Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 AM

12 posts, read 32,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I honestly don't mean to be rude, but I always heard, growing up, that in NY if you fall over dead on the sidewalk, people just step over you, lol!
Silly comment. I can't tell you how many times each week I direct shopping mall walking tourists 5 deep on Fifth Avenue how to get somewhere. Or stop for ten seconds to take a digital photo for someone so they can be in the shot. In almost all cases, I get a look of bewildered appreciation and the "New Yorkers ain't so bad after all look." If you are a nice person, you are nice whether you are in CA or NY.

The difference in NY is, you've lived your life in the bustle and know how to walk around people and between lights without breaking stride - we do this to simply get by each day. I suppose it builds up some scar tissue that folks take with them out west. Yes, there is some pride in navigating the greatest "city" in the world and being able to tell someone how to get somewhere by train or cab just from them telling you the address. But I suppose I could use some logic as well when it comes to selecting a great bottle of wine or where to go for my own Sideways experience in Napa.

I am considering relocating to CA primarily to tone down the hustle and bustle in my life. It seems there is more of an emphasis on quality of life.

I think we should use this forum to bring people together, not drive us apart.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:09 PM

30 posts, read 66,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Those stereotypes are there for a reason and there definitely is some truth to them, but I doubt there are any more blond, plastic bimbo types in Socal than there are greasy, un-educated sounding goomba Italians in New York. These demographics both exist in their areas, but they hardly represent the entire populations.
Goomba is offensive to Italians. I would prefer if you didn't compare the word bimbo to a racial slur. Thank you.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:11 PM

30 posts, read 66,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
"M@ssh0le" is an old-school east coast thing. Everyone from NY says that, because there is a rivalry between Boston (the blue-bloods) vs New York (the self-made man). It has nothing to do with sports per se.

And by NY standards, CA *is* more liberal, at least in the "wingnut" sense.
M@ssh0le is not used in NY. I'm not sure where that came from.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionaddict View Post
M@ssh0le is not used in NY. I'm not sure where that came from.
I grew up there.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,075,923 times
Well...one thing I can say with certainty, is that people in California are pretty laid back, friendly, and not too terribly uptight.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times
to me I kina view SF as similar to NYC, except more to do, better weather, better scenery. Yeah there are cultural differences but the median crowd can operate fine in both cities. I think people in California put more impact on enjoying life in the present, rather than saving up for the golden years and being such workaholics.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,491,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
to me I kina view SF as similar to NYC, except more to do, better weather, better scenery. Yeah there are cultural differences but the median crowd can operate fine in both cities. I think people in California put more impact on enjoying life in the present, rather than saving up for the golden years and being such workaholics.
Having lived in NYC and SF, that's very well true for me. Although some people (my wife) would argue there are more things to do in NYC than SF. There is definitely more to do "outdoorsy" in SF. Although in NYC, on any given day, you can find some kind of street fair, art show, music show or cultural festival. I loved NYC, except for the part where I had to rent a car for $125/day to drive 2 hours to mountains for my outdoor fix. SF may seem a bit slow to NYC's, the streets are not full like NY, you don't have the constant stimuli in SF, which probably is why people are more laid back.

Californians definitely live more for the moment, although many NYC dwellers also live for the second and by the second.
I think it is very easy for people to move between NYC<-->SF, bidirectional.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Referring to California as "Cali" is just easier online, not as long to type as California- I had a friend in "Cali" who was from PA- she always referred to it is "P-A"
Where are you from? I bet I can make up an equally silly name for every state.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Please define wingnut. I want to see if I are one.
A derogatory American slang term for a person who holds strongly right-wing political beliefs, shortened from "right wing nut"

It is the opposite of "moon bat," for example the California state government is run by moon bats. (left wing extremists)

Old 03-23-2009, 12:23 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Those stereotypes are there for a reason and there definitely is some truth to them, but I doubt there are any more blond, plastic bimbo types in Socal than there are greasy, un-educated sounding goomba Italians in New York. These demographics both exist in their areas, but they hardly represent the entire populations.
Thank goodness not all Italians are uneducated and greasy, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California