Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

If Gavin is the Democratic primary winner he will likely be the governor even if the GOP runs a very moderate candidate like former LA mayor Riordan. Whoever the Democrat is will be the next governor but I think Jerry Brown has a better chance of being governor again than Mayor Gavin. If Diane Feinstein wants to leave DC as one of our state's two senators than she will be the next governor but I haven't heard anymore talk of her leaving the senate [esp since Obama is president].

Villaraigosa also may run and could be the first Latino governor since the 1800's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
A lot of people seem to think the 2010 primary and general elections will be won in the swing areas of the Central Valley and Inland Empire. Population growth has put those areas into play more than anywhere else.

Consider, the most recent Field Polls.

Tony V polls well right now in the south but not the north part of the state. Gavin N polls well in Northern Calif but not the south. DiFi polls well in all areas of the state as does Jerry Brown. So 2 of the major candidates right now are just regional supported candidates.

The problem for the Democratic candidates is that the swing areas are Blue Dog areas, moderate and semi-conservative Democrats. So there is a need to adjust their message for the inland areas without turning off the liberal wing. Can they do it? That is what I think we should watch for.

Depending on how they estimate they slice the votes, any of the candidates will likely need to capture the Blue Dog voters in the primary.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
A lot of people seem to think the 2010 primary and general elections will be won in the swing areas of the Central Valley and Inland Empire. Population growth has put those areas into play more than anywhere else.

Consider, the most recent Field Polls.

Tony V polls well right now in the south but not the north part of the state. Gavin N polls well in Northern Calif but not the south. DiFi polls well in all areas of the state as does Jerry Brown. So 2 of the major candidates right now are just regional supported candidates.

The problem for the Democratic candidates is that the swing areas are Blue Dog areas, moderate and semi-conservative Democrats. So there is a need to adjust their message for the inland areas without turning off the liberal wing. Can they do it? That is what I think we should watch for.

Depending on how they estimate they slice the votes, any of the candidates will likely need to capture the Blue Dog voters in the primary.
You make some good points. The Central Valley is alot more Democratic now than I can ever remember & most counties with a Republican majority are just barely GOP & strongly trending Democratic. The loss of all SoCal counties except Orange county to Democrats along with all the coastal counties of California [where the majority of Californians live] mean that any Republican candidate will have an extremely difficult time winning here.

Most Californian Republicans are like Republicans in places like Kansas & Texas & can never gain any traction in California.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,237,301 times
He's not going to win. I know I would never vote for him, unless all other candidates are even worse (and i'm for the most part as liberal as they come). I agree with some things he's done, such as gay marriage, and sure he's had some good ideas...but aside from gay marriage, he really hasn't gotten anything truly important done in SF. In his first year in office he said he would sign his own recall petition if the murder rate went up while he was mayor. It's been higher every single year he's been mayor, compared to before hand, including a 10 year high of at least 100 murders in 2007. He banged his advisor's/friend's wife. Yeah, it's their own business and all, but when you're an important public figure/leader you might want to show more discretion, because it's gonna look real bad for you (Also, good job on screwing your friend over, Gavin). He tapped into SF's public transportation funds to pay his own staff members. City management positions (with salaries of over 100k) in SF went up 20% while he was mayor, while at the same time, low paying city positions were cut. We now have over 2,000 city employees getting payed over 100k. He's gone on trips away from SF for close to the equivalent of an entire year (280 days, including 80 days in 2008, and 21 days so far this year, when SF's financial crisis is at it's worse). It's pretty obvious at this point that Newsom is much more concerned about his campaign for governor than running the city of SF....and if he can't run the city of SF effectively, how can he do so for the entire state? Not to mention all of the prop 8 supporters already oppose him. I seriously think Newsom is a little delusional...like he can't fathom the idea that people could actually dislike what he's doing.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
He's not going to win. I know I would never vote for him, unless all other candidates are even worse (and i'm for the most part as liberal as they come). I agree with some things he's done, such as gay marriage, and sure he's had some good ideas...but aside from gay marriage, he really hasn't gotten anything truly important done in SF. In his first year in office he said he would sign his own recall petition if the murder rate went up while he was mayor. It's been higher every single year he's been mayor, compared to before hand, including a 10 year high of at least 100 murders in 2007. He banged his advisor's/friend's wife. Yeah, it's their own business and all, but when you're an important public figure/leader you might want to show more discretion, because it's gonna look real bad for you (Also, good job on screwing your friend over, Gavin). He tapped into SF's public transportation funds to pay his own staff members. City management positions (with salaries of over 100k) in SF went up 20% while he was mayor, while at the same time, low paying city positions were cut. We now have over 2,000 city employees getting payed over 100k. He's gone on trips away from SF for close to the equivalent of an entire year (280 days, including 80 days in 2008, and 21 days so far this year, when SF's financial crisis is at it's worse). It's pretty obvious at this point that Newsom is much more concerned about his campaign for governor than running the city of SF....and if he can't run the city of SF effectively, how can he do so for the entire state? Not to mention all of the prop 8 supporters already oppose him. I seriously think Newsom is a little delusional...like he can't fathom the idea that people could actually dislike what he's doing.
Pardon me if I laugh but what you posted could be said, with very little adjustment, about just about every politician in the state, and most at the federal level as well -- always looking out for themselves. Seventeen years of working with (not for) the Legislature taught me that.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:25 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
He's alienated way too many people.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Pardon me if I laugh but what you posted could be said, with very little adjustment, about just about every politician in the state, and most at the federal level as well -- always looking out for themselves. Seventeen years of working with (not for) the Legislature taught me that.
Seriously. There's a great deal of egomania and narcissism required to run for any public office.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Does the guy have a shot?
Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
ImRandy, love how you put things. A lot of media outlets in the bay are constantly talking about him running now a days and his absence from his job in SF. I agree with a lot of the other posters that CA needs some one more in the middle and Gavin is way over the top for the state.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
I wouldn't vote for him. He reminds of some sleazy Mercury car salesman in some cheesy area of LA with his slimy hair and irritating voice. He sounds like a freshman in college, young, naive, clueless no-talent who feels he's entitled. Seems just as immoral as Rudy Giuliani, but far more shallow and plastic.

No, California will forever cement its place as the Land of the Larks, with that court jester as Gov. Do I think he has a shot? Sure. Anything is possible here. If his opponent were a black man, he'd surely win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California