Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In November Proposition 8 passed. Many of the people that voted for it were families with children at home. Many Catholics, Mormons, Baptists and faiths that traditionally have families that usually have plenty of children running around voted yes to Proposition 8.

Now our fine elected officials including the Gov voted to penalize those with children. In the past you claim your child as a dependent and had an instand $200 per child deduction. Not anymore. Instead of reducing the size of the government, like any private industry would need to do when times are hard, the government raises the taxes on its people.

Imagine a business increasing the cost of goods and services in a down economy. Prices are good for housing, autos, air fare, and other high ticket items. Business wants to sell and will do what it can to bring the consumer into the business.

The state is doing that to the each of us, selling its services at a higher cost instead of cutting back. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation unless you are a state employee. Now it seems that the government has found a way to get back at those that voted against their belief system. Stick it to the families.

Just my thoughts anyway. Others are welcome.

From what I have read, the State has already made cuts to its employees, with furloughs and layoffs. the elimination of the $200 exemption seems very reasonable to me since those with children ACTUALLY do use more state resources than those without. I also don't understand how you tie that into the vote on Prop 8. It looks to me like a fair minded way of shifting taxes in a very dire situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,447,040 times
If anything the state lost money because of Prop 8 passing . The 18,000 gay and lesbian couples generated over 1.5 million dollars in just marriage licenses and missed out on another 1 million plus for the remainder of 2008 if gay marriages had followed the same trend. Just marriage licenses alone would have generated a possible 4.5 million in fees in a year and none of that includes ceremonies or celebrations.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
From what I have read, the State has already made cuts to its employees, with furloughs and layoffs. the elimination of the $200 exemption seems very reasonable to me since those with children ACTUALLY do use more state resources than those without. I also don't understand how you tie that into the vote on Prop 8. It looks to me like a fair minded way of shifting taxes in a very dire situation.
It seems to me the fellow who wrote the OP has a persecution complex where he thinks the whole world revolves around him and everyone is out to get him. I mean he thinks the government is cutting back on his sacred cow (among literally thousands of other cuts including the cuts he claims the government hasn't made) because he voted for prop 8? That's just loony.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM

85 posts, read 294,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
In November Proposition 8 passed. Many of the people that voted for it were families with children at home. Many Catholics, Mormons, Baptists and faiths that traditionally have families that usually have plenty of children running around voted yes to Proposition 8.

Now our fine elected officials including the Gov voted to penalize those with children. In the past you claim your child as a dependent and had an instand $200 per child deduction. Not anymore. Instead of reducing the size of the government, like any private industry would need to do when times are hard, the government raises the taxes on its people.

Imagine a business increasing the cost of goods and services in a down economy. Prices are good for housing, autos, air fare, and other high ticket items. Business wants to sell and will do what it can to bring the consumer into the business.

The state is doing that to the each of us, selling its services at a higher cost instead of cutting back. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation unless you are a state employee. Now it seems that the government has found a way to get back at those that voted against their belief system. Stick it to the families.

Just my thoughts anyway. Others are welcome.
Admit it, it sounded really profound after a couple of screwdrivers and a bottle of Merlot but now you wish you could erase it.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,828,358 times
There has been a war against the family for quite some time now.

It all starts with no fault divorces. More women getting divorced and more men entirely opting out of getting married.

Meanwhile men don't want to have kids because they are too expensive and what not

Now we have an entire generation of men who don't want to get married or have kids.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,830,078 times
Is there a web site that keeps me posted about this? I hope it passes, but can't find anything that keeps me up-to-date on this! JUst sometimes something on CNN. But that's not enough. I want the details. I hope they gonna win. Anybody can help me?

P.S. I know it's kinda off topic...sorry.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Is there a web site that keeps me posted about this? I hope it passes, but can't find anything that keeps me up-to-date on this! JUst sometimes something on CNN. But that's not enough. I want the details. I hope they gonna win. Anybody can help me?

P.S. I know it's kinda off topic...sorry.
Eh? If what passes? Prop. 8? It did pass but it is being challenged in court.

More info: California Proposition 8 (2008) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika>Kimi View Post
Admit it, it sounded really profound after a couple of screwdrivers and a bottle of Merlot but now you wish you could erase it.
I'm sure he didn't come up with this nonsense on his own and he's just repeating what so other loon on talk radio told him. Taking 5 seconds to think about things logically or actually reflect on facts is apparently to much to ask for.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 PM

97 posts, read 265,230 times
Those that offer ill though out arguments against having children have no understanding of complex systems, cause and effect, and the law of unintended consequences.

First off, the only people who "pay" when having children are those who are usually productive, contributing members of society, i.e they earn money and pay taxes. If you "punish" them for supposedly using more services, they will have fewer children while those who pay little to no taxes i.e on social support services, will continue to proliferate as they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Think about what that means, it is already much of that case that those that should be having large families have few, if any children. Our most productive, intelligent and contributing citizens tend to have smaller to non existent families. That only spells societal decline for the generations down the road.

Furthermore, all those children of today will be our service workers, fireman, police, doctors, engineers, scientists etc in the future. They will be the ones to pay for the retirements, entitlements, and social systems in the future. They will also be the ones to care for those who march around today in self righteous arrogance, boasting that they "shouldn't have to pay for someone else’s kids". It is completely illogical to punish people for having children as you are ASSURED to societal decline and eventually extinction. There are some deranged individuals who would welcome such a dystopian scenario, but most rational people would not want such an outcome. Fundamentally, those who hate children, hate humanity.

Besides, while the developed world slides into extinction, the developing world will have the numbers and will eventually take over, simply through numbers, this has been the case since humanity has been on the earth. The process is even faster in a democratic process as votes are controlled through numbers. Those who believe in having families will have children who will largely follow the belief systems of their parents, who will in turn vote the way of their parents, who will also likely have children and so forth.

The children of today will control tomorrow.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
I have a family and I voted No against 8.
So can I get my child credit?

And I would agree with a "tax the bigots and squares" program , since they cost us so much by not legalizing marijuana and gay marriage, with their darn values and puritan traditions. (peace and love folks, peace and love!)

Last edited by Mach50; 03-21-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California