Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times

Advertisements

majoun, you are making me LAUGH!!! I just can't get over his greasy hair look and very obvious camera close ups. He really is in the wrong line of work, he should be in Hollywood for sure. Where ever there is a camera Gavin seems to be right there, but go to the city offices and you can't find him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
Or maybe he has a home office in the suite of one of the many hotel rooms he vacations at?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Gavin Gruesome will not be the next governor of CA....whether you like it or not!
We can be stupid (see Arnold), but I don't think we're that stupid!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Newsom is a very popular figure in California, esp the gay community [so has support in both the Bay Area & Los Angeles]. But Villaraigosa & Jerry Brown are also well-liked by gay progressives [esp since as attorney general, Brown opposed Prop 8 to the state supreme court]. And Antonio will likely have big support within the Latino population. All 3 must be considered strong candidates so long as Senator Feinstein stays out of the governor's race.

I'd be happy with any of the above & know one of them with be our next governor

Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Newsom is a very popular figure in California, esp the gay community [so has support in both the Bay Area & Los Angeles]. But Villaraigosa & Jerry Brown are also well-liked by gay progressives [esp since as attorney general, Brown opposed Prop 8 to the state supreme court]. And Antonio will likely have big support within the Latino population. All 3 must be considered strong candidates so long as Senator Feinstein stays out of the governor's race.

I'd be happy with any of the above & know one of them with be our next governor
How popular is Tony amongst Northern California Latinos? He polls really terribly in NorCal. In Southern California he does have genuine popularity amongst Latinos and Jews. However, Jerry Brown would easily beat Tony or Gavin.

I'd prefer Brown over the two celebrity politicians, but if I had to choose between Tony or Gavin I'd pick Tony, reluctantly. Remember that being an L.A. Mayor is a handicap in becoming Governor of California, as Dick Riordan, Tom Bradley, and Sam Yorty all found out.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
does the guy have a shot? What do you think ca?
no!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
How popular is Tony amongst Northern California Latinos? He polls really terribly in NorCal. In Southern California he does have genuine popularity amongst Latinos and Jews. However, Jerry Brown would easily beat Tony or Gavin.

I'd prefer Brown over the two celebrity politicians, but if I had to choose between Tony or Gavin I'd pick Tony, reluctantly. Remember that being an L.A. Mayor is a handicap in becoming Governor of California, as Dick Riordan, Tom Bradley, and Sam Yorty all found out.
Jerry Brown was a good governor but I'd like a new person to lead the state. Jerry's father was probably one of the best governors California ever had [by putting in the water aqueduct\ best schools in the nation\ lowest college tuition, etc]. Brown would do a good job [he's eccentric, former seminarian\ drove himself in an old plain car when he was governor & also slept on a mattress on the floor\ dated Linda Ronstadt ] but I'd prefer someone younger.

Both Villaraigosa & Newsom had recent affairs & got negative press as a result but for Californian's the personal life of others isn't an issue more or less. Antonio is well-liked in Los Angeles & was the speaker of the Assembly for several years but, as you point out, for some reason mayors of LA are automatically rejected by many in the state . Was Pat Brown [Jerry's father] the mayor of San Francisco?

The reason I prefer Gavin is that he comes from San Francisco [where Feinstein\ Boxer\ Pelosi live] & knows how to deal with a very liberal city council. Newsom's stand on gay marriage was very courageous & showed leadership. He is well-spoken & well-respected in this Democratic state.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Newsom's stand on gay marriage was very courageous & showed leadership. He is well-spoken & well-respected in this Democratic state.
And here I almost thought there was hope for you.

Anything Newsom does is based upon how much press he'll receive. Any press, even bad press, is essential to a politician to keep them in the public eye and increase their name recognition.

He's not courageous. He's manipulative and calculating. He's doesn't show leadership. He panders.

