Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 AM

245 posts, read 607,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah, you must be right. After 25 years working for the state in health and human services, I know nothing. Clearly you're an expert!

Here's a hint for you, Newbie. I was speaking to SSP since SSI is a federal program, as are food stamps in case you didn't know. All the state does is establish eligibility under contract to the feds.

Oops! I forgot. I'm ignorant. By the same token, you're unpleasant!
I'm aware you were speaking of the SSP portion. In California, the SSP is not optional as long as this amount includes the food stamp allowance (and, for some, the restaurant meals allowance). The only way out is if California decided to administer food stamps itself for SSI recipients and incur all the costs for doing so. California chose to let the feds administer this in 1974 since at that time the average SSI recipient only got $10 in food stamps, so California decided to increase its SSP by $10 and therefore not have to bear the administrative costs of running the food stamp program for the SSI recipients. The problem now is many of these SSI recipients would be getting more in food stamps now than they are in SSP cash. (Note: Food stamps were recently renamed "SNAP" at the federal level, but in California they are now called "CalFresh".) Fore more info on this, see this study:

http://www.cfpa.net/mathssi2010.pdf (broken link)

I got a little snippy since I am tired of all the attitudes here, including yours.
Yes SSI is an entitlement or welfare, but disabled people like me and the elderly are entitled to this money. We can't work and we need income to survive. Any cuts hurt severely, since our rents and other expenses are going up. And Section 8 is hard to get. Oakland just opened its waiting list after 6 years. They are getting over 100,000 applicants for 10,000 vouchers. And this is just for the waiting list. Those awarded a spot by lottery on the waiting list may have to wait another 5 years to actually get the voucher. Then they have to actually find a landlord who accepts Sectionn 8 and hope it's not in a bad area. So for California to lower its SSP by $62 in less than a year, as NewtoCA pointed out, is outrageous. I expected more sympathy here.

Fortunately, in a small way, I am one of the lucky ones. I get SSDI of $762 monthly and am not required to apply for California's SSP. I instead can choose CalFresh and get more money in food stamps that way ($200 a month in food stamps for a single person living in her own household with high shelter and medical expenses vs. only $171 cash for California's SSP). I also do not have to pay state sales tax with food stamps, but would have to do so with cash from the SSP. And, being disabled, I am allowed a higher asset limit of $3,000 with food stamps than I would be with California's SSP ($2,000).

I have a question:

If I did decide to get California's SSP instead of CalFresh food stamps, would my total payment be capped at $845 as a single person living in her own household like it is for SSI, or would it be $762 (my current SSDI) plus the SSP of $171 = $933 total payment??? IOW, are recipients of Social Security Disability subject to the state SSI/SSP cap of $845 for single people living in their own households in California if they choose to get the SSP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 06:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Mileena, I don't know what attitude you're referring to but I'm one of the good guys here. I worked on behalf of seniors, as did my wife, and the mentally ill, doing my (our) best to see to it that they were adequately provided for and their safety nets and benefits protected. We also labored hard to protect them from both fiduciary and physical abuse.

Our "specialty" was legislation so we had broad program knowledge but not the nitty-gritty expertise to answer specific questions like the one you just asked. For those matters we had to rely on the people who actually administered the programs. While I would doubt that SSDI recipients are subject to the SSI cap, that's a question better put to someone in social services.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 AM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post

I got a little snippy since I am tired of all the attitudes here, including yours.
And as others have said, the program would be in better financial shape if the abusers and those here illegally were thrown off the rolls. They may not be the majority, but they are more than just a few.

It's a question of where to focus your efforts and energy. Demonizing the governor because the state is in the red and has to cut spending will not make things better.

The state is broke. We don't have the money. It s*cks. But we must accept and deal with that reality. And there are too many who think "someone else" should pay more tax and/or take a benefit cut, but think the benefits/programs they receive/use should remain untouched. That kind of thinking, multiplied over 30 years or longer, is why our state is broke & our country is in debt over its eyeballs.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 8,005 times
this is the third cut in payments to the elderly and disabled in CA since 2009. Not to mention the fact that Medi-Cal no longer pays for dental or vision care for adults. Food stamp benefits are not available to SSI receipients per CA law. Social Security benefits have been frozen for 3 consecutive years with the last cost of living increase in 2008. In home support services have also been cut, and thousands of disabled persons will need full time nursing home care as the result. Why have the poorest of the poor been hit so hard? this group of people do not represent enough votes, plain and simple. How will they survive? Unfortunately most californians don't care.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,206,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigalnomore View Post
this is the third cut in payments to the elderly and disabled in CA since 2009. Not to mention the fact that Medi-Cal no longer pays for dental or vision care for adults. Food stamp benefits are not available to SSI receipients per CA law. Social Security benefits have been frozen for 3 consecutive years with the last cost of living increase in 2008. In home support services have also been cut, and thousands of disabled persons will need full time nursing home care as the result. Why have the poorest of the poor been hit so hard? this group of people do not represent enough votes, plain and simple. How will they survive? Unfortunately most californians don't care.
I have found it very interesting that the California political liberals generally get very active when discussing gay marriage, the environment, or legalization of marijuana, but have little to no interest at all in this critical issue.

But, some folks have taken an interest:

Aging safely at home? California's disabled elderly are barely holding on / UCLA Newsroom

http://www.healthpolicy.ucla.edu/pubs/files/holdingonpn1-31-11.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-03-2011, 11:43 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,572 times
Whatever happened to family? If you are not willing to take care of your own family, why should society? In most Asian country (Namely Signapore), you have a tighter family as a result. A more stable society.... There is something to be gained from caring for your own family as opposed to just tossing them out and mandating that society do it for you. People don't care about their own d*m family and they b*tch about other people not caring.. What a h00t ! How will they survive? The same way they do in poorer countries in which family actually means something and people take care of their parents/older family members in old age. The great tragedy of modern day America I tell you.. No accountability .. Everyone wants to point a finger at everywhere else except at themselves. Go call up some family members and ask them to give some aid to an in-need family member... If your family doesn't even take care of their own then don't wonder why others don't... It's because they probably think just like you and your family.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 02-03-2011 at 11:52 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chigalnomore View Post
I care & anyone who doesnt should be shot. The poor are getting hit every which way incl annual rent increases & dirty greedy utility companies raising rates.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,431 times
Default Medical

Medi-Cal has reinstated the eye exams but will not contribute to buying the glasses only paying for the exam.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,225 times
I'm an older dude, sick of the Mass. winters and looking to relocate to a warm beachside,weed friendly, artsy town in Cali. I'm also on a limited income (Soc Sec) so someplace not to expensive to live. Any suggestions, tips or observations? Thanks

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
A couple of observations. First of all, "Cali" is a city in Colombia. Secondly, "warm, beachside, weed friendly and artsy" do not go along with "not too expensive" at all. In fact, the only qualifier or descriptor that does is "weed friendly." My suggestions are to either look elsewhere such as along the northern, colder, rainy and foggy coast, forget the beach side altogether or redefine it as "anywhere within two to four hour's drive!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California