Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM

105 posts, read 315,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Well of course you can live almost anywhere on almost any income if you make enough sacrifices. But at what point does it become ridiculous? How many people are willing to live 10 to an apartment, drive 20 year old clunkers, buy their clothes only from the $1 stain and tear rack, eat ramen every night, and never save a dime just to be in California?
Well, then CA isnt for you then. I think you're exaggerating just a tad. Your exaggeration can happen anywhere, not just in CA. There are thousands of ppl who live in CA and they are just fine. I think you're just thinking of the extremes.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
Well, then CA isnt for you then. I think you're exaggerating just a tad. Your exaggeration can happen anywhere, not just in CA. There are thousands of ppl who live in CA and they are just fine. I think you're just thinking of the extremes.
Well you're the one that said anyone can make it with enough sacrifices. To some people, making do with one less Starbucks a week is a major sacrifice. Others are willing to live like slaves. Where do you draw the line before your address simply isn't worth it? What are YOU willing to give up to live in California?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:54 PM

105 posts, read 315,334 times
Quote:
Well you're the one that said anyone can make it with enough sacrifices. To some people, making do with one less Starbucks a week is a major sacrifice. Others are willing to live like slaves. Where do you draw the line before your address simply isn't worth it? What are YOU willing to give up to live in California?
I stated pretty clearly that I don't define happiness as having a huge house on acres of land. A lot of those who moved out of CA feel so proud that they now have that mansion or whatever that they couldn't afford in CA. Like I said, if thats what makes THEM happy then good for them. I am willing to sacrafice that by renting or buying a smaller house just so I can live in CA. If that isn't what other ppl define as happiness, then to each their own. To me, CA IS worth it! I've lived in CA my whole life and i've done just fine just like thousands of other ppl who live in CA do fine.

Just because you feel you can't afford to live in CA doesn't mean there won't be another problem awaiting for you in a new state. The grass isn't always greener on the other side and my experience in Idaho was a prime example. Yes, houses and gas are cheaper but how is that even relevent when you can't find a job to pay for your cheap mansion and gas? A lot of those who moved out of CA were able to telecommunicate at home, like my mom, so it was an easy move. But what about those who have to start over and find a job in a state that discriminates against Californians and hires natives first over a transplant? Does that make life easier and worth the move out of CA? It doesn't for me and thats why I choose to stay in CA even if it is too expensive for those who feel having acreage makes them a success.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Quote:
You make broad generalizations about everyone in California based on nothing but your experiences.

Not a wise way to go thru life.

I've lived here all my life (3rd generation Southern Californian) and there isn't one single person I know that lives the way you've described... and I don't know anyone who makes a 6-figure income (not even close http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/citadel.gif (broken link)), if that matters.

I'm just saying. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/shrug.gif (broken link)

Last edited by canibeyou; 02-18-2008 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Typos... is there any other reason?!?!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
You make broad generalizations about everyone in California based on nothing but your experiences.

Not a wise way to go thru life.

I've lived here all my life (3rd generation Southern Californian) and there isn't one single person I know that lives the way you've described... and I don't know anyone who makes a 6-figure income (not even close http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/citadel.gif (broken link)), if that matters.

I'm just saying. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/shrug.gif (broken link)
Funny how you make assumptions about where I get my information without knowing anything about me or who I know.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 AM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,490 times
Sorry... but you come on a message board and state things like their facts. And huge, broad generalization of facts too. Not everyone in California has made the nasty "sacrifices" that you speak of in this thread... and we're alive, well and living very happy here.

I'm sorry if California didn't work out for you. But the way you describe California to other people on this board (and not just in this thread) is simply based on your experiences (or lack thereof). And if you're talking about California in the manner that you do and yet you've never lived here or even tried living here... then there's a word for that too.

(And you made me giggle with you last remark. Care to share with the class where you get your "facts" from, if they aren't your own opinions based on your own experiences?!?! Which, btw, is always the best route to take when trying to give advise to someone, when they're asking about moving to a certian area.)

Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 AM

62 posts, read 376,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Nicely put Donna7. Also, I think that Cali4life80 mentioned that she was from Central Cal. Having living in both Central Cal and So Cal I can say that there is a world of difference between them. There are some similarities but I would bet that most of the "refugees" from CA to other states are leaving from So Cal and the Bay Area and not Central Cal.
Hey Niners... I'm a central cali native.. leaving soon.. and many from my town and surrounding towns are leaving in droves... up until about 2 yrs ago I was a diehard CA fan and would defend it to my death... LOL it's just getting too crowded, nasty air, disgustingly trashy roadways (just drive down 99 between Fresno and Sacto..ugh) we are quickly becoming as crowded and busy as the bay area...

Looking forward to being a 'refugee' to another state...

Old 02-18-2008, 04:48 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4life80 View Post
But what about those who have to start over and find a job in a state that discriminates against Californians and hires natives first over a transplant?

Not sure this is the case. How would an employer know where you were from (if you had already moved to the new state)? However, I'm pretty sure employers will balk at hiring people who currently live in an outside state and prefer to hire a local resident. In fact there were several city-data posts on this including some with novel ideas of establishing a vonnage phone account with a local area code to help make it look like you lived locally.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cahatch View Post
Hey Niners... I'm a central cali native.. leaving soon.. and many from my town and surrounding towns are leaving in droves... up until about 2 yrs ago I was a diehard CA fan and would defend it to my death... LOL it's just getting too crowded, nasty air, disgustingly trashy roadways (just drive down 99 between Fresno and Sacto..ugh) we are quickly becoming as crowded and busy as the bay area...

Looking forward to being a 'refugee' to another state...
Just curious. Have you figured out where you are going to move to? I left San Luis Obispo after 25+ years and have found a great life here in Tennessee. Arkansas is also wonderful. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Sorry... but you come on a message board and state things like their facts. And huge, broad generalization of facts too. Not everyone in California has made the nasty "sacrifices" that you speak of in this thread... and we're alive, well and living very happy here.

I'm sorry if California didn't work out for you. But the way you describe California to other people on this board (and not just in this thread) is simply based on your experiences (or lack thereof). And if you're talking about California in the manner that you do and yet you've never lived here or even tried living here... then there's a word for that too.

(And you made me giggle with you last remark. Care to share with the class where you get your "facts" from, if they aren't your own opinions based on your own experiences?!?! Which, btw, is always the best route to take when trying to give advise to someone, when they're asking about moving to a certian area.)
Written like someone who either bought their house for $50k years ago or is rich enough not to be bothered by the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California