Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,109,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and where is Texas do you live? The last thing, Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are is backwards..They are as progressive as anyplace in the country. Progressive but they still have high moral values..
Austin is ok (still far too humid) mainly because of the U and SXSW.

I didn't care for Houston and Dallas and they both had backwards people (mainly burbs) and interesting city dwellers.

I drove from Houston to Austin to Dallas and everywhere in between the larger cities sucked the big one. I thought for a moment that the hillbillys from deliverance were gonna get me while driving through Burton.

P.S. TX moral values are no different than anywhere else in the coutry. Pockets of high and low.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,914,432 times
I lived in San Antonio but made my exit as quickly as I possibly could so I could get back home to California! Before moving out of CA to TX, we narrowed it down to either Austin or SA and SA won out, but after moving there we realized what a mistake it was to leave CA. I wouldn't say TX is backward, but for me and mine, it just wasn't what we were used to and not our cup of tea at all. So glad to be back in CA!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
OMG, I can't believe you said that, talk about a narrow minded person, you my friend are a total bore. Anyone with that attitude knows absolutely nothing about the rest of the country or the world. continue living in your little fanasy world. It is people like you that will, eventually ruin a state that used to be the best there was!!!!

Nita
Well i have travelled quite extensively over the years. Like is stated before, My comments come from friends who have relocated to places in the South mainly.

Edit: YOU ARE RIGHT, NO ONE CARES WHERE I HAVE LIVED OR TRAVELLED. THE POINT BEING I STILL HAVE BEEN AROUND ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT NARROW MINDEDNESS IS MORE EXTENSIVE OUTSIDE THE METRO AREAS OF CALIFORNIA THAN INSIDE.

THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY IS NO DIFFERENT THAN KENTUCKY. PROBLEM IS IN KENTUCKY, EVEN THEIR MAJOR CITIES HAVE NARROW MINDED PEOPLE.

Last edited by Taboo2; 02-27-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 10:19 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Austin is ok (still far too humid) mainly because of the U and SXSW.

I didn't care for Houston and Dallas and they both had backwards people (mainly burbs) and interesting city dwellers.

I drove from Houston to Austin to Dallas and everywhere in between the larger cities sucked the big one. I thought for a moment that the hillbillys from deliverance were gonna get me while driving through Burton.

P.S. TX moral values are no different than anywhere else in the coutry. Pockets of high and low.
yes, pockets of highs and lows, but I think overall Texans have pretty high standards. Now, your comment about the burbs and Dallas, what do you know about areas like Southlake, Flower Mound, Highland Shores, PlanoCoppell as well as No Dallas, just to mention a few areas? What do you call backwards?
These areas have some of the best schools in the county, produce outstanding graduates who head for top universities, the areas are filled with upscale homes and upward mobile families, offer outstanding entertainment and bioth inside and outside activities while offering a diversified culture and a mixture of ethincity.

You mention the humidity, it is awful in all of Texas, but that wasn't what I was referring to, I was commenting on your view of people in Texas..

by the way, traveling to a place and living there nowhere near the same thing.. You are still, very narrow minded

NIta

Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I lived in San Antonio but made my exit as quickly as I possibly could so I could get back home to California! Before moving out of CA to TX, we narrowed it down to either Austin or SA and SA won out, but after moving there we realized what a mistake it was to leave CA. I wouldn't say TX is backward, but for me and mine, it just wasn't what we were used to and not our cup of tea at all. So glad to be back in CA!!!
I agree with you on this, what works for one does not always work for another. We moved to Albuquerque after we left Texas, lots of awesome things about NM, but it just wasn't us..

Nita

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:

You mention the humidity, it is awful in all of Texas, but that wasn't what I was referring to, I was commenting on your view of people in Texas..

by the way, traveling to a place and living there nowhere near the same thing.. You are still, very narrow minded

NIta
Nah, not really. Just not LIKE-minded with someone like yourself.

So pony up. Just where have you lived besides TEXAS obviously or anywhere else in the south (west OR east).

Yeah my comments stand about Texas and the places I visited when i was there for 3 months. I stayed with locals.

I speak from MY experiences. If you don't like them, i don't care. I also have friends who moved to Abilene and HATE it.

P.S. my grandparents were from Dallas area Texas and Ark and we used to tease them because they were VERY backwards people who came to California with their dreams.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:26 AM

34 posts, read 68,115 times
Thumbs up from the Rockies to the Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Californians, past and present, do you consider the state of California a great (maybe, even spectacular) place to visit, but terrible place to live?
No to your question; because California is not only a huge State, but, unlike so many other State's I've visited, is so dynamic--there's something for everybody here. From San Francisco, to LA, to San Diego (those three cities alone are so different), you can conceivably just move within the State if say... San Francisco does not suit your taste, to find something else that does. Even taking just the Bay Area alone as an example, San Francisco is so different from San Jose, and San Rafael so different from Oakland....

That said, I would have to say that as it stands right now, with the State in such bad economic shape, California at this point in time sucks.
Overall though, I love it here! (And that's coming from someone who used to live in the Rockies!)

Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
best thing that ever happened to me. my first impression was the correct one.
beautiful place inhabited by people with a lota problems.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Nah, not really. Just not LIKE-minded with someone like yourself.

So pony up. Just where have you lived besides TEXAS obviously or anywhere else in the south (west OR east).

Yeah my comments stand about Texas and the places I visited when i was there for 3 months. I stayed with locals.

I speak from MY experiences. If you don't like them, i don't care. I also have friends who moved to Abilene and HATE it.

P.S. my grandparents were from Dallas area Texas and Ark and we used to tease them because they were VERY backwards people who came to California with their dreams.
Let's start by saying Abilene isn't not Dallas, Houston or Austin..Abiilene doesn't have one of the best universities in the nation nor some of the best hospitals. They don't have one of the busiest airports or any professional sports teams. You spent 3 months in Texas and are a judge of the state?? wow

well let's see, where have we lived? I was raised in So Ca, spent my first 2 years in College at Boulder and finished at SDSU where I met my husband. We lived all over Ca, from San Diego to the bay area and eventually we lived in Eureka for awhile.

Then we spent 7 years in Wash DC when my husband was lucky enough to be a political appointee, working in the executive offices across from the White House..

Eventually, we ended up in the Dallas area for 13 years, then spent 7 years in Albuquerque..

Now, we live in NWA with many people from NY, CA, Fl and yes, even Texas..Those who are retired come from all walks of live, some were plumbers, some doctors, lawyers and educators. Most are straight, some are gay. Some are very artsy, some spend their hours on the golf course or at the bridge table..Can you say diversified?? Regardless of their backgrounds, most are well traveled and well read. Some live in 5000 Sq ft lake front properties, some live in 1000 Sq ft town homes. They are repulbicans and democrats, from huge cities and small farms.

I hope I have answered your questions about where I have lived and a little about my background..

Nita

Old 03-01-2009, 09:18 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
Quote:

I hope I have answered your questions about where I have lived and a little about my background..
Touché.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California