Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 03:13 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times

Advertisements

I am assuming I know the laws? I don't actually know the laws? mmmm....

Old 11-05-2009, 03:37 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
So these broad statements about California are really silly.
Ya know, when you go back to wherever it is that's better for you and tell your friends about California ... preface it with > it was your experience in the part of CA that you lived in.
Please, don't tell him that. We don't want his friends moving here. Encourage him to bad-mouth California.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 6,826 times
Continued from above:

Clarks, here is the summary of the study you plucked your number from. The study is from handgun control inc (vpc) and it is for the time period described below.

"From July 1, 2006, through December 31, 2006, the Violence Policy Center
(VPC) used the Google News search engine to collect every reported news article that
contained the term “drive by.”5 From these results, the VPC removed all results not
related to a drive-by shooting incident (for example, extraneous results included news
reports of football games detailing a “drive by” one team against another, etc.).
Recognizing the limitations of the survey tools used, and taking into account prior
studies looking at the number of drive-by shootings in specific jurisdictions, it is likely
that the number of shootings is dramatically underreported.6
During the six-month period covered in this report, 549 drive-by shooting
incidents were reported in the news media as identified by Google, claiming 156 lives
and injuring 465 individuals."

Rank State Number of Drive-Bys Dead Injured
1 California 115 51 123
2 Florida 57 18 47
3 Texas 56 7 41
4 Illinois 24 11 29
5 Ohio 20 3 20
6 North Carolina 19 6 16
7 (tie) Georgia 14 5 12
(tie) Kansas 14 1 5
(tie) Louisiana 14 1 14
(tie) New Jersey 14 7 8
(tie) New York 14 7 9
(tie) Tennessee 14 5 13

When you say 115 shot last year, I thought last year was 2008. The study says 2006.

Gun restrictions: Roberti Roos, no private sales, 10 days waiting period, DOJ approval list, local laws differing from state laws, etc. As I said, god forbid you like guns. Want em, jump through the hoops. Want an evil black rifle, no can do.

When you say only poor people worry about the price of gas, it suggests you are an elitist. It also is a poor attempt to deflect the fact that the price of motor fuel here is 50% more than the cheapest fuel I saw while driving across the country to get here.

I came here for a job. That dictated the places suitable to live. They are tied together.

Your statements relating to income don't address the fact that CA is an expensive place to live in the US.

The criticisms of your state are deserved and based on observation. That some can escape the more problematic regions doesn't diminish the problems that exist.

You know what? It's really great you reply like you do because it illustrates how a Californian treats a newcomer.

But hey, it better than unemployment.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:33 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Please, don't tell him that. We don't want his friends moving here. Encourage him to bad-mouth California.
Ah, they'll do what they do and if they come it's most likely 'cause they've been seduced by the illusory California that Hollywood propagates.
If it weren't for Hollywood and the mass media, CA would be a very different place.
Wouldn't it be cool if everyone .... i mean everyone ... killed their television?
The dominant culture would be brought to their knees.
(wait, who am i talking to?)

Old 11-06-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
When you say only poor people worry about the price of gas, it suggests you are an elitist. It also is a poor attempt to deflect the fact that the price of motor fuel here is 50% more than the cheapest fuel I saw while driving across the country to get here.

I came here for a job. That dictated the places suitable to live. They are tied together.
Of course I am an elitist, who would chose to be Hoi Polloi?

By your choices, you made your life where you are unhappy? That my friend is an bad way to go through life.

See this photo? This location is right off I5 in California, doesn't much resemble the section of I5 you chose does it?

One's life should dictate one's job. One's job should not dictate one's life

Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Of course I am an elitist, who would chose to be Hoi Polloi?

By your choices, you made your life where you are unhappy? That my friend is an bad way to go through life.

See this photo? This location is right off I5 in California, doesn't much resemble the section of I5 you chose does it?

One's life should dictate one's job. One's job should not dictate one's life
Clarks, ... (i'm butting in here and maybe being too personal ... so be it) i respect much of what you say but it seems to me that you often express the hard a** and judgmental attitude of the "right" and the elitist and condescending attitude of the "left".
Perhaps you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth or have been in some other way(s) privileged or perhaps you have fairly good "karma" (let's just say good fortune) or perhaps you're just one of those folks who has a certain kind of strength and power of will and mind that has allowed you to "live to the max" (as you stated was the purpose of life in another post [which i could challenge you on]) and this is all fine and dandy but you may want to consider and come to understand that all that you have and know and all that you've achieved is greatly mitigated / compromised if you lack empathy, compassion but, most of all and most importantly in your case, humility ... imo.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-06-2009 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 08:29 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Clarks, ... (i'm butting in here and maybe being too personal ... so be it) i respect much of what you say but it seems to me that you often express the hard a** and judgmental attitude of the "right" and the elitist and condescending attitude of the "left".
Perhaps you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth or have been in some other way(s) privileged or perhaps you have fairly good "karma" (let's just say good fortune) or perhaps you're just one of those folks who has a certain kind of strength and power of will and mind that has allowed you to "live to the max" (as you stated was the purpose of life in another post [which i could challenge you on]) and this is all fine and dandy but you may want to consider and come to understand that all that you have and know and all that you've achieved is greatly mitigated / compromised if you lack empathy, compassion but, most of all and most importantly in your case, humility ... imo.
Bro, he's from a family of "dirt poor" California land owners and draws a measley CALPERS pension.

