Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 67,308 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job at the Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz. We are trying to figure out if there is a family & dog friendly community within a 30-40 min commute of there. We really need someplace that has lots of greenspace/parks, and has a low personal crime rate. We can only pay about $1700-$2000 a month for rent. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Well,

I moved form CS to Monterey ~ 9 months ago with my wife and three children. We really like both Santa Cruz and the Monterey areas. But the thing you must realize is that prices are much higher for both homes and rentals. Check out Craigslist to get an idea of the prices.

With regards to Santa Cruz areas good for families, I would recommend Aptos, Scotts Valley and maybe Capitola. But you will be pushing the top of your envelope for monthly rent and may have to exceed it depending on how small/old of a place you are willing to live in. You didn't mention if you have children. The schools play a big factor as well, just like in CS and anywhere really. The best school districts cost more to live in. I think Scotts Valley has the highest rated schools. Some of the others are surprising low. I would avoid Santa Cruz proper as it is a bit more well... grungy, crouded and has a bit more crime.

30-40 minutes won't get you very far outside Santa Cruz especially during rush hour so I wouldn't even look into driving the 17 to Los Gatos. Plus the 17 can be a nightmare drive with very dangerous roads and drivers.

Watsonville is drivable to the south but has higher crime and I wouldn't consider it as a first option. However there are pockets which have some nicer homes such as in Seaview Ranch which can be purchased for less. There is a high % of hispanics which may or may not matter to you.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-02-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 67,308 times
Thank you for the info, and the warning about the 17! We are looking to rent for the Summer, and get a feel for the region before we even think about buying. Right now we live in one of the smallest houses in one of the best neighborhoods in town, and our home appraises for about $225,000. Talk about sticker shock!

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Really,

Where are you in CS? We sold our home in Wagon Trails for $237K back in August. That is located near Powers and Woodman. With the market dropping we were happy to sell it and basically break even.

Yeah, it is not a good time to buy with prices continuing to drop. I am hoping they will drop much more as it is still *way* too pricey for what you get. We were spoiled in our nice big newer home is CS that is for sure.

Derek

Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 61,542 times
Try Felton, BL or Boulder Creek, its pretty nice up there, and kind of rural. Crime's mostly petty although sometimes there's stories about dead bodies being dumped here, but its better than living anywhere around SC or Capitola, especially with how run down SC seems to be now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California