Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 13,526 times

Advertisements

Hey to all of you out in the USA (mainly the La, CA area) I have some questions I would love to find some answers, tips, and or comments on. My husband (who was born in NYC but moved here when he was 12, so he already has a US sin #) and I (a Canadian) have be together for 10 years (married for 3) and both of us are sick of the very cold Canadian winters. So Him and I are looking to relocate to California. We have been to La (and surrounding areas) a few times and love it a lot. So we are looking to move some where in the La/surrounding area, and I have a bunch of questions. I have done my own research on the questions I have but want to see what people have to say on here. So please bare with me because my list is a bit long. Also Thanks in advance to all those who reply to this thread. So here are the questions I have:

1. I know we would need to find jobs first than a place to live, but what are the steps for someone like myself who is married to a US citizen to move to the US? Like how to get a visa/green card? And what is the difference between a visa and green card? [/font]

2. What are the best ways or best places to find a job from up here first? I currently work in the Interior design filed and have college diplomas in Interior design and Graphic design. My husband currently works in a warehouse. Also what is the average pay for jobs in La or surrounding areas for these lines of work?

3. If we do not get jobs first what is needed to get an apt.? We have about $25,000.00 USD saved so we could move first and be ok for about 6 months with out a job, but like I mention how would we get an apt. when our credit checks for the apt. would show up nothing because we came from Canada. Since we will have no credit are there places that will let you pay for 6 months rent in advance on a 1 year lease? Or something like this? [/font]

4. Also I have been looking at apt. for rent in the la and surrounding areas and most of the nicer looking 1 bedroom apt.'s go for about $1000+ per month. Do most apt.'s include utilities? and if not what are the average utilities bills on a 1 bedroom/1 bath apt. with no in unit washer/dryer/or dishwasher?

5. Also I’ve seen some apt.’s that have stuff about needing insurance. Do you need insurance on an apt.? If yes what is the avenge cost for insurance on a 1 bedroom apt.?

6. Also from my apt. research I have found some 2 bedroom houses that are going for about $695+ a month but yet a 1 bedroom apt. in the same areas I'm looking at are $1000+ per month. Why is that? I see that some of the house are looking for someone to rent to so it pays off their house payments but why such a low price? And some of these houses are looking for someone to take over the house payments completely (so in the end we would own it). How does that work?

7. What are some of the nice/safe/not too badly priced areas to live with in 25 - 35 mins of the kodak theatre (this is of course when there is no traffic)?

8. Besides things like rent, food, cable, internet, cell/home phone, car insurance, house/apt. insurance, gas for car, and spending money what are some of the other living expenses for living in LA or surrounding areas? If any

9. What are the best companies in both price/service to go with for cable, internet, cell phones, car insurance, apt/renters insurance?

10. Finally what are the best and worst things about living in LA or surrounding areas of CA besides comments about how bad the traffic is? (we live in Toronto street traffic is about the same is no biggy to us)

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:54 PM

O I forgot to mention we are both 31

Old 03-01-2009, 05:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinac24 View Post
how to get a visa/green card?

Let me google that for you

Quote:
And what is the difference between a visa and green card?

Quote:
2. What are the best ways or best places to find a job from up here first?

Numerous online job search databases.

Quote:
what is the average pay for jobs in La or surrounding areas for these lines of work?

Old 03-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks so muck that was great help

Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
5. Also I’ve seen some apt.’s that have stuff about needing insurance. Do you need insurance on an apt.? If yes what is the avenge cost for insurance on a 1 bedroom apt.?

Insurance for apartments is to protect your property, pretty reasonable at about $100 a year.

9. What are the best companies in both price/service to go with for cable, internet, cell phones, car insurance, apt/renters insurance?

cell coverage is widely available, Verizon seems to penetrate into homes well.
insurance is widely available as well, add it to your auto insurance.
cable gets limited to where you live

10. Finally what are the best and worst things about living in LA or surrounding areas of CA besides comments about how bad the traffic is? (we live in Toronto street traffic is about the same is no biggy to us)

Worse thing I believe is the same weather all darn year, shorts and sandals is all I where all year. I have winter wear from Yosemite I have not worn in decades.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:13 PM

105 posts, read 317,278 times
Well did you do it or do you still have questions? I did it so I can some truthful insight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: