Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you think he has an unhealthy obsession I would suggest you go back and read your comments...Anyone who sees things only from one side like you has an unhealthy view in my opinion and that is all it is, an opinion...Most of us can say, Ca may not be for us, but it has lots of positives, you think no place but Ca has any positives and that everyone must think exactly the way you do or be proven wrong...

Nita
Nita, I know you are a native Californian & have enjoyed reading your posts about how Los Angeles was many years ago. As a native Californian, you have every right to post anything you like about your home state & most of the things you submit are fine with me. My beef is with those who point the finger at California but fail to see how their own current state of residence has big problems also. When Arkansas voted to deny gay men & women the right to adopt kids I lost all respect for your current state for being narrow & overtly hyper-religious [prejudice].

Old 03-30-2009, 05:08 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
My issue, as I have previously posted, is that some people who live in places like Texas\ Arkansas\ Pittsburgh, etc. jump into California threads only to put down the state & make unrelated & false statements. How would you feel if Californians barged into Texas\ Arkansas threads to always criticize & put down your state? Who in California even bothers with other state forums [we don't care, quite frankly

Look at Arkansas, a state so homophobic & backward that it is considered an embarrassment to the nation! And the great Texas governor has declined "stimulus" money for unemployed people. If such as dumb decision was made in California, there would be a recall ASAP.

Let's face it, life in California is much better for those who value progressive thinking not found in Arkansas or Texas. Nita, you are a native Californian but left to live in Arkansas [good for you] but some of your comments suggest a "sour grapes" attitude [a divorce sometimes makes people want the other to be miserable].

And D-Towner & user_id don't live here yet have a deep dislike for California, for whatever reason. It makes one wonder what the obsession is with bagging on California [do we go out of our way to put-down Texas & Pennsylvania?

I am a 4th generation Californio w/ ancestors going back to Spanish California before America invaded & took California away from Mexico 150 yrs ago. I have a very large extended family that live from Arcata to San Diego & every place in between. I left California to attend college near Chicago & studied\ worked in New York City for several years. I have been to Texas at least a half a dozen times for conferences in Houston\ Dallas & San Antonio. I have driven thru Texas & even have an aunt in Canyon, Texas.

The governor of California has to represent the people; when they don't we kick them out [ie Davis]. Schwarzenegger thought he could govern like a Republican until every initiative he proposed in his first year were overwhelming voted down by the people. Being intelligent [unlike many Republicans] Arnold quickly altered his priorities & essentially became a Democrat in order to best represent the people of California. So when Republicans [who voted for Schwarzenegger] bad mouth him, they are actually bad mouthing the majority of Californians! That's why it is pathetic when Republicans hate on California [and a divorce is recommended]. Move away or accept that you are out of sync with your fellow Californians.
This shows what wacky troll you are

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
This shows what wacky troll you are
Hey, I've already outed you to Texans who claim you are "weird" & a "bad example of Texans." Stay in Texas where you belong! Unless, of-course, you are ignored by fellow Texans [and I don't blame them one bit]. Must be lonely, huh

Old 03-30-2009, 05:42 PM

2,962 posts, read 3,530,774 times
Quote:
Hey, I've already outed you to Texans who claim you are "weird" & a "bad example of Texans." Stay in Texas where you belong! Unless, of-course, you are ignored by fellow Texans [and I don't blame them one bit]. Must be lonely, huh
unlike you, many people on this board have social lives and don't consider their online "friends" to be their social life...great "you outed me to other texans"? what the hell does that mean? As far as staying in Texas...I think I will go where ever I please. It is kind of funny that you refer to yourself as a Native Californio...in one of your posts that I landed on, you refer to yourself as an "anglo" (hence: evil Americans who stole California from their rightful Mexican owners).

Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
unlike you, many people on this board have social lives and don't consider their online "friends" to be their social life...great "you outed me to other texans"? what the hell does that mean? As far as staying in Texas...I think I will go where ever I please. It is kind of funny that you refer to yourself as a Native Californio...in one of your posts that I landed on, you refer to yourself as an "anglo" (hence: evil Americans who stole California from their rightful Mexican owners).
Racism is unbecoming, dude! Read a little American history [it will help you make informed statements].

Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Nita, I know you are a native Californian & have enjoyed reading your posts about how Los Angeles was many years ago. As a native Californian, you have every right to post anything you like about your home state & most of the things you submit are fine with me. My beef is with those who point the finger at California but fail to see how their own current state of residence has big problems also. When Arkansas voted to deny gay men & women the right to adopt kids I lost all respect for your current state for being narrow & overtly hyper-religious [prejudice].
on this issue I agree with you 110%. But this doesn't mean AR is an embarrassment to the entire country as we are not the only state that might vote that way. I think or at least hope, the reason for the vote had to do with the wording. I know a few who thought they were voting for approval, it was worded very poorly. Let's hope it will be on the ballot again in 2010 and will pass or better say, not pass. That was the problem, by voting yes, you were voting to not allow unmarried people to foster or adopt..I can guarantee you people in our area (and it is very much republican) voted to allow adoption and fostering by unmarried couples or they thought that was how they were voting.. As much as you and I rarely agree, this is one issue we do agree on...

I will add to this, I still think kids are better off being raised by a married couple meaning a mommy and a daddy, but I also think any home that can give a child a good,moral upbringing is better than a group home or a foster home that can not or does not offer a stable life. I do object to the Hollywood stars (who I will not name) literally buying thier kids...this goes for straight or gays.

Nita

Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
on this issue I agree with you 110%. But this doesn't mean AR is an embarrassment to the entire country as we are not the only state that might vote that way. I think or at least hope, the reason for the vote had to do with the wording. I know a few who thought they were voting for approval, it was worded very poorly. Let's hope it will be on the ballot again in 2010 and will pass or better say, not pass. That was the problem, by voting yes, you were voting to not allow unmarried people to foster or adopt..I can guarantee you people in our area (and it is very much republican) voted to allow adoption and fostering by unmarried couples or they thought that was how they were voting.. As much as you and I rarely agree, this is one issue we do agree on...

I will add to this, I still think kids are better off being raised by a married couple meaning a mommy and a daddy, but I also think any home that can give a child a good,moral upbringing is better than a group home or a foster home that can not or does not offer a stable life. I do object to the Hollywood stars (who I will not name) literally buying thier kids...this goes for straight or gays.

Nita
Right on, Nita your showing your liberal California upbringing!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
see how little you know? We did not leave to live in AR, many have, but we did not...We left to move to Wash DC, then we lived in Dallas for 13 years. When we decided to retire we went to NM> But by the urging of our kids and a few other things we decided to get closer to them. We did not want to go back to the humidity and crowds in Texas, thus we discovered Bella Vista.

Actually I do not think I blast Ca much. I think it has lots to offer, just not for us..I do think the crowds, crime and cost of living are out of sight..
You admitted you didn't like the crowds in Texas, and except for Oakland and San Bernardino how many large California cities have more crime than Houston?

Quote:
Where did you come up with the notion AR is so homophobic it is an embarrassment to our country?
In all fairness, most likely from Mike Huckabee. BTW, the California Republicans I know DESPISE Huck. Even the moderates refer to him as a "RINO" and suggested he should've run in the Dem primary instead. One Republican lady I know stated she would no sooner vote for Huckabee than she'd vote for John Edwards. CA Dems generally dislike Huck for his extreme social conservatism and homophobia, even if economically he's closer to the Dems, is very pro-immigration and rejects "tough on crime" policies. But one could counter the example of Huck with the example of Bill Clinton. A single politician does not make a whole state.

AR does have a bad rep (even amongst people from neighboring states) but obviously not everyone in AR is a bad person. It's my guess that people who move from CA to AR usually have a Southern background. Going from CA to the South (outside of certain college towns) is as massive of a cultural shock as going from CA to a foreign country. The types of Californians who go to places like AR and TX (other than Austin and perhaps Dallas, which I've heard is more moderate than its image suggests) are not the same types of Californians who go to the Pacific Northwest, which would be less of a culture shock.

Quote:
Again, how little you know about our state. Like Ca, there are many areas and views in AR.
Clinton mentioned that Hot Springs when he was growing up was exceptionally tolerant for a small city in the South, and was one of the few Southern cities its size to have any sort of Jewish population. Not being that familiar with AR I don't know what it's like today.

Bella Vista, from the little I've heard about it, just seems like a bland outdoorsy gated community (hmmm...the presence of gated communities in AR means that there's obviously some high degree of crime - not to mention I've heard some bad stuff about Little Rock....)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As someone who sells a lot of real estate in DFW, a large part of my business is Californians coming here to buy homes. Our housing market is strong, prices were up 2% in February and our budget is balanced.
And Texas has surpassed California as the major destination for illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Quote:
And we execute our death row inmates.
Kentucky just got rid of their death penalty, is KY any less conservative than TX?

Quote:
Oh yeah, TX passed CA & NY a few years ago in Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the state. Must be the no state income tax or our cheap and available gasoline.
More like Bush Administration corporate welfare. Bush, like LBJ before him, made sure that big business interests in Texas got rewarded quite well. Also - in Texas' favor - Congresspeople of both parties in Texas will put aside any differences to get more money and more favors for Texas, while California Congresspeople squabble amongst themselves rather than try to help CA.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:

Nita
You are a true voice of common sense and reason. It's better for kids to be raised by a married couple even if the married couple consists of both people of the same gender than it is for them to be raised by single parents, and certainly much better than those kids being raised by the state. I agree that wealthy celebrities have debased marriage far more than anyone else. I might not always agree with you but you do seem to have genuine good sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California