Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, I wonder what it says if people automatically think I am a native.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 05:48 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenview94602 View Post
Also I will maintain until I die that we Californians do not have accents.
Many would disagree.
//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ia-accent.html

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

One way you can tell if somebody isn't a native is if they call the state "Cali" (which is a city in the South American country of Columbia). You hardly ever hear people call our state Cali in California, but it's not unusual to hear uneducated people from outside the state using the incorrect name. It's like "The O.C." You don't hear that in Orange County.

Lol.. One way to tell if someone is a native of California is if they act pretentious about the use of the word Cali.

Whether or not the fact that those same people will use norcal and socal in a sentence means they're uneducated is tough to say.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:23 PM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Lol.. One way to tell if someone is a native of California is if they act pretentious about the use of the word Cali.

Whether or not the fact that those same people will use norcal and socal in a sentence means they're uneducated is tough to say.
Saying stuff like Cali, norcal, and socal has nothing to do with being educated or not.

In fact, It always humors me when I hear such things, when I was in school, it was a very accepted notion that the emergence of things like txtspeak (texting language) and all forms of slang stimulate language and society in the same way being bilingual with accepted languages does, so it's always amusing to hear from people who argue otherwise.

An educated person knows when and where to use each. An uneducated person has no such library at their disposal.

Cali is an endearing nickname for California, it's no worse than calling new england new england, the south dixie, or whatever else might be a similar comparison. You don't have to like the term, or use it, but don't pretend you are better than someone who uses it freely.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
Cali is an endearing nickname for California, it's no worse than calling new england new england, the south dixie, or whatever else might be a similar comparison. You don't have to like the term, or use it, but don't pretend you are better than someone who uses it freely.
You must be new here.

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...ome-wrong.html

Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wel judging by my join date, I certainly am, lol.

I'll read that later this evening if my side piece cancels on me tonight. Without even reading it I know I will disagree but be amused, lol.

And, I just skimmed the linked thread and the threads linked in it, and all it is is quoting Urban Dictionary (Just lol @ "citing" Urban Dictionary) and petty petitions from posters with no real reasoning. Furthermore, just because one person, or two, or even one hundred don't want to hear a word, doesn't mean I won't still use it. Like I said earlier, I am a native and I've used Cali all my life, certainly won't cease to do so just because it rustles a few people on city-data.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I'll read that later this evening if my side piece cancels on me tonight. Without even reading it I know I will disagree but be amused, lol.
I think there are about 6 threads about the use of the word "Cali" floating around on this forum somewhere.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:10 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Maybe it's regional...but I'm 70 and have lived in Northern California most of my life and I've never heard any long term resident use the term "Cali".

Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Maybe it's regional...but I'm 70 and have lived in Northern California most of my life and I've never heard any long term resident use the term "Cali".
I was born and raised in SF and have used the term colloquially since middle school.

It's a non issue as far as i'm concerned, I take complaints about the usage of cali as seriously as I do the complaints about the oxford comma - not very.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
It's like using the word "Frisco" meaning San Francisco. Just isn't done by locals. San Fran, Bay Area are used but not Frisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California