Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfield View Post
I live in California and am planning to move to WA soon. .... I am looking for good people and community am I wrong to look here?
Probably you should look to AK, WY, SD, & ND for your desires (even CO ). WA is heading to become just like CA, and has the electorate to get there. OR is slightly ahead of WA on this quest.

Folks are congenial in WA, but I haven't found the community support evident in the above states. You will have a much better chance of finding your desired community in the eastern section of WA (area code 509). Check out some ag (farming) centric communities.

I don't consider the residents of CA as the problem (in general...) but the State could have restricted the outflow of residential real estate $$ to not exceed the national average home price, and everyone would be in better shape today.
  • CA would have the money they need to operate,
  • ex-CA would have hoards of money invested in CA investment props.
  • Those of us 'regionals' in effected states would not be spending 25-40% of our income paying property taxes on unrealistic property values.
JMHO ... $.02
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
To Maxfield: Any reason why you didn't investigate small town living in California? Plenty of them.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:07 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
I am looking for good people and community am I wrong to look here? (Washington)
Yes.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:01 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
HEY! This thread got hijacked from the Washington Forum! eh?

Well, anyway, the Seattle metro area is already north-northern California ... you're too late if you want to escape the substantially vacuous, shallow coastal California city culture by heading north to Puget Sound. I miss the late 60's! Back when San Francisco and Berkeley were still real -- and Seattle was laid back small town-ish full of flannel and waffle-stomper hiking boots, chain saws and rifle-racks in pick-up back windows. Long gone my friends.

Oh wait, I did Vietnam back then too ... no, that wasn't so great ... nevermind the 60's. (Still, back when then, the west coast had character ... now StealthRabbit is right: you'll have to go to more rural in the mid-west or mountain states to feel old-timey community-feely. By the way: rural Washington isn't much better escape -- pretty conservative and not real fond of California license plates ... if you come up for a look-see, steal some Oregon plates before you cross the Columbia River.)

Old 09-26-2010, 01:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
It's not "californian's" that are to blame for changes in other states, it's the undeniable fact that people (no matter where they originally come from) want places they can afford to live to feel like CA becasue they can't actually afford to live there.

It's amusing to see folks "blame CA" or whatever, when the truth is that the changes come from within. I suppose if you consider CA to be the ultimate, and people try to copy that, then yeah, you can blame CA. But you can only blame it for being what everyone wants. And that's not CA's fault.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Been saying for years, if the terrorist hijackings had occured in CA, the people in other states would have said we deserved it.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Been saying for years, if the terrorist hijackings had occured in CA, the people in other states would have said we deserved it.
Yet they still flock here.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:39 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yet they still flock here.
bunch of flockers.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not "californian's" that are to blame for changes in other states, it's the undeniable fact that people (no matter where they originally come from) want places they can afford to live to feel like CA becasue they can't actually afford to live there.

It's amusing to see folks "blame CA" or whatever, when the truth is that the changes come from within. I suppose if you consider CA to be the ultimate, and people try to copy that, then yeah, you can blame CA. But you can only blame it for being what everyone wants. And that's not CA's fault.
Heh Now there's some truth to what you are saying ... but it's a bit over the top to say "people (no matter where they originally come from) want places they can afford to live to feel like CA becasue they can't actually afford to live there."

There's millions and millions of folks who CAN afford to live in California who nevertheless prefer elsewhere. California is super. I lived outside of Fresno at one time (hated it) and in San Francisco and the Bay (literally in the Bay on Treasure Island) for a time and loved it. I later moved up to Seattle ... I have stayed mostly in the Puget Sound region up here since, preferring it to anyplace else. I return constantly to camp and visit California. Love it. Can afford it. But I stay in Washington because I prefer its individual character.

California, geographically, is an entire planet in range. California culturally is about as varied, really. But the California that folks from other places sometimes find objectionable is the coastal city culture. Over the years, this coastal population has morphed Hollywood style considerably, and largely vacuously. And the money from real estate appreciation gave that culture legs to places where people who prefer to NOT live California city culture don't appreciate the lifestyle invasion and impact on local real estate prices.

Each region of the country has some individual character that fits its respective geography and history. When people from "away" invade California, they typically are actually seeking the California culture. They don't try to "live Wyoming" in San Diego. But it was typically the case, for many years until the recent recession, that when Californians flush with profits from selling California real estate to these newcomers headed out to other geographical regions, they retained the cultural orientations and habits from the source of their profits. Trying to "live California" in non-California communities full of folks who prefer to live where they are, and NOT in California, is where the friction develops.

California is NOT "what everybody wants". California is great -- IN California.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_singlemother View Post
I agree! California speculators and investors jacked up Arizona. They don't even want to live here but take as much as they can and leave. I got tired of Cali business purchasing my apartment then kicking me out without much notice because their investors just want a place without rentors.

It happened too many times I am ready to get the H...out of Arizona and move farther from Cali as much as I can.

Where is a good Cali repellant state?
Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California