Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
many of the people who think this is stupid wont feel that way in one to two years from now.
Many of us who think this is stupid realize that two years from now the economy may be worse no matter what the government does or does not do. At least they're doing something about it instead of ignoring it. What type of protests would be taking place if the government stood by and did nothing?

The point still remains - look who is promoting these protests. The agendas are pretty clear. I can appreciate the people who are sincere about wanting to make a positive impact for the future, but most of the people are using this as a way of bashing the party they don't favor, including a number of people with future political aspirations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 AM

28 posts, read 130,845 times
Ludachris, I think you're spot-on in your analysis. It was actually sad watching the sign-carrying protesters, and listening to them being interviewed when so many of them couldn't even articulate what it was they were even protesting. A FOX News, whipped up frenzy (Neil Cavuto crowd estimation anyone?), hoping that if enough $#!^ is thrown against the wall maybe some of it will stick. Most of us have lost a lot of money and no one can be happy about that. Jobs are being lost at a head-spinning pace. Yet basically the only counter ideas I've heard put out by the Right so far has been to cut spending and lower taxes. Same old, same old, and I have not heard one respected Economist give the opinion that that alone would be anywhere near enough to enable us to climb out of the hole we find ourselves in. As long as the Republican party is driven by the likes of Rush and Hannity I feel it will be a Party in free-fall, and that cannot be good for us as a nation.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Many of us who think this is stupid realize that two years from now the economy may be worse no matter what the government does or does not do. At least they're doing something about it instead of ignoring it. What type of protests would be taking place if the government stood by and did nothing?

The point still remains - look who is promoting these protests. The agendas are pretty clear. I can appreciate the people who are sincere about wanting to make a positive impact for the future, but most of the people are using this as a way of bashing the party they don't favor, including a number of people with future political aspirations.
Well-reasoned argument, Ludachris I think the actions taken by Bush & continued by Obama are at the urgent advice of historians. Hoover did nothing & Great Depression-2 is unacceptable to Americans. Republicans react rather than reason & why they are essentially wrong about everything [ie global warming]. Who's willing to follow those who turn & run when faced with challenges?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I'll skip over your name-calling. I'm a pretty down-the-line guy and I go one way on one issue and one way on another, so I don't necessarily appreciate being called a left-wing ideologue solely because I am not with you on something.

Alot of our points was this: nothing that is going on now came out of nowhere. These problems have shown themselves before in profound ways before Obama was elected. If you felt the federal government was mismanaging the country, where were these protests during the Bush administration's horrific handling of alot of these issues? As much as you don't want to admit it, it's complete and utter posturing for 2012 and apparently, you're the only one who's drinking the kool-aid.

P.S. Can we atleast admit that protesting government waste by buying and destroying perfectly good tea - i.e. being wasteful - is ironic and hilarious? They do know the Bostonians didn't throw all of their own tea into the river, right?
You're right; this did not come out of nowhere. For years the CA legislature has been spending too much money, even more than they were getting from taxpayers whom Schwarzenegger told would not be taxed as heavily as Davis was planning ("You get taxed when you get up to go the bathroom in the morning, here in Kaleefornya"). People have had it with the whole deal (They're getting a "Raw Deal" )-- more people than ever know things, such as that half of our budget is for education, and we all know who's taken over the public school system. Political movements need time to gather a following, as information does not filter through on immediate disclosure. People like me for years have been trying to get people to talk about the shortcomings of government -- now some are finally listening, though the government *cough* Pelosi and such *cough* are not...yet...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I love how Fox news called these tea partys "spontaneous" yet had reporters/anchors PREPOSITIONED at the various party sites. Also, buying and wasting millions of tea bags to protest wasteful spending seems a bit inappropriate to me. But what the hell do I know? I hate tea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California