Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

I found this article interesting discussing the CA's next governor:

Caifornia's 2010 gubernatorial candidates

Apparently we have had governors hailing from SoCal since 1982. The current likely gubernatorial candidates look to be from NorCal primarily.

Do you think this will make a difference?

I know for me I don't really care as long as he/she can effect a change for the better in Sacramento.

What are the main issues for you?

The main things I am looking at are the economy/budget and education. Although there are many other others important issues facing California as well such as the environment/clean energy, and a business friendly state which produces more jobs and address current unemployment rates.

Can an old school politician such as Jerry Brown really do anything to effect real change? How about the other candidates listed in the article? There are the Silicon Valley billionaires - Steve Poizner and Meg Whitman, Schwarzenegger's budget director - Tom Campbell, then Gavin Newsom, John Garamendi, Jerry Brown and Dianne Feinstein. Hmm...

I am moderate in my voting which for me means I don't care about color (blue/red) but rather what the individual actually brings to the table. No one is perfect, especially politicians. But single issue paritisan politics just doesn't cut it for me. Our next governor has a big uphill battle ahead of him on many levels. Unfortunately I do not see anyone yet that looks up to the task. But maybe one strong candidate will emerge such as Schwarzenegger did when he ran who can actually help lead us out our state's current crisis.

What do you think?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-28-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,242,603 times
The next gov is screwed. He'll have to deal with a legislature full of useless, brainless buffoons. I dont care if the gov is dem or rep; he'll be like the headmaster of a reform school.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
What's nice is that the Republicans look to be of the fiscally conservative variety, not the wacko/Palin kind.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The next gov is screwed. He'll have to deal with a legislature full of useless, brainless buffoons. I dont care if the gov is dem or rep; he'll be like the headmaster of a reform school.
OTOH, Proposition 11's redistricting will have an effect beginning with the 2012 elections. But it'll take time to straighten the mess up.

It seems like a shoo-in for Jerry Brown IMO. In dealing with CA's dysfunctional Legislature it helps to have someone who already has experience doing so.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
What's nice is that the Republicans look to be of the fiscally conservative variety, not the wacko/Palin kind.
would you like to explain the wacko comment? You do not have to agree with her, I do not on many issues but slaming someone proves nothing unless you can give examples..

wacko to you, popular in her state.

Nita

Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wacko to you, popular in her state.
Her state has a population of around 700k, its like someone being popular in Kern County. It does not really mean much.

Anyhow, California is screwed regardless of who gets in the office. Even if the governor is competent the state legislator is filled with ivory tower liberals and nothing will get done.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Her state has a population of around 700k, its like someone being popular in Kern County. It does not really mean much.
Especially since Wasilla is the Oildale of Alaska.

There was a great article last year by Mark Friedman, former mayor of El Cerrito, CA, about why his executive experience qualified him for high office more than Palin - for one thing, El Cerrito has four times as many people as Wasilla...

"Alaska is so close to Russia that who wouldn’t be confident with Sarah Palin of Wasilla as commander in chief. But I can see Berkeley from my house."

I want to be vice president! | Salon

Quote:
Anyhow, California is screwed regardless of who gets in the office. Even if the governor is competent the state legislator is filled with ivory tower liberals and nothing will get done.
And neanderthal right wing conservatives many of them of the Palin school. But when the Prop 11 redistricting kicks in for the 2012 elections, the legislature will start to be less dysfunctional....

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

That doesn't mean she is wacko and it is still a state. Just because Ca is one of the most populist states does that make it a better state or mean what the people think is more important...??? Talk about wacko???

Nita

Old 03-28-2009, 05:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
would you like to explain the wacko comment?
If you need it explained, you probably wouldn't understand.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
If you need it explained, you probably wouldn't understand.
oh I am sure I would, but I am guessing you do not have an answer, for whatever reason you do not like her, but not liking someone is hardly a reason for calling them Wacko, even if you do not like their politics. I know a lot of people I do not agree with, but I don't think I have ever called any of them wacko. Actually I find name calling about at the 3rd grade level, even my kids outgrew such thing while still in elementary school.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California