico, take a look at Silver City. High elevation so the summers are not bad and it cools down at night. They have a wonderful natural foods store in town, too. Another suggestion would be Spokane, WA. Cost of living is lower there and again, Huckleberries is the local natural foods store which is excellent. You'll need to check out the weather to see if it fits your requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California