Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, there are definately pockets. You just have to drive a lot further to get to them or live nearer to the inner city of Denver.

We lived in CS and it was definately "white bread" all the way. Yeah there was a Mexican joint here or there but nothing like CA. And it is a real hassle driving all over kingdom come just to find some decent food at times. Don't even try to find good Asian food. But hey, there are other perks to balance things out. I did get tired off seeing so many diner, roadhouse BBQ ribs type places however - boring. We really missed Trader Joes as well. Many CA transplants have been wanting TJs for years in CO. I think I heard TJ was finally considering it. It is all about the liquor laws being more restrictive.
Didn't they recently relax the liquor laws recently? Maybe some day TJ will be able to come in and sell booze. And yeah, the food in the suburbs is definitely repetitive. My wife and I have joked that every strip mall in Denver's suburbs contains some combination of Qdoba, Chipotle, Tokyo Joe's, and Noodles & Company with a Chili's or Village Inns thrown in for variety. I guess part of the adventure will be finding the good independent restaurants but I suspect we'll have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the good ones. We already drive to Placentia for good Mexican food so a bit of a drive won't be a problem if the food's worth it. We're just really spoiled here having so much, so close.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:33 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Didn't they recently relax the liquor laws recently? Maybe some day TJ will be able to come in and sell booze. And yeah, the food in the suburbs is definitely repetitive. My wife and I have joked that every strip mall in Denver's suburbs contains some combination of Qdoba, Chipotle, Tokyo Joe's, and Noodles & Company with a Chili's or Village Inns thrown in for variety. I guess part of the adventure will be finding the good independent restaurants but I suspect we'll have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the good ones. We already drive to Placentia for good Mexican food so a bit of a drive won't be a problem if the food's worth it. We're just really spoiled here having so much, so close.
Yep, it is almost like something out of the Stepford Wives - ok I am dating myself I know. But you have described these big box stores and chains to a tee. They are all the same - zero original thought. No more Village Inns or Chili's please. But if you are willing to drive and realize you will have some dog meals to find those diamonds in the rough then there are some options. And yes you/we ARE spoiled! Thats also one of the things that irks the natives BTW. Whats wrong with the roadhouse grill anyway? LOL... You Californians.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
^^

Roadhouse, is that the place where people eat whole peanuts out of a barrel, then spit the slobbery shells all over the floor that they walk on?

Old 04-19-2009, 11:43 PM

373 posts, read 1,170,661 times
If you read threads of other cities and states, you will see the same pattern of complaining and whining as you see here.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
LOL... Well I use the term 'roadhouse' loosely to refer to many typical BBQ type joints which are really popular in CO. But the placed you described is right along those same lines. I visited a few like that with different names. It is somehow related to being a true American or cowboy. One even had a mechnical bull you could ride, preferrably before you ate your BBQ or had one too many.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 AM

2,960 posts, read 3,529,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm not being hard on him. Have you been here long enough to read his posts? My posts? Trust me, I'm not being hard on him.
I hope you didn't take offense, I was just pointing out that some people are finding it unfeasible to live their lives in California mostly due to the costs.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I'm not being hard on him. Have you been here long enough to read his posts? My posts? Trust me, I'm not being hard on him.
Hey! You being a b**ch again????????????????

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Hey! You being a b**ch again????????????????
Hey there Cap! You know I work hard for that coveted title!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Twinkle's and Escape's first date:

Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
I'm a little more "hands on" than that, Charles. I think this would be more like it .....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1zLNV2F_hR...20fighting.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California