Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:12 PM

301 posts, read 1,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevil View Post
What about referring to California as CA then? would that be acceptable or just not a good idea? I just moved here a couple months back from Pennsylvania, and a lot of people refer to our state as PA...
CA is fine.

But referring to California as "Cali" would be like referring to Pennsylvania as "Penny". You wouldn't find too many locals who would be thrilled with that.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 PM

45 posts, read 126,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
CA is fine.

But referring to California as "Cali" would be like referring to Pennsylvania as "Penny". You wouldn't find too many locals who would be thrilled with that.
lol, thanks...i think i would laugh in someone's face if they called Pennsylvania "Penny"...when you put it in terms like that, it makes the term "Cali" seem all that more ridiculous.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevil View Post
lol, thanks...i think i would laugh in someone's face if they called Pennsylvania "Penny"...when you put it in terms like that, it makes the term "Cali" seem all that more ridiculous.
Are you a Penny native?

Heh, how about "Yorkie" natives? How about all us Californians start referring to NY residents as Yorkies?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Are you a Penny native?

Heh, how about "Yorkie" natives? How about all us Californians start referring to NY residents as Yorkies?
The term "Ma$$hole$" is common in both Northern and Southern California for people from the Boston area.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The term "Ma$$hole$" is common in both Northern and Southern California for people from the Boston area.
That's pretty offensive. Why do we have to come up with derogatory terms for people who live in other places or are otherwise different from us?

Don't we already have enough problems getting along that we shouldn't need deliberately such offensive "hot button" terms?

Please refer to me as a native Californian. That's where I was born, and it's just stating a fact.

We should all try to not go out of our way to offend others. There is already enough strife in the world.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:46 PM

45 posts, read 126,232 times
Quote:
Are you a Penny native?

Indeed, I am a Penny native ...when you say "Yorkie" i think of yorkshire terriers

why can't we just all get along people?!

Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
That's pretty offensive. Why do we have to come up with derogatory terms for people who live in other places or are otherwise different from us?
Not sure why. But it seems that as New Yorkers have become less hated, Massachusetts people have become more hated. I'm guessing it has something to do with sports. The success of the Patriots, Red Sox, and Celtics in recent years compared with how California teams have done (the Lakers being the exception) has created resentment. Although obviously not everyone in CA hates Bostonians.

Quote:
Don't we already have enough problems getting along that we shouldn't need deliberately such offensive "hot button" terms?
As long as they don't lead to violence or trouble and are in good fun, they're OK.

Quote:
Please refer to me as a native Californian. That's where I was born, and it's just stating a fact.
Me too. In particular I'm not fond of the hate in NorCal towards SoCal, having lived in both.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Not sure why. But it seems that as New Yorkers have become less hated, Massachusetts people have become more hated.
Wow! I don't have anything at all against people who live in Massachusetts, except maybe that their state is difficult to spell.

Actually I don't have anything against any state. We're all part of the United States, right?

Doesn't the word "united" stand for something?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Wow! I don't have anything at all against people who live in Massachusetts, except maybe that their state is difficult to spell.

Actually I don't have anything against any state. We're all part of the United States, right?

Doesn't the word "united" stand for something?
I'm with you here. I have friends from MA. As I stated the increasing dislike most likely comes from sports. And make no mistake, sports do raise passions a great deal. Even within California.

At least for the most part sports fans don't get as violent in the US as in other nations, with the exceptions of a few teams (in football, Raiders and Eagles fans come to mind). I'm personally glad that sports in America have no political or religious overtones unlike in other countries, which fuel sports related violence there. In fact the whole idea of mixing sports and religion or sports and politics is considered insane in America - and I'm glad it is. Imagine how ugly things would be in the US if sports was intertwined with politics or religion.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
I've been here since 1955, and this is the first time I've ever heard that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California