Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:11 PM

12 posts, read 32,827 times

Advertisements

We are planning a move to CA from Connecticut. Total income in the $250K - $300K range. Where is the best place to live, SF Bay area vs. LA region? We are looking for great schools, and overall quality of life. We are not interested in the city area, but proximity to it for work.

My question may be rather vague, but perhaps enough to get a conversation going and I can elaborate as we go along.

Thanks.

Last edited by Donnypipes; 03-17-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,508,285 times
La

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,051,105 times
Do you have offers in both places? Which parts? What are your interests? What is important to you? Do you like cooler temperatures or warmer? How often would you like to go to the beach? The question is TOO vague to get good answers. Are you more conservative or more liberal? What are the ages of your kids? What is your threshold for crime? Do you prefer a city atmosphere or suburb? Do you like the outdoors and scenery (rolling hills, coast, architecture)? LA is a big place, where in LA? N. California and S. California are completely two different experiences.

Schools in So. Cal tend to be better but there are many good schools to choose from and or pay for in the Bay area as well. Traffic in both places are going to be an issue but will be a bigger deal in S. Cal.

Provide more info.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM

Sure, I realize I was vague. I have the option of both areas, LA, SF. Let me try to clarify:

We have a 3 year old and my wife is a fanatic for great schools. This is a major deciding factor. We will go private if we have to but feel a highly rated public school offers a broader opportunity.

I terms of scenery, we lived in NYC before moving to CT and appreciate both. Ideally, we would want to live within proximity to a city as going out and cultural activities are appealing. But so are rolling hills and the opportunity to recreate doing a variety of things; museums, restaurants, beaches, lush areas. I suppose we want to move from being ensconced in our home during the winter for 4 months. Therefore, quality of life is important, and in keeping with the great schools mantra, high crime areas would not suit us.

We are effectively, affluent Jamaican-Americans, but have mostly lived in majority white neighborhoods. We are race agnostic and prefer to find our own sweet spot of kindred people; folks who are acculturated, spirited, and family oriented, rather than essentially afro-centric. Most of our friends are from other cultures due to our line of work. Of course diversity is a good thing and we appreciate it and do not choose to avoid it.

Where are some cool places to live in CA? I basically want to choose between the LA and SF areas.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM

8,201 posts, read 16,631,806 times
Ok,

I'll give it a go. Your additional info helps. I grew up in LA County and now live in Monterey. Personally I prefer having more nature close by. Hence I prefer the Bay Area and its surroundings. For closer proximity to natural beauty and less smog the Bay area is a good choice. But I really don't like driving in SF or LA traffic. A lot would depend on where you would be working and when you are driving. LA Traffic is the worst in the state. But SF proper isn't far behind. I just drove thru SF rush hour recently and it was nasty.

LA has warmer year round weather. And it does have some beautiful parts. The South Bay is my favorite area and where I am from originally (Manhattan/Hermosa/Torrance/Palos Verdes). If you live on/near the coast in LA the cities heavy smog won't be an issue. Otherwise you are going to have to live with some smog - check air quality ratings. LA has some of the worst air in the nation. The further you get from the coast the worse it gets.

LA has access to a lot of activities and it does have good access to the High Sierras via the 395 & 99. SF has the wine country just outside the city with beautiful rolling hills. Then you have the rugged coast of Big Sur not far away. And Yosemite is ~ 4hrs away. SF has a lot of nice communities. I would defer that to SF locals as I have never lived there although my wife has. But she lived 'in' the city and really didn't like it. She then moved to San Jose and peferred living there.

Most importantly you need to visit both if you haven't already as they really are different.

Derek

Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I'd choose SF over LA. Although both can be bad, I think traffic in LA is worse than the bay area, and public transit (BART) is better in SF. I love visiting the city of SF. It has a lot of neat neighborhoods and lots of nice suburbs. LA just seems like a sprawling, smoggy mess to me. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Thanks, Derek. This is helpful. I have visited both and enjoyed but want to hear from folks who live in the region year round and not just for corporate hi-jinks where it all seems so grand.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM

5,684 posts, read 4,627,226 times
So Cal and Nor Cal might as well be two different states. They are basically opposites. But by your posted info, the cities of Walnut Creek and Danville jumped into my head. Both are suburbs of SF to the east.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:26 PM

Axxlrod - Walnut Creek is on my list. I'll add Danville.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:32 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,595,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnypipes View Post
Total income in the $250K - $300K range.
great schools,
quality of life.
We are not interested in the city area, but proximity to it for work.
We have a 3 year old
will go private if we have to but feel a highly rated public school offers a broader opportunity. .
Where exactly are the jobs in each city? If we don't know that, the forum will spray paint responses all over the place. Almost everything depends on where your job(s) are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California