Of course, what do I know? I only spent the better part of two decades dealing directly with California's Legislature and legislators on both sides of the aisle. Same for Governors.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Jerry Brown was a good governor but I'd like a new person to lead the state. Jerry's father was probably one of the best governors California ever had [by putting in the water aqueduct\ best schools in the nation\ lowest college tuition, etc]. Brown would do a good job [he's eccentric, former seminarian\ drove himself in an old plain car when he was governor & also slept on a mattress on the floor\ dated Linda Ronstadt ]
And many of the ideas he espoused in the past which were then regarded as being out there are now perfectly mainstream, regarding the environment, energy, and the need for progressives to embrace fiscal responsibility. CA did not have budget crises that disrupted state government under Jerry Brown, even after Prop 13 and the resulting budget cuts and the recession that followed. He was a man ahead of his time. ....

Quote:
but I'd prefer someone younger.
OTOH, Brown has experience dealing with the Legislature. Being Governor of California is so difficult that it helps to have already held the job.

Quote:
Both Villaraigosa & Newsom had recent affairs & got negative press as a result but for Californian's the personal life of others isn't an issue more or less.
It's not that they had affairs, it's how they handled them. Villaraigosa handled the resulting publicity very well and didn't go disappearing into rehab crying like a spoiled brat but continued on like nothing happened, and then blaming his behavior on booze like Newsom. Villaraigosa and Newsom have both been, IMO, more concerned with living like celebrities than facing their jobs as mayor, but Tony at least has shown SOME committment to his job even though not enough. Newsom couldn't really give a damn about his responsibilities. If elected governor, the next time a budget crisis or a disaster comes up, he's likely to retreat into rehab rather than handle the state's affairs like a man. I don't care about a politician's personal life but I care about their committment to their jobs. Extramarital affairs are irrelevant. Villariagosa has displayed insufficient committment to his job and Newsom has displayed NO committment to his job.

Quote:
Antonio is well-liked in Los Angeles & was the speaker of the Assembly for several years but, as you point out, for some reason mayors of LA are automatically rejected by many in the state . Was Pat Brown [Jerry's father] the mayor of San Francisco?
No. He was the DA of San Francisco from 1942-50 and California Attorney General from 1950-58 (at the time, the only Democrat who held statewide office). I think he began his career in office as an Assemblyman. SF didn't have a Dem mayor during the entirety of Pat Brown's political career.

Quote:
The reason I prefer Gavin is that he comes from San Francisco [where Feinstein\ Boxer\ Pelosi live] & knows how to deal with a very liberal city council.
Dealing with the SF Board of Supervisors isn't the same as dealing with the CA State Legislature. There have been no Republican Supes since the '80s (and as we know, oldtime SF Republicans were moderates, not like some of the crazies in the Legislature). I doubt Newsom could deal with the Legislature at all - think of Arnold at his worst, but even worse.

Quote:
Newsom's stand on gay marriage was very courageous & showed leadership. He is well-spoken & well-respected in this Democratic state.
His stances on gay marriage and human rights are commendable. However he isn't so well respected in SF itself. Villaraigosa at least has one achievement -reducing crime in L.A. OTOH, Newsom has overseen a massive rise in crime in SF. Go into any non-gay bar in SF (maybe not those frequented by the political classes or in the wealthy neighborhoods) and there'll be constant belittling of and jokes about Gavin.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And here I almost thought there was hope for you.

Anything Newsom does is based upon how much press he'll receive. Any press, even bad press, is essential to a politician to keep them in the public eye and increase their name recognition.

He's not courageous. He's manipulative and calculating. He's doesn't show leadership. He panders.

Of course, what do I know? I only spent the better part of two decades dealing directly with California's Legislature and legislators on both sides of the aisle. Same for Governors.
I know fully well of your involvement in the legislature & respect your feedback. Maybe I don't know all that much about Gavin other then what I read in the LA Times [also Newsom has been on the Bill Maher show a few times & got a standing ovation]. I think people in LA like Gavin more than the Bay Area Other than being a political "animal" ["manipulative\ calculating\ panderer"] what are the negatives of his leading San Francisco? I haven't hear a lot of criticism of Gavin aside from San Francisco's "sanctuary" city stance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California