Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM

517 posts, read 1,803,831 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would like to take my 10 yr. old son to Disneyland and Legoland for spring break. It's going to be his birthday weekend and I think he would really enjoy that.

He is a HUGE Star Wars fan and I have seen pictures of a Star Wars performance. Has anyone seen it? Is it good? Are there other Star Wars things at the park? And is disneyland just one park?

Also, he is a HUGE Lego fan and loves star wars legos and others.

Is it realistic to do both park in a few days? How long for each- realistically.

We've never been to California. If we have extra time, what big town/city should we visit- must see. Los Angeles, San Diego?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 21,897 times
Yes Legoland and DisneyLand are great. You should also consider visiting L.A. and San Diego as well. Both cities are great. While your in L.A. you could vist griffith Park are universal studios are go to San Monica pier or the Hollywood area, ans see the walk of fame, ripley's belive it or not, Hollywood wax museum etc. When your in San Diego you can see the San Diego Zoo which is really cool or balboa park and SeaWorld, and other attractions too. So please consider visiting both cities.

Here's some more information that will aid you if you decide to go to either city.

California tourism website

California]Home]California - California Travel and Tourism Commission Vacation, Travel, Tourism, Visit California - California Travel and Tourism Commission

^^
Opps the website link didn't come out right, can you just highlight the URL and copy it and then paste it to the search bar. Thanks!

Or just Google search "VisitCalifornia"

Last edited by Chicago Sun Times; 03-14-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 11:39 AM

Default Airport?

I'm flying from Newark, NJ to go to Legoland and Disneyland. Expedia gave me three choices

LAX
BUR- Bob Hope
LGB- Long Beach

Where would I fly into and any hotels (economic) in the area?

Thanks again.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:41 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,261,496 times
Both LegoLand and Disneyland are great parks. A friend has a 10 year old son, who is into Legos and Star Wars. They visit LegoLand and Disney Land multiple times during the year and never get bored. They loved the Star Wars show at DisneyLand and her son even got to be part of the show. I have two daughters 7 & 9, who still love LegoLand and we go at least once a year. We prefer LegoLand over Disneyland because it is just so much less crowded and in general a younger crowd. Legoland is probably doable in one day. But you may want to plan two days for DisneyLand. Also, you might want to consider a trip to the Wild Animal Park when you are doing LegoLand. It is really cool andy may be less crowded than the San Diego Zoo at Spring Break. In any case, whereever you go, get there early. Everything is way overcrowded out here! The last time we visited the Long Beach Aquarium (in the summer) we left after 30 minutes as we couldn't get near enough to see anything. Good luck. Enjoy your trip and Happy Birthday to your son!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 21,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
I'm flying from Newark, NJ to go to Legoland and Disneyland. Expedia gave me three choices

LAX
BUR- Bob Hope
LGB- Long Beach

Where would I fly into and any hotels (economic) in the area?

Thanks again.

It depends. If your going to DisnyLand first than try LAX or LGB which ever is cheaper. Although you might consider the smaller airports because there less crowded, cause LAX is a big airport. But if you don't mind crowdness than I guess it doesn't matter. LGB might be closer to your desination though. As for hotels I am not really an expert in that area, but over by disneyland are lots of great hotels.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,541,684 times
Disneyland is two parks now, California Adventure is there now. It could take several days to explore it all.

John Wayne Airport is closer to the parks.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanks for all the information so far. It's all very helpful.

Ferretkona- do you know which one has the Star Wars performance? Unfortunately, my son is not big on Disney- so I'm going to take him for the Star Wars experience + disney of course. His focus will be on Star Wars though. And that's ok. I know he'll will enjoy it all. So, that being the case, 1 think one day might be enough. We went to Epcot Center in Disney World for the first time last year.

Interested in Star Wars at Disney and all things lego (especially if it's star wars)

Old 03-14-2009, 01:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,541,684 times
Star Tours is in the original park, Disneyland.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:43 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,452,204 times
We just a had good friend fly out from Newark to SNA (Santa Ana aka John Wayne aka Orange County...).
It was a direct flight and SNA is a very small and easy airport to get in and out of.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,507,386 times
The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim consists of the Disneyland and California Adventure theme parks, and Downtown Disney, which is a shopping/dining/entertainment district. There is no admission fee for Downtown Disney. Disneyland and California Adventure have separate admissions.

Disneyland has Star Tours, which is a flight simulator ride based on Star Wars. I'm not aware of any stage shows based on Star Wars ever appearing at either park.

If you really want to get the most out of Disneyland, make it a 2-day thing. And get one of the insider's guides that give you advice on the best ways to enjoy the park. Like how to reserve spaces in line. It can be very crowded during peak periods like spring break and summer. Even if you go in the middle of the week during off-season and thin crowds, there's a lot you just wouldn't be able to get to in 1 day. And if you go during peak, you would only be able to enjoy a fraction of the park. Disneyland has a few different admission packages, depending on your interests.

Legoland is down the coast in Carlsbad, halfway between Anaheim and San Diego. There isn't much to do or see in Carlsbad besides Legoland. My advice would be to consider staying in Anaheim, within walking distance of the park, then take the Metrolink train from Anaheim to Carlsbad. The Anaheim train station is on Katella Ave, 2 miles east of Disney. You can get a taxi from the train station in Carlsbad to Legoland, which is about 7 miles. Metrolink is the commuter train in SoCal. It starts running earlier each day than the Amtrak, and runs much later into the night.

Burbank is quite a distance from Anaheim. LAX or Long Beach are very good. Long Beach is a smaller airport, so it will be easier to fly out of when you leave SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California