Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 06:21 AM

5 posts, read 12,988 times

Advertisements

If you can stand the noise - try an electric bug zapper. We bought one several years ago and have found it pretty effective at keeping the flying pests at bay. Another idea is to think about screening in your patio. It might not be feasible for you but it would keep the unwanted critters out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times
Wrong part of the country for this subject.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,659,066 times
Like we don't have flying insects in California? I screened in my front porch last year-best thing we ever did. Now we can keep the door open on pleasant evenings without a mosquito invasion.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,460,004 times
We used to get annoyed by wasps in Thouasnd Oaks when we would eat on the patio. They'd love to fly onto your plate of just removed grilled chicken for example.

One thing that I've heard about trying and it sounds like it would help is place a can of non-diet coke, probably even better if the top is completely cut off, away from you like 40 feet or so. They will sort of be drawn to it.

Here's one that does work: Place a box fan near your table and blow air across your eating area, as strong as you can get it without blowing your paper plates and cups and such off the table. Those wasps don't like to get in your way when it is too breezy.

Mosquitoes are most active around dawn or dusk. I spend a lot of time on soccer fields in late summer and fall and now spring here in Huntsville right around 5-8 PM - prime mosquito time. I just use lots of OFF or spray and keep covered. It isn't so bad if I am moving around but if I am not coaching and just sitting there (checking out the hot soccer moms), then I am liable to get bit.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,941,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Like we don't have flying insects in California? I screened in my front porch last year-best thing we ever did. Now we can keep the door open on pleasant evenings without a mosquito invasion.
Move down to the Bay Area. We don't seem to have mosquitos here. It must be due to our excellent vector control! Yeah, for the mosquito patrol!!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,205,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Move down to the Bay Area. We don't seem to have mosquitos here. It must be due to our excellent vector control! Yeah, for the mosquito patrol!!!!
There are definitely mosquitoes in the Bay Area, it just depends on if the weather is warm, and how close you are to standing water/parks/nature, etc. I live right in the middle of SF, and during heatwaves we usually get a good amount of mosquitoes (though of course it doesn't compare to say a summer evening in the Sierras or something). I live in an area of SF where most people have backyards though, so as long as you're in someone's yard on a warm night you might be in mosquito territory. Stick to the street or denser areas with no yards, and I doubt you'll ever see a mosquito.

Last edited by rah; 03-20-2009 at 10:57 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 11:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,571,364 times
Candles work a little if it is calm. Ironically the worse season for mosquitoes in LA is winter when rain leaves puddles otherwise they really aren't a major problem.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,161,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Like the other person said it's nothing like the sierras but we have our share of mosquitoes. A few years ago we had a really bad summer. I must have gotten 40 bites on my legs in just a couple of weeks. I still have quite a few scars from scratching them too much. We called mosquito control out and they were there the following day. He took a look around and found the storm drains full of them. He said he had never seen it so bad. After that the neighborhood was on their check list and the number of bites dropped to just a handful per summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California