Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
This is hogwash on many levels ...
I prefer to think of it as swine cleanliness enhancement solution.

Quote:
Also, note just because you own a home in California does not mean you pay California income tax. Many wealthy folks simply own vacation homes in California, they are not residents and as result are not subject to California income taxes.
Remember that there are many taxes besides income tax, including sales tax and property tax. Sales tax hits the poor harder than the affluent. I'm wondering if your statistics for the "top 1%" etc. are focusing on only income taxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I watch Bill Maher regularly & his guests include many Hollywood celebrities.
Bill Maher's guests have absolutely no connection with reality as perceived by ordinary citizens, other than as entertainment.

Quote:
Yeah, they give to their church to stop gay marriage & then resent it that their names are made public & they loose friends\jobs\respect. Really great people.
That's just wrong on so many levels. It was just one church, the Mormons. They are not representative of churches in general.

Quote:
Are you serious? The celebrities in Hollywood are dingbats that represent a fairly small portion of the wealth that is in California.
Not dingbats. Moon bats.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It ain't my party, Happ.

It's not so much what you say, which is usually one-sided. It's what you don't say, cant understand and/or won't admit.

Pity!

But you're right about one thing, I'm better than being tunnel-visioned because I worked the issues for almost 20 years. One of the major reasons I was stuck in and eventually retired from middle management was because I wouldn't roll-over and toe any party line. I was purely analytical rather than partisan. It held me back professionally but I was always able to feel good about what I did and the advice and recommendations I gave, even when they weren't heeded.

Proposition 83 is a prime example. I was the principal analyst for the Administration on that one and I warned against it on several issues. The Governor's Office chose to ignore my warnings and it's, predictably, a mess and unenforceable in a number of areas.

Oh well! My conscience is clear.

Oh, by the way, that was a Republican offering. If I'd been a toady to the party I would have supported it too. Thankfully, I'm nobody's mewling yes-man and will never be servile. I will never be a party happ....umm....hack!
And I don't think you are being entirely honest since I can not recall ever reading anything negative you have written about Republicans in California. I know it is not the popular thing to admit being or voting Republican [it can truly be costly to one's career\ social life]. If you disagree with my statements please enlighten me where I have stated anything that is false. But to call me a "hack" suggests that you are emotionally upset with progressive thinking & probably why you plan to move to the South.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Seriously, do you have the capacity to post anything without denigrating the Republicans?

Don't you realize that it would be equally easy and, perhaps, even more accurate, to skewer the Democrats since they've been in power in both the Congress and the CA Legislature for years and both the country and the state have tanked.
Good one Curmudgeon! I must spread some reputation around before giving you more.

Happ's mindless partyism is beginning to sound like a broken record. "The Republicans are [skip]... The Republicans are [skip]... The Republicans are [skip]..."

Old 05-17-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I think it is important that Californians know who votes against taxes & what the consequences have been.
The consequences of voting for taxes is more taxes.

I'll concede that there is a common good and common benefit in supporting the government through our paying taxes, but California's government is beginning to suck out our blood in terms of too high taxes.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Lovehound

That's just wrong on so many levels. It was just one church, the Mormons. They are not representative of churches in general.

That's not true. The Mormons were very involved in stopping gay marriage but Catholic groups [ie. Knights of Columbus] & many evangelical churches also contributed. The anti-gay proposal was the position of the Republican party in California & even one of the GOP candidates for governor [Peg Whitman] publicly supports denying human rights to gays.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I thought this thread is about the May 19th Election

Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
And I don't think you are being entirely honest since I can not recall ever reading anything negative you have written about Republicans in California. I know it is not the popular thing to admit being or voting Republican [it can truly be costly to one's career\ social life]. If you disagree with my statements please enlighten me where I have stated anything that is false. But to call me a "hack" suggests that you are emotionally upset with progressive thinking & probably why you plan to move to the South.
I don't harp....happ....hack....on either party because i find them both to be immature and ridiculous. But if it will help you, I think all this divisive polarity and partisanship began with Nixon's woes, wrongs and resignation.

I don't have a career to be worried about since I'm retired and planning on staying that. My social life is not, nor has it ever been, dependent upon party affiliation. Persons who would make it so are idiots as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite eccumenical or c(C)atholic (universal) in terms of my friends and neighbors.

"False" vs one-sided is a matter of approach. Progressive thinking, in my opinion, is what ails this state and has since the 60s as it entails accepting EVERYTHING without degrees or values lest one be considered old-fashioned and backwards or capable of original thought.

I am above being emotionally upset because that would infer that I find attitudes such as yours so nationally pervasive that we're doomed. Rather, I am happy to be leaving what will soon be simply an extension of a third-world country because the self-styled progressives have sold it out in the name of that great god, political correctness. How shallow, unthinking and dependent one must be to so fear ostracism for their political bent. Let me guess. Those who would shun and isolate me, if I was a Republican, are those same self-styled progressives -- the kind of "group-think" automatons who have destroyed this state, in my opinion. Truly George Orwell turned out to be more of a prophet than a chronicler.

Again, for the record, I'm moving to the mid-west.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I don't harp....happ....hack....on either party because i find them both to be immature and ridiculous. But if it will help you, I think all this divisive polarity and partisanship began with Nixon's woes, wrongs and resignation.

I don't have a career to be worried about since I'm retired and planning on staying that. My social life is not, nor has it ever been, dependent upon party affiliation. Persons who would make it so are idiots as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite eccumenical or c(C)atholic (universal) in terms of my friends and neighbors.

"False" vs one-sided is a matter of approach. Progressive thinking, in my opinion, is what ails this state and has since the 60s as it entails accepting EVERYTHING without degrees or values lest one be considered old-fashioned and backwards or capable of original thought.

I am above being emotionally upset because that would infer that I find attitudes such as yours so nationally pervasive that we're doomed. Rather, I am happy to be leaving what will soon be simply an extension of a third-world country because the self-styled progressives have sold it out in the name of that great god, political correctness. How shallow, unthinking and dependent one must be to so fear ostracism for their political bent. Let me guess. Those who would shun and isolate me, if I was a Republican, are those same self-styled progressives -- the kind of "group-think" automatons who have destroyed this state, in my opinion. Truly George Orwell turned out to be more of a prophet than a chronicler.

I have always shown you respect even though we disagree. I have never called you a "hack" or any personal insult & will not respond to you again.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Actually, it kinda flaps in the wind. It's difficult to discuss elections without politics intruding.

But take heart. Come Tuesday it's all over but the tears and/or derisive hoots and chuckles.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That's your problem! You thought!

Quote:
For the record, I hope to leave this California mess to those who remain here after I move too. I'll warn you that I've been saying this for several years, but this time my career is tanked and I have little reason to remain. I'm spending my full time on fixing my "punch list" of things I need to do before I can list my house. I'm suffering the full impact of putting off all this "stuff" for several years. I'm my own worst enemy.

Quote:
Actually, it kinda flaps in the wind. It's difficult to discuss elections without politics intruding.

But take heart. Come Tuesday it's all over but the tears and/or derisive hoots and chuckles.
Discuss politics without discussing politics?

I've said earlier in the topic and I'll repeat, I'll be glad when this topic is over a few days after the election, or at least it will be dead then except for a very few of us.

Enough. Two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California