Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm wanting to pack up and hit the road with my 8 year old daughter. I have "played it safe" for far too long. This won't be till the end of August. I'm hoping to live in California for 6 months (which is all I'm legally aloud to stay). I want to rent a shared accommodations or a furnished bachelor suite. I'd like to put my child in school starting in September. She'll be going into grade 3. I've heard that anyone living in the U.S. is eligible to attend school. Even if you are not a U.S. citizen. Is this largely frowned upon by U.S. citizens because of their tax dollars going toward a Canadians education? Does anyone have any advice for me? I would like to live somewhere in Southern California. Advice from people as to whether they think this is a good idea, or perhaps a bad one would be greatly appreciated. I haven't searched out everything on the net yet. I do plan on it though. This is one of those "dreamy ideas", that might not be all that realistic. Realistic isn't what I'm looking for though. I want to experience more out of life. Please let me know your thoughts. Also I'd like ideas on the safest and nicest, yet affordable place for her and I to live. I don't plan on working of course (since I won't have a working Visa or anything). Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
80% of visas are used 1 way.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
So at the end of 6 months, you plan to take your daughter out of school and go back to Canada? That sounds very disruptive for an 8 year old

Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Hi Misskryss,

Welcome to the forum. California is a great state to live in. Although it is far from perfect like anywhere. As this is your first post here there are a couple of things which might in getting a better answer to your questions.

Although the folks here can be helpful take everything with a grain of salt. The thing is since none of us really know you, the only thing we have to go on is what you have written in your question. So for most of us there are so many pieces missing that it is really hard for us to give you good advice.

My wife and I have three young children and homeschool in Cal. Since you are only coming out for six months and not working you may want to consider that as an option. Living in a new place can be both difficult and exciting for a young child. Starting in a new school, trying to adjust/fit in and then leaving in such a short time could make it more difficult.

What is the main purpose of your trip if I may ask? To visit friends, have a good time, or???

California has many nice areas. Affordability is a relative thing especially here. And what is nice to some is unacceptable to others. We have everything from ghettos to the lifestyles of the rich and famous and a lot of places in between. If you want nice near the coast it is usually pretty pricey. If not working I assume you will be living from your savings.

You may want to start with a shorter trip out here to just to visit and check things out first.

Derek

Old 03-15-2009, 05:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskryss View Post
I don't plan on working
This is one of those "dreamy ideas"
Realistic isn't what I'm looking for
I'm wanting to pack up and hit the road with my 8 year old daughter.
I'm hoping to live in California for 6 months
I want to rent a shared accommodations or a furnished bachelor suite.
I would like to live somewhere in Southern California.
I haven't searched out everything on the net yet.
might not be all that realistic.
I don't plan on working

What does dad think about his daughter moving to a foreign country?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:51 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,228 times
Well MissKryss, I was in Canada for 6 months with my daughter, as well, a few years ago- although she was a bit older at that time (17)- I have some really nice memories of my time there, as I had never been there before- and my daughter looks back on it as an experience that none of her other peers was able to experience- I, personally, don't think it would be too horribly "disruptive", simply because your child is still really young- although the States are a lot different than Canada, I found Canada to be very friendly and laid back, and just...calm. It isn't that way here, but I say, go for it- and enjoy your ability to be able to spend six months there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California