Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I have travelled extensively around the US for business for the last 20 years.

Its amazing how many times people in other states say to me, "you don't act like a Californian".

What's a Californian "supposed" to act like? Someone who runs around saying "gnarly, dude"?

California Grown, an agriculture marketing campaign, did a study about 3 years ago. It dispelled some of the California stereotypes.

They surveyed Californians in 5 cities: Fresno, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco. They found:
  • 76% of surveyed California residents have never gone surfing
    • only 18 percent of the Los Angeles residents and 17 percent from Fresno had surfed
    • Only 36% of San Diego had tried it
  • only 21% of us had ever soaked in a mud bath
  • 47% statewide had actually milked a cow at least once
    • 37% of Los Angeles residents, 51% from San Diego, and 53% from Fresno and Sacramento had milked a cow
But it appears some things might be true:
  • 70% of us have been to a winery
    • Only 55% of Los Angeles respondents had been to one
  • 63% admitted to hugging a tree
  • 71% admitted to using the word "awesome"
  • 67% admit to calling someone "dude"
OK, I'll put down the wine glass and try to stop myself from ever saying "awesome" again.

Do Californians Really Surf and Call Each Other ``Dude?''; A Statewide ``California Grown'' Survey Puts Stereotypes to the Test
So ...... how is it that I have become the "lucky" recipient of your "knowledge"? Why do you keep quoting me and making me the butt of your fodder? Stop quoting me and leave me alone. You're like a stalker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 09:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,147 times
My apologies, the quote wasn't intended as anything other than trying to be friendly and put things aside after we had disagreed earlier.

I tend to separate a disagreement on one issue from my overall interactions with people.

It doesn't mean I want to be friends with everyone, but in order to maintain an overall sense of society and community in any situation I do try to be friendly.

You had commented on an experience as had others and I was just sharing my own thoughts.

I could have not quoted you but it was intended as an olive branch.

Sorry if my intentions offended you. I wasn't stalking.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 45,983 times
good rk my feelings exact

Old 03-14-2009, 06:19 PM

Hey twink/ they are telling you are hip
mike

Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Hi all
I'm moving to slo soon and this Hispanic blog gets me a bit because i work with Latinos (hispanics are from Spain) all the time and they have a better work ethic than most whites/ they need a space and
California has been good to them. lets live together amicably we all need each other
Mike

Old 03-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Personal opinion on ca workerers if your on w2 you have a problem
Mike

Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM

workers sry

Old 03-14-2009, 06:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,062 times
Please don't come to CA. You can't afford it and you won't like the lifestyle here. It's just not for you, be honest with yourself. You, quite frankly, have the wrong attitude that's really required to enjoy living in this state (or AZ, NV, and probably most of the southwest).

Old 03-14-2009, 07:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrea9 View Post
Hi all
I'm moving to slo soon and this Hispanic blog gets me a bit because i work with Latinos (hispanics are from Spain) all the time and they have a better work ethic than most whites/ they need a space and
California has been good to them. lets live together amicably we all need each other
Mike
Mike, you are not getting the entire picture: very few people have anything against Hispanics but when you live in certain states and have to face the illegal situation you get a totally different view and it isn't a good view I want to add.

Nita

Old 03-14-2009, 10:03 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,667 times
It's not really required that you like Mexicans to live here. But be warned. We do have a touchy group of multi-cultists that hold sacred certain sub groups. When you didn't show proper reverence to their anointed you commited a blasphemy in their eyes. They will make a little whirling noise for a while but pretty soon you don't hear it anymore. Like living near a highway. Remember, California is much more then a few irritating Gobbler Nobs! Welcome readinvin92.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California