Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,798,876 times

Advertisements

In the simplistic Red/Blue country divide San Diego County turned light blue from light pink in the last election and the number of registered democrats vs republicans. The central city is pretty solid blue (my neighborhood I would describe as deep indigo) but as others have noted north county is like Orange County in more ways than one (vast housing tracts with Big Box strip malls of sameness and conservative, materialistic values with a couple of cool beach towns to give it just a hint of life and culture) and east county is amazingly redneck. I don't think there are too many other areas that go from hip progressive neighborhoods to Deep South-like backwards yahoos in ten miles flat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
sav858 has it right....OC is the antithesis of the BayArea.

My personal experience with San Diego, is that even with the military it is still much more liberal than OC. Military folks can actually be quite liberal minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How much longer are we going to have to listen to you try to perpetuate this BS myth that Orange County is more liberal than San Diego County?? Stop making all of SD County out to be like your little right wing corner of NORTH COUNTY. You present an extremely narrow, close minded view on life in SD and you look for BS anecdotal evidence to support it when all of the statistics and REAL evidence shows the opposite of what you claim.

I've lived in the Bay Area, you have NOT, and Orange County is pretty much the OPPOSITE of what most of the Bay Area is like.

Getting of the internet and into the real also might help give you some perspective b/c you seem to treat the internet as reality when it is anything but that.

Your rants are totally off base and the majority of people as well as statistics do not support your point of view that OC is more liberal, SD is more moderate overall than OC.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,459,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Those yahoos in east San Diego are a dying breed [elderly white protestants w/ only high school education] signaling essentially the end of the GOP in California as we have know it. Really breaks me up
East County does sound like it would be a good place for a Blue Dog Dem with a military background to run for office. Culturally, it's certainly not like any other area in an urban coastal CA county. Whether it changes in the future remains to be seen.

You're correct about many people with military backgrounds voting for Obama. However, if he'd started off his legal career in the JAG and thus had military experience, SD County would've been a landslide for him rather than a relatively narrow victory. As for OC: time will tell whether Obama is able to take it in 2012 (and thus become the first Dem since FDR to take OC).

Old 04-03-2009, 12:41 PM

382 posts, read 587,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I'm a Lib and live in East County of San Diego, (talk about intolerant country folk) now that is scary for a California standard, since basically of all El Cajon, Klantee, Lakeside are hardcore conservative backward rednecks, that believe waiving the American flag, Nascar, NHRA Racing, White culture /lifted trucks, guns and glory are the only ways to heaven after Jesus

It's like small form of Alabama out here, it's freakin crazy scary!!!!!
I'm a Democratic. What is wrong with waiving the American flag? When did that become a "Republican only" thing?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,786,267 times
While I have never lived in San Diego, I have lived in OC..It is far from liberal excluding a few small coastal pockets. I moved directly from Boulder Colorado to Newport several years back, that was about as radical a move socially, and politically as I have personally experienced. Even Denver where I live now is FAR left in comparison to OC. I am not putting a negative spin on conservatism with the post, just saying that the OC over-all leans pretty right wing. It seems more fiscally conservative than southern style moralist, however there is an element that holds the secondary as part of their values system.

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-03-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,838,590 times
This is an old thread that City Data referred me to. I thought it was worth noting that once again, in the 2012 Presidential election, Obama carried San Diego County but not Orange County. Also, the city of San Diego elected a Democratic mayor, for the first time in decades. A Democrat won a closely contested City Council seat, and a longtime Republican Congressman (Brian Bilbray) was defeated. I think it's hard to argue that Orange County is more liberal than San Diego County.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
That is a fluke, and certainly wasn't the case for younger generations. Its the opposite for young generations.
I cannot even read the rest of this thread. While I agree more than most about SD's conservative nature, to say it's more conservative than OC is almost delusional. I noticed you're in Oceanside, bare in mind, that's not San Diego. Oceanside remains stupidly conservative. San Diego has shifted to the left, which means it has become more center. Its still slowly moving left.

If any place in SoCal has anything in common it would be SD although this is relatively speaking.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I'm a Lib and live in East County of San Diego, (talk about intolerant country folk) now that is scary for a California standard, since basically of all El Cajon, Klantee, Lakeside are hardcore conservative backward rednecks, that believe waiving the American flag, Nascar, NHRA Racing, White culture /lifted trucks, guns and glory are the only ways to heaven after Jesus

It's like small form of Alabama out here, it's freakin crazy scary!!!!!
oh how I don't miss east county. Wait till you walk around out there dating a blond white girl. Oh I was never there after dark.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I think the older neighborhoods of OC are more liberal and racially diverse compared to SD County. SD's biggest problem is it's military bases (no offense). Because the majority of all Marines, Army, share the same political views, which is conservative. Until these bases shut down for whatever reasons, SD County will always hold onto it's Republican status, even though SD voted for Obama, the County overall barely voted for him, even with the whole Obama fever going on, you still had a huge percentage of the population that went for McShame. As time goes on, SD will turn more Democratic I hope, and people here will have more compassion for the poor and middle class, and not just for the rich old retires, like they need anymore tax breaks PLEASE
I agree completely. The bay area was once had more conservatives than today. Then all the military bases closed. Now even the suburbs here are blue.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Sounds like East County is still like Texas but closer to the Pacific (and I don't mean Austin!) I haven't been out that way in awhile but from how you describe it, seems like very little has changed.

TBF, NHRA racing used to be very big in virtually all parts of California (with the possible exception of San Francisco) whether conservative or liberal.
I was last out there over a year ago. Yep they're still a bunch of freaking yahoos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California