Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times

Advertisements

Here's the breakdown by counties: California propositions: Proposition 8, county-by-county map, margin of victory - Los Angeles Times

San Diego gave Obama a big win in your county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 08:13 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Both areas are relatively conservative, but there are plenty of libs to go around..

Nita

Old 03-29-2009, 01:12 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,542,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
That is a fluke, and certainly wasn't the case for younger generations. Its the opposite for young generations.
Please. Come to SDSU - - I'll show you the vast majority of my students who were Obama supporters. North County does not equal San Diego!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:16 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,741,684 times
I'm a Lib and live in East County of San Diego, (talk about intolerant country folk) now that is scary for a California standard, since basically of all El Cajon, Klantee, Lakeside are hardcore conservative backward rednecks, that believe waiving the American flag, Nascar, NHRA Racing, White culture /lifted trucks, guns and glory are the only ways to heaven after Jesus

It's like small form of Alabama out here, it's freakin crazy scary!!!!!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:27 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,741,684 times
I think the older neighborhoods of OC are more liberal and racially diverse compared to SD County. SD's biggest problem is it's military bases (no offense). Because the majority of all Marines, Army, share the same political views, which is conservative. Until these bases shut down for whatever reasons, SD County will always hold onto it's Republican status, even though SD voted for Obama, the County overall barely voted for him, even with the whole Obama fever going on, you still had a huge percentage of the population that went for McShame. As time goes on, SD will turn more Democratic I hope, and people here will have more compassion for the poor and middle class, and not just for the rich old retires, like they need anymore tax breaks PLEASE

Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I think the older neighborhoods of OC are more liberal and racially diverse compared to SD County. SD's biggest problem is it's military bases (no offense). Because the majority of all Marines, Army, share the same political views, which is conservative. Until these bases shut down for whatever reasons, SD County will always hold onto it's Republican status, even though SD voted for Obama, the County overall barely voted for him, even with the whole Obama fever going on, you still had a huge percentage of the population that went for McShame. As time goes on, SD will turn more Democratic I hope, and people here will have more compassion for the poor and middle class, and not just for the rich old retires, like they need anymore tax breaks PLEASE
I can't speak for the active duty and retired military around SD, but having family in the DC area and knowing a great deal of servicemen as a result, I don't think they're monolithic in their political leanings. I'd say they lean conservative more than US society as a whole, and you'll find very, very few whackjob lifestyle liberals (of the stereotypical California liberal variety) in the military, but there are liberals in the military, especially in those branches which have a higher level of education. Many people would be surprised how liberal Special Forces members tend to be.

As for the lower ranked enlisted men and women, you have more of a point, because a disproportionate number of them come from conservative areas of the South, Midwest, and West (inland CA included).

Don't think a large number of bases necessarily means that a region is locked into the GOP ; the Bay Area had large numbers of military bases until the base closings under Bush Sr. and Clinton, and I wouldn't characterize the Bay Area of the '80s as strongly Republican. McCain's background did help him in SD, though, even though he lost overall ; a Republican nominee who'd never served like Romney, Giuliani, or Huckabee would've done worse. If Obama had served in the military (even in JAG) then he'd have had an overwhelming victory in SD rather than a narrow victory.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
How much longer are we going to have to listen to you try to perpetuate this BS myth that Orange County is more liberal than San Diego County?? Stop making all of SD County out to be like your little right wing corner of NORTH COUNTY. You present an extremely narrow, close minded view on life in SD and you look for BS anecdotal evidence to support it when all of the statistics and REAL evidence shows the opposite of what you claim.

I've lived in the Bay Area, you have NOT, and Orange County is pretty much the OPPOSITE of what most of the Bay Area is like.

Getting of the internet and into the real also might help give you some perspective b/c you seem to treat the internet as reality when it is anything but that.

Your rants are totally off base and the majority of people as well as statistics do not support your point of view that OC is more liberal, SD is more moderate overall than OC.

Last edited by sav858; 04-01-2009 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I'm a Lib and live in East County of San Diego, (talk about intolerant country folk) now that is scary for a California standard, since basically of all El Cajon, Klantee, Lakeside are hardcore conservative backward rednecks, that believe waiving the American flag, Nascar, NHRA Racing, White culture /lifted trucks, guns and glory are the only ways to heaven after Jesus

It's like small form of Alabama out here, it's freakin crazy scary!!!!!
Sounds like East County is still like Texas but closer to the Pacific (and I don't mean Austin!) I haven't been out that way in awhile but from how you describe it, seems like very little has changed.

TBF, NHRA racing used to be very big in virtually all parts of California (with the possible exception of San Francisco) whether conservative or liberal.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:56 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
Oceanside is not San Diego.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
A close study of the voting data per the LA Times graphs show a very large blue circle over San Diego county. The military did, indeed vote for Obama & pushed the county into the Democratic party for the first time in a long time, I suspect. There is a very small red circle over Orange county to denote that Obama came close to winning there also

Those yahoos in east San Diego are a dying breed [elderly white protestants w/ only high school education] signaling essentially the end of the GOP in California as we have know it. Really breaks me up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California