Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times

Advertisements

To those of you who complain about the traffic where you live...are you saying that from the viewpoint of a cyclist or pedestrian who finds traffic obstrusive and dangerous...or is your viewpoint from behind the windshield of a motor vehicle that is a contributing part of the problem? What are you doing to help alleviate traffic congestion?

1. Are you living "care-lite": using your motor vehicle only for trips of a hundred miles or more and relying on cycling and walking for work commuting and errands?

2. Do you make sure that you buy a home in an area that has mass-transit access to the area where you will work?

3. Do you testify at planning commission hearings to advocate for mass transit and better safer bicycle/pedestrian accommodation in urban planning?

4. Or are you an internal combustion lemming who practices a pious devotion to your car and thinks that other cars -- not yours -- are "traffic" and that you were endowed by your creator with an inalienable right to a place on the asphalt? Perhaps for you the solution is to move somewhere with less traffic, maintain the same pigheaded dependence on your car and start the same volume-to-capacity downward spiral all over again somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,974 times

Old 03-19-2009, 02:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,550 times
I lived five minutes from work, driving over the freeway en-route to my place of business, laughing at everyone else stuck in traffic.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
definitely #4 for me too!! I got to go fill up my Hummer now and drive around aimlessly, accelerating really hard with the AC blasting and the windows down.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Unfortunately, the city I work in is too expensive for me to live in, so I commute from about 15 miles away. If I DID live there, I would certainly ride or bike to work and back! I do ride my bike to the store and to do errands in my little town though....

Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
I lived five minutes from work, driving over the freeway en-route to my place of business, laughing at everyone else stuck in traffic.
Similar situation for me. I am about ten minutes away. I kind of lucked out. It is one of the main reasons I wouldn't even consider one those far flung suburbs. I don't care how "nice" the neighborhoods are or how cheap (relatively speaking) the homes are.

I have thought about riding a bike to work. But honestly, I am not comfortable being on the road with cars. It would be great if we had more designated bike lanes. I just don't feel safe sharing the road with cars. I KNOW how crazy L.A. drivers are.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:41 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
I'm commuting to work in my mind. My boss doesn't like it, but I'm there, man. Mentally, I'm there.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:26 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Unfortunately, the city I work in is too expensive for me to live in, so I commute from about 15 miles away. If I DID live there, I would certainly ride or bike to work and back! I do ride my bike to the store and to do errands in my little town though....
Since your commute by bicycle would be less than an hour, why not ride? I rode a 22-mile each-way commute 4 days out of 5 for seven years.

Doesn't it seem a bit embarrassing that a city like Portland, OR that has 120 precipitation days a year has a bicycle mode share that is more than TEN TIMES what paradise-climate San Diego has, for example? Is it that physical laziness is such an ingrained attribute of California culture, or is it just the lemming effect -- California apparently having the smallest percentage of free thinkers of any state in the nation? What's particularly ironic is that many people could actually get to work faster if they rode a bike as opposed to crawling through stop-and-go gridlock in their beloved cars.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Who wants to ride a bike to work, risk death at the the hand of p***ed off drivers, and get to work all hot and sweaty?

I used a car because its the only practical way to accomplish what I need to do.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
I certainly want to buy close to the light-rail. Kind of hard though, if you insist on a single family house. (Pianos don't belong in apartments!) There's only a very narrow band of real estate that could possibly be attainable for a first-timer like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California