Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 25,287 times

Advertisements

my husband and I are planning our future move to California (in a few years) and are researching the best areas for raising our children (they're babies now but will be school-age by the time we move), growing fruits and vegetables and air quality. I would like to know which areas are best overall. We would like to stay warm enough to camp and hike year-round, visit the beaches, but would like to avoid the hottest areas. We would like to be close enough to the water to make it an easy day trip but not right on the water. Smaller communities would be best, but affordability is also a concern of course. I know these are fairly broad and vague questions but we would like to start getting things figured out so that we can start planning our information gathering trips. Thanks to anyone who can offer their candid opinions and any experiences you would like to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:24 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
What line of work are you (two) in?
Where will you be working?
Buy? Rent? Budget or price range?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 25,287 times
My husband is currently in the Coast Guard but his degrees are in Political Science and Envrionmental Mgmt.. My degrees are Environmental Studies and Sustainable Urban and Community Development. We'll be moving to the area when he retires from the CG in about 5 years unless we can manage to get orders there sooner but at that point our location will be one of 3 places so we're looking further into the future at a "retirement" location. We'll still be working age but he'll be retiring from the service. Our children are 1 and 2 now, so we'll be looking at schools as well. He would like to work for a government agency in either policy development or something related to homeland security, and I would like to work for a non-government organizations or a non-profit agency. As things stand now, our combined income will be approximately $225,000/year. We will decide on buying/renting when the time comes - it depends on the economy at the time but ideally we'd like to buy. We're still in the very beginning stages of researching the area - we have finally narrowed our search to California, no further south than San Luis Obispo Co. and no further north than San Francisco. We've both spent time in Cali - I trained in San Diego for a year and he was stationed in Alameda and Novato for a couple of years so we know we like the areas but were not searching for the future at the time. We'll be making our first information-gathering trip next fall and are hoping for some advice as far as good communities to check into. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Maria

Last edited by mgilmore; 03-27-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: Accidentally submitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California