Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 PM

168 posts, read 637,290 times

Advertisements

We're planning to come home to CA this summer, to get back to family, etc., and are hoping to find a "do-able" place in N.CA (before settling for rainy WA or TX). The criteria for our next place?

Universities (the more the better) close to home
Bio/tech/city jobs within an hour or two
Enough summer heat and winter chill to grow tree fruits
Lots of sunshine, long growing season
Civilization and culture (in or nearby)
1/2-1 acre if possible
Up to an hour from coast

I know, we're not asking for much! We don't mind any amount of rain, as long as it's not all winter long or gloomy, like WA. We are outdoor people and really need to get out as much as possible, year round. Dry heat is not a problem, as long as it cools down a bit at night. We are into home gardening and LOVE the redwoods, nature trails, etc. We have family living along the central valley, and don't really want to be there - too hot at night.

From reading posts, I sense that our best chances are somewhere around Santa Cruz, SLO, or Santa Maria. But before I plan a trip out, can anyone tell me which areas are most suited to meet my list? We might be able to swing around 500k or so if we are able to find simple jobs and get granny to join us. We're retired, but wanting to work. I'm sure we'll have to compromise on something, however, if you can tell us which places best meet most of the above, along with any "ifs, ands and buts," it would help us a lot to plan our look-see. Thanks for all your helpful advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 11:53 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
SLO or Pismo.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:09 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
Yolo County. UC in Davis, colleges in Sacramento, Genetech in Vacaville. Already lots of fruit orchards (seems to be alot of almonds grown there). Napa-Sonoma wine country to the west.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:27 PM

482 posts, read 901,980 times
San Luis Obispo

Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM

57 posts, read 296,669 times
Default Try Shadow Hills, Ca

Hello. Except for the winter chill... where I live has it all. I live in Shadow Hills... or Sunland. Everyone is on 1/2 an acre or more. Beautiful mountains, close to everything. An hour to the beach, 15 minutes to Burbank which has it all, and close to a lot of other cities along Ventura Blvd.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:29 PM

168 posts, read 637,290 times
Default Sunland

I'm just guessing, but Sunland is probably out of our range. Some friends of ours sold their little home up LaTuna for about $700k, 15 years ago. I like that it's right next to Angeles Nat'l Forest though. And Burbank has sure improved in recent years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California