Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
I think all those that will get reduced monthly payments should move.....Move to Florida because our govenor CARES.....It appears that California is becoming just like Philly. A city that does not care about the senior citizens or disabled....What's next? Taxes to be applied on current taxes so the average senior citizen must do something else to survive.....

California is in a calamity, a crisis, a tight spot, in a corner or whatever else we can think about saying that equals a real mess.........Californians can thank the "Terminator".......

I am truly sorry for your problems and while we are retired living in Florida on $8.5k a month is just OK. I understand that California has a higher cost of living so then some of you good guys must be able to move to the East coast. Weather is great..... C.O.L. is lower than California..... Florida shows a lot of respect for Veterans too....

and you are being funny of course!!!

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Why is their this idea that people are entitled to anything? It amazes me that many believe that they are entitled to any benefit. Life is not always perfect. Things happen to people all the time. Why should I pay for someone that didn't plan better for retirement?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Why is their this idea that people are entitled to anything? It amazes me that many believe that they are entitled to any benefit. Life is not always perfect. Things happen to people all the time. Why should I pay for someone that didn't plan better for retirement?
What does this have to do with being born severely "limited" mentally or physically? Why do you believe that they don't deserve to have some reasonable support or assistance?

What on earth does SSI supplemental income have to do with retirement planning?

Old 06-09-2009, 08:35 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,360 times
I am truly sorry for your problems and while we are retired living in Florida on $8.5k a month is just OK. I understand that California has a higher cost of living so then some of you good guys must be able to move to the East coast. Weather is great..... C.O.L. is lower than California..... Florida shows a lot of respect for Veterans too....

.....[/quote]
Wow! If i read your post correctly you are retired on $8,500/month? Or are you saying $850/month?

I can easily live on $8.5K/month!!! Even in California!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post

Wow! If i read your post correctly you are retired on $8,500/month? Or are you saying $850/month?

I can easily live on $8.5K/month!!! Even in California![/quote]

They have lowered the monthly SSI payment to $850 per month starting next month, and are proposing to lower it to $830 beginning late summer.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What does this have to do with being born severely "limited" mentally or physically? Why do you believe that they don't deserve to have some reasonable support or assistance?

What on earth does SSI supplemental income have to do with retirement planning?
Social Security was originally designed for those that did not save the money that they needed to retire. The time frame for recieving benefits was set as a lifespan situation, meaning that when the program started the majority of people would not live the length of time to see the benefits. Over time this program was expanded to include those individuals that could not do for themselves. We have children on the program that have never worked before. For them a parent died and they now get benefits. You and I pay for those benefits. If you have a child that was born with a handicap they get benefits. The program was never intended for that. What will happen eventually is that the system will go bankrupt and no one will have any benefits. It is not possible to support this system. In the old days you had many workers supporting a few people. Now you have many people getting bennefits and few people supporting the program. Works good when you have 20 to 1 odds. When you have 4 to 1 odds it is not so good. (That is 20 workers to one entitled person.)

Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Social Security was originally designed for those that did not save the money that they needed to retire. The time frame for recieving benefits was set as a lifespan situation, meaning that when the program started the majority of people would not live the length of time to see the benefits. Over time this program was expanded to include those individuals that could not do for themselves. We have children on the program that have never worked before. For them a parent died and they now get benefits. You and I pay for those benefits. If you have a child that was born with a handicap they get benefits. The program was never intended for that. What will happen eventually is that the system will go bankrupt and no one will have any benefits. It is not possible to support this system. In the old days you had many workers supporting a few people. Now you have many people getting bennefits and few people supporting the program. Works good when you have 20 to 1 odds. When you have 4 to 1 odds it is not so good. (That is 20 workers to one entitled person.)
I only disagree with you on one thing: I do think we will always have some form of Social Security, the politicians won't touch that sacred cow. What form, I do not know, and how much it will cost the average wage owner is another thing, but it will be there..

Nita

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
When times are good we bend over backwards to provide services and $$ to the neediest among us. That results in more needy people unfortunately. But when times are bad, like now, the $$ just aren't there. It's not a matter of "not caring" but we just CAN NOT continue to support people at the levels we have been. Trying to do so will only result in EVERYONE going down and you will be left with nothing but people who need support while everyone else bails.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When times are good we bend over backwards to provide services and $$ to the neediest among us. That results in more needy people unfortunately. But when times are bad, like now, the $$ just aren't there. It's not a matter of "not caring" but we just CAN NOT continue to support people at the levels we have been. Trying to do so will only result in EVERYONE going down and you will be left with nothing but people who need support while everyone else bails.
The biggest problem is the difference between "benefits" and "entitlements." The former are provided when the budget permits. The latter must be provided regardless. Over the course of several decades, self-serving politicians have pandered to spoecial interest groups by turning benefits into entitlements and the end result has been economic decay; especially as those same politicians lack the strength of will to reverse any of the giveaways. They're only interested in winning their next election or the next higher office. The "good of the people" is no longer a prime consideration; nor is the good of the country.

Having said all that, I wish to thank all of you who will continue to prop up Social Security. I am now a recipient and my wife will join that status next year. I dare say, however, I will not likely live long enough to draw out as much as I have put into the system over the course of 45 working years. Feel free to equitably disburse my overage!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have no problem agreeing with you here, but California was only paying $233 per month as their share of the social security supplement, the federal part is unchanged.

This reduction brings the monthly amount down from $233 to $156 per month, a reduction of 33%. Still pretty disgusting to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California