Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 04:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Why should there be a China town, japan town, korea town, latin, german, vietnamese, etc,ect. Pretty soon you have a larger population speaking foriegn than english. If you come to this country why shouldn't you blend in with the existing customs and language. Why do you come here if you want to make it like where you came from?
Good old fashioned racism at it's finest!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
Why should there be a China town, japan town, korea town, latin, german, vietnamese, etc,ect. Pretty soon you have a larger population speaking foriegn than english. If you come to this country why shouldn't you blend in with the existing customs and language. Why do you come here if you want to make it like where you came from?
Just about every major city in every country has this, even in Tokyo there is a China town. Maybe if racists and hardcore nationalists didn't isolate them when they first arrived they wouldn't have to make their own communities. You need to brush up on your history before you get upset at disenfranchised groups of people who wanted to blend in but were shunned.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Good old fashioned racism at it's finest!
NO! Good old fashioned pride in America at its finest. If you want to live in a "China town, japan town, korea town, latin, german, vietnamese, etc." then move. If you want to live in America then be an American regardless of your roots!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:05 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
NO! Good old fashioned pride in America at its finest. If you want to live in a "China town, japan town, korea town, latin, german, vietnamese, etc." then move. If you want to live in America then be an American regardless of your roots!
I'm sure they had plenty of chances to blend in and have pride while being called every racial slur around, same with Italians and everybody else who have their own communities. This is what makes this country great the diversity, have you even been to any other cities in the world? They all have their Little (Insert Group). This is not uniquely American.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:21 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I'm sure they had plenty of chances to blend in and have pride while being called every racial slur around, same with Italians and everybody else who have their own communities. This is what makes this country great the diversity, have you even been to any other cities in the world? They all have their Little (Insert Group). This is not uniquely American.

Funny, but I love California precisely because of its diversity. And I'm as white as they come. I love learning different languages (I speak three). I love to travel and experience different cultures. I love to sample different cuisines. If people want to create their own ethnic enclaves within California, so much the better...then I'll know where to go for great ethnic food.

The people who hate living in today's CA are those who can't adapt to change. They have fond memories of the time when whites had all the political power because they were the majority in the state. Now they see their numerical superiority melting away....hence the CA bashing. It's really about the feelings of loss of power, the stripping away of the sense of entitlement that white people have gotten used to.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,593,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"Good old fashioned America" had Chinatowns, Japantowns, barrios, etc.

Ethnic neighborhoods are as old as America itself, many of which have disappeared through the years.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM

2,960 posts, read 3,529,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"Good old fashioned America" had Chinatowns, Japantowns, barrios, etc.

Ethnic neighborhoods are as old as America itself, many of which have disappeared through the years.
Majoun, while I don't agree with some of your politics, you seem to make sense in your writing compared to others who take a more hard line approach against people they disagree with.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
...have you even been to any other cities in the world?
Now that's almost funny. Let me see, lived in mainland China for almost two years. Japan for two and a half years. Korea for almost two years.

I've not only been to numerous Asian cities but lived in many for significant periods of time. Add having "been to" Hawaii before it became a state, Canada, Mexico (several cities) and Thailand and I think I have some perspective -- not to mention having lived in multiple cities in seven other states.

And you?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
It's true, compared with other countries the US bends over backwards to accommodate immigrants. Yes, I will admit there was prejudice many years ago that was severe enough to lead to Little Italys and Chinatowns but today there is nothing close to that level. If anything, as a nation we've gone extreme in the opposite direction and no longer expect immigrants to assimilate. I'm from relatively recent immigrant stock on one side (grandparents on that side both born aboard) and I have to say, were they still alive they'd be amazed at the current mentality. My grandfather barely had an accent by the time I was born. He had library shelves filled with books in English.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's true, compared with other countries the US bends over backwards to accommodate immigrants. Yes, I will admit there was prejudice many years ago that was severe enough to lead to Little Italys and Chinatowns but today there is nothing close to that level. If anything, as a nation we've gone extreme in the opposite direction and no longer expect immigrants to assimilate. I'm from relatively recent immigrant stock on one side (grandparents on that side both born aboard) and I have to say, were they still alive they'd be amazed at the current mentality. My grandfather barely had an accent by the time I was born. He had library shelves filled with books in English.
One can assimilate and keep their culture. It doesn't have to be one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California