He knows all about humility.

The dude would argue with a wall. (and probably have fun doing it)

Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 PM

Let us start with the last first, Nevergoingback, your reasoning skills, just plain suck, I mean, really suck, your post is just nuts. Your first sentence is nuts all on its on, first point, is bizarre and wrong, what ever made you think we are dirt poor? Your second point is bizarre and wrong, whatever on god's green earth makes you think I ever even paid into Calpers? Your conclusions do not indicate a reasonable amount of rational thought.

Humility? Why?

Coyoteskye, I jess be funnin with the yocals. the core within is that most people live extremely self limited lives, I dunno why, but they do. I am not sure why humility is considered a virtue. As far as empathy, compassion etc.
Heck, I have spent much of my life doing what I can to improve the lives of children, mostly poor Mexican kids, it is sort of my non religious missionary work.

As far as privileged? I realized a long time ago, that one creates what one is, if I am privileged it is in that, I figured that one out, I created me, I set certain goals and have achieved most of them (incidentally, none of them are material, or materialistic.) They were things like sailing the Pacific, living in other countries, skiing high wilderness peaks, of course, after first skiing into them and climbing them. To cowboy, to log, to run wild rivers.

And privileged, hell yes, privileged to raise three kids to successful adulthood ( well 2.75, one has the school year to finish) privileged to raise two wonderful girls who were not mine, but who call me dad. Privileged to marry a smart and beautiful woman who like me has absolutely no patience for those who run their lives at less than 90%.

I knew a kid growing up, he wanted to be a buckaroo, I ran into him last week, graybearded, busted up, he lived his dream, and the light of far away sunrises on the Nevada desert still lights his eyes.

Don't whine, don't complain, don't be weak, don't dream your life, live your dream.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Bro, he's from a family of "dirt poor" California land owners and draws a measley CALPERS pension.

He knows all about humility.

The dude would argue with a wall. (and probably have fun doing it)
Bro, I'm a sister.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-06-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Let us start with the last first, Nevergoingback, your reasoning skills, just plain suck, I mean, really suck, your post is just nuts. Your first sentence is nuts all on its on, first point, is bizarre and wrong, what ever made you think we are dirt poor? Your second point is bizarre and wrong, whatever on god's green earth makes you think I ever even paid into Calpers? Your conclusions do not indicate a reasonable amount of rational thought.

Humility? Why?

Coyoteskye, I jess be funnin with the yocals. the core within is that most people live extremely self limited lives, I dunno why, but they do. I am not sure why humility is considered a virtue. As far as empathy, compassion etc.
Heck, I have spent much of my life doing what I can to improve the lives of children, mostly poor Mexican kids, it is sort of my non religious missionary work.

As far as privileged? I realized a long time ago, that one creates what one is, if I am privileged it is in that, I figured that one out, I created me, I set certain goals and have achieved most of them (incidentally, none of them are material, or materialistic.) They were things like sailing the Pacific, living in other countries, skiing high wilderness peaks, of course, after first skiing into them and climbing them. To cowboy, to log, to run wild rivers.

And privileged, hell yes, privileged to raise three kids to successful adulthood ( well 2.75, one has the school year to finish) privileged to raise two wonderful girls who were not mine, but who call me dad. Privileged to marry a smart and beautiful woman who like me has absolutely no patience for those who run their lives at less than 90%.

I knew a kid growing up, he wanted to be a buckaroo, I ran into him last week, graybearded, busted up, he lived his dream, and the light of far away sunrises on the Nevada desert still lights his eyes.

Don't whine, don't complain, don't be weak, don't dream your life, live your dream.
Like i said, i have respect and appreciation for you.
But you may not know, by way of first hand experience, what it is like to have limitations that are not easily overcome by the mind and will.
Yes, we are theoretically / potentially very expansive and limitless beings.
But many factors come into play that don't always allow for the kind of life that you and your wife enjoy and if you have not dealt with extreme inner or external afflictions, it's hard to appreciate the fact that not everyone has the capacity to "live life to the max" as you define it.
And though you're not a material man you are, it seems, quite externally driven.
There are inner conditions of psyche and mind and soul that, if faced with, you may not have the capacity to handle as strong as you seem to be and think yourself to be.
So using a term like "weak" is tricky.
What may be very easy for you to handle, may be extremely difficult (or even impossible) for someone else to handle ... and visa-versa.
Why humility?
Well .... i can't answer that for you.
You do have gratitude ... i'll give you that.
Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California