Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times

Advertisements

Agree that there are many accents but no California accent. Lots of other languages almost gives the impression that most people in California have Spanish\ Asian dialects\ Russian, etc. accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
No. I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley and have been asked in the past if I'm from Oklahoma. I live in CO now, and once never once looked at someone, and thought they must be from CA.
me too. I'm a lifelong Californian. But somehing in my speech screams Missouri. It's weird.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
me too. I'm a lifelong Californian. But somehing in my speech screams Missouri. It's weird.
Thats funny since my grandparents were from the midwest/minnesota area. And associated with the railroads. My mom and grandfaterh and grandmother were natives. But I was often asked if I'd liven in the midwest because of the number of midwest words and experssions I heard. Now I see them listed in lists as midwestern but way back then I was just used to them.

But since moving here I notice expressions I am used to but not from most people in california. And I'm sure I don't have to announce where I'm from since I've been told before that I have a very strong "california" accent. (now I'd LOVE to pick up some of the local accent before the next visit to cali lol). But my eventual next door neighbor who is slowly remodeling the place said I was from california and I knew he was. It was more than the accent or the way of speaking, can't put a finger on it. But we both were natives of more than one generation and probalbly represent the culture thats being so overwhelmed now and saw that. I really look forward to his doing up the place.

One thing I discovered here in OK, nobody has a problem with the way I run all the words together. They do too!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:30 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Lol, as a Native Cali girl who lived there her entire life until 3 years ago, moved to MI- I've run into two other Cali people, and the second we started talking, the chatter got more animated, etc.- Cali people are on (to quote something a lot of people don't remember, a record player, haha) 78 to everyone else's 45- LOL

Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I'm a Caifornia native and have always lived in California, with the exception of my 9 month stint in hell (TX), and to be honest, unless somebody is peppering their conversation with words like "cowabunga", "gnarly", or "oh my Gawwwwwd!", I don't know where they're from.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What country are they from?
Azores (Portugal).

Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I can tell a native or near-native long time Southern Californian. Don't ask me what I'm hearing, the nuances are subtle, but I've been here all my 53 years, so something's cluing me.

And I'm not referring to the extreme affectations of local speech, such as Spicoli's surfer-stonerspeak, or even Valspeak.
I had lived all my life in CA 52 years and recently moved to TX. I was surprised by the fact that when I tell people that I am from CA they act surprised. I guess there isn't anything in my speech that gives them any idea where I am from, except they know I am not a native Texan.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You're probably right!

I'm a native Californian (accident of birth - military father) but my parents were from New York and between my upbringing and my own military service I have have lived in seven other states and three foreign countries.

I defy anyone to pinpoint my "accent."
Native Californians have been a minority in California ever since the Gold Rush.

And the number of native Californians whose parents weren't from somewhere else is even lower, especially in Southern California.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM

98 posts, read 605,162 times
As a native Californian, can I tell a lifelong Californian when out of state? Not really. I've been to over thirty other states and never noticed other Californians by accent, but probably because I didn't pay attention because they sounded so "normal" to me. I think one of the reasons Californians seem to have a lack of accent is because so many people on TV, people in the media, have the same sort of speech as CA natives. I do notice accents from those not born here, even if they have lived here a long time.

My mom lived in California for over 50 years and was constantly being asked is she was from England or Ireland. She was from Pennsylvania.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In terms of the way they speak; phrases, accent, the way they behave, do things...It seems Californian identity is limited to mostly living in the same state. Is there a real identity iyo?
Say "hella" a bunch and they'll know you're from northern California.

Beyond "hella," the only time I've been able to pick out a Californian here in Arizona is when they're frustrated or angry about something. It could have been a run into by accident, but the practice of "half wing it" in $10 per hr and lower jobs are common in AZ.

Girl i ran into as a cashier told her manager, "the register was short" and he told her to deal with it. Not make the cash drawer right and dock the previous cashier, but deal with it? So.. I wonder how much money they're missing per year!

At the job im at they provide initial training and tell you to figure it out. In my field, unless your a programmer, there is no figuring it out. The people that add the additional features don't even document it! more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California