Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

6 posts, read 35,574 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I am finally looking to get out of the Antelope Valley (Palmdale area) and have a job opportunity up near Visalia. I have a daughter that has a touch of asthma and from my ventures up to that neck of the woods I see that the air quality is pretty poor and could aggravate her asthma. I am kind of torn between remaining stuck in the desert and avoiding health problems with my daughter and trying to find a place to live where the smog is not so bad.

Could anyone from the area recommend a city/town that is within 30 minutes that isn't terribly smoggy? I don't mind small towns like Exeter, three rivers etc. Am I just dreaming because there isn't such a place in the central valley that exists?

Thanks very much for any advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,375 times
Well, I can tell you I have lived here now for 3 years. The air here is bad, very bad. I have aquired what I call Visalia Nose. I am 43 years old........ NEVER have I had a problem before. I have nic-named this town Vi'smell'ya, because it smells bad. This is due to the amount of dairys in the area and the lack of cleaning they do to them.

We had to move to this area due to corporate downsizing. I reccomend, if at all possible....... find somewhere else to live.

By the way, the crime in this area is off the charts!! Check out [url=http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com]Visalia Times-Delta | Tulare Advance Register - www.visaliatimesdelta.com -[/url] see for your self. Be sure to go to the link where it shows you the bad gang areas. yeah, there is alot of those too.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:36 AM

30 posts, read 97,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antelopevalleygirl View Post
Hello everyone!

I am finally looking to get out of the Antelope Valley (Palmdale area) and have a job opportunity up near Visalia. I have a daughter that has a touch of asthma and from my ventures up to that neck of the woods I see that the air quality is pretty poor and could aggravate her asthma. I am kind of torn between remaining stuck in the desert and avoiding health problems with my daughter and trying to find a place to live where the smog is not so bad.

Could anyone from the area recommend a city/town that is within 30 minutes that isn't terribly smoggy? I don't mind small towns like Exeter, three rivers etc. Am I just dreaming because there isn't such a place in the central valley that exists?

Thanks very much for any advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Three Rivers would be the only town where the smog is not too bad. But east, north, and south, and it will take you not only minutes, but a couple of hours to get out of smoggy air. The whole Central Valley from Bakersfield to Sacramento has bad air.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
They featured Visalia on "House Hunters" the other night and I was blown away by the reasonable RE values. Sorry , I've never been there and can't help re: the smog issues. good luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 04:52 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Also, besides the farm and dairies, the crop dusting, fertilizers and the like, all adds up with the natural winds and valley bowl topography that forces the air to remained trapped in a swirling miasma. The only way to avoid it and still stay in the area is to rise above the valley floor into the foothills. I am not sure the altitude required but am sure locals can give you some advice.

One benefit as well is you can rise above the winter tule fogs!

Good luck on your relocation.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
Its a 4 year old post being resurrected. The OP probably has made their decision.

But since I'm here, air quality above Visalia is basically worse than in Visalia. Like Crestline in Southern California the prevailing conditions push the smog up.

The ozone monitor at Ash Mountain at 1800 feet had the most federal standard violations of any location in the country this year.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:47 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Its a 4 year old post being resurrected. The OP probably has made their decision.

But since I'm here, air quality above Visalia is basically worse than in Visalia. Like Crestline in Southern California the prevailing conditions push the smog up.

The ozone monitor at Ash Mountain at 1800 feet had the most federal standard violations of any location in the country this year.
Well then, with that information she needs to move to the coast. Fresh ions flow in every second.
After 4 years i am sure our advice is still valid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California