Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Gavin Newsom?
Yes 10 16.95%
No 49 83.05%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM

2,965 posts, read 3,530,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Another vote for McClintock.
Gavin Newsom and Tony Villar in a steel-cage match. Gavin armed with a stick of TNT, Tony with a hand grenade.
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've already explained why I'm still here but apparently reading comprehension isn't your thing. And if I left tomorrow, you'd say I had no credibility because I didn't live here. Good job. Just keep trying to discredit anyone who doesn't fawn over California. It doesn't change the facts of the state no matter how much you wish to ignore them.
Yet you whine like a little girl every day how much you hate California yet haven't even seen the state [ie. never been to Palm Springs ]. Sorry but credibility isn't you.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Absolutely No on Gavin Newsom. The GOP probables don't sound too exciting either. I'm hoping (since it looks like I'm going to need to shelve my plans to move from the Bay Area to Missouri for awhile) that Tom McClintock will serve an additional two or three terms in the U.S. House (assuming the Fourth District re-elects him), and then make another run for Governor.
McClintock has been a consistent loser in statewide races.

About the only position he's qualified for is ambassador to Kazakhstan

BTW, if you want fiscal discipline, what's your problem with Tom Campbell?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
McClintock has been a consistent loser in statewide races.

About the only position he's qualified for is ambassador to Kazakhstan

BTW, if you want fiscal discipline, what's your problem with Tom Campbell?
Majoun

We know that Republicans have an incredible challenge to even consider running for governor in California. Now after Bush, the GOP has lost so much support than just the word "republican" is generally a turn-off to most Americans. The GOP is crippled & anemic. There will not be another Republican governor unless it is someone Democrats are willing to vote for. As you point out guys like McClintock only attract a small number of supporters because he is a Republican like those in the South & have no connection to the average Californian.

In the end, I think Jerry Brown will be our next governor unless he decides not to run or something else happens. It appears Newsom may have some problems & Villaraigosa is "too Los Angeles."

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yet you whine like a little girl every day how much you hate California yet haven't even seen the state [ie. never been to Palm Springs ]. Sorry but credibility isn't you.
Your arguments get weaker and weaker. I've never bothered to go to Palm Springs because there's little there that interests me. Not that that has anything to do with the next governor but like all people without a leg to stand on, you must attack the speaker instead of the message.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Your arguments get weaker and weaker. I've never bothered to go to Palm Springs because there's little there that interests me. Not that that has anything to do with the next governor but like all people without a leg to stand on, you must attack the speaker instead of the message.
Sorry but YOU have got that backward as usual. It is your "message" that I attack since it is a broken record of hate for California [coming from someone who doesn't even know California]. Its like focusing on the flea in your hair rather than your big fat head

Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 AM

230 posts, read 599,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
How would that be good news for the GOP?
Because (and I know you don't believe this) the partisan makeup of the electorate is not the determiner of who wins elections. The actual candidates on the ballot are. And if one of those candidates on the ballot in the general election is Gavin Newsom, then the Republicans' chances of holding the governorship just skyrocketed no matter whom they nominate. Newsom is considered to be extreme by a broad swath of Californians, left and right. As you can see on this and other threads, there are plenty of liberal Democrats who want nothing to do with him. Given that a majority of Californians rejected gay marriage in November, how good would you say are the statewide prospects of a mayor whose biggest claim to fame is having given everyone in sight the finger over the issue?

Yeah, I know, you think they're fantastic.

Quote:
Only if it were someone like Schwarzenegger. If any of the Republicans want to win they need to be in lock-step with Schwarzenegger [not be more conservative
Sure, because Schwarzenegger's such a popular and effective governor.

Please. happ, have you seen Arnold's approval ratings lately, especially since he signed the largest tax increase in CA history? Nobody likes the guy now, and for good reason. Not people in his own party, not Democrats, not independents. His approval stands somewhere in the 30s, and no one is seriously talking him up as a potential opponent to Boxer the way they were a year ago. I would think that if he really wanted the latest alphabet soup of ballot Props to pass he wouldn't allow himself to be seen endorsing them. (Sure enough, they appear to be about as popular as he is.)

He's disliked and distrusted because he's turned himself into a nothing. He's gone back on nearly everything he claimed to stand for in 2003; he's betrayed the trust of the people who were looking for an alternative to politics as usual. The anti-tax warrior of six years ago now tells us that we're fools for thinking we shouldn't have our taxes raised. Again. Yes, that's going over real well. No wonder the people who actually pay the taxes are scramming.

Quote:
What's the saying about doing the same thing over and over yet expect different outcomes? = insanity.
One could say the same thing about your posting patterns. I'm not sure why you expect anyone to listen to you, when anyone who deviates from your foam-at-the-mouth leftist orthodoxy isn't wanted in California and needs to just shut up and get the hell out of the Golden State right now -- and then, once they do leave, they immediately become drooling, inbred Southern hicks (this phenomenon presumably kicks in at the Nevada or Arizona state lines) who can't legitimately post on the California forum anyway. Meaning, once again, they have no business answering you. Man, happ, If I were you I'd have gotten really embarrassed about my behavior a long time ago. And yet you fearlessly continue your patterns of hate and rage.

That same saying causes me to wonder why you are constantly cheering for politicans who will continue and escalate the barrage of crippling taxation and onerous regulation that has driven so many of California's citizens and businesses out of the state. "Hey Californians, you don't like what we've done with the place? Well, here's more of it! If you don't like that then why don't you go try the South!" (Companies such as Nissan are doing exactly that, but that's another thread.)

Quote:
At least Republicans know what they can & certainly not accomplish in California & it has to be a moderate to left-leaning Republican [ie Mayor Riordan.
happ, I'd say that Richard Riordan was and is far too much of a right-wing extremist for your tastes. For that matter, so is Schwarzenegger.

Sorry, man, but ideology aside, you just don't understand electoral politics. But stick around, get a few more elections under your belt. You may get the hang of it someday.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
That same saying causes me to wonder why you are constantly cheering for politicans who will continue and escalate the barrage of crippling taxation and onerous regulation that has driven so many of California's citizens and businesses out of the state.
I think the answer is because the vast preponderance of them are far-left Democrats of the ilk found only in the Los Angeles and Bay Areas along with Arcata and Davis. When you're a party ideologue you tend to lose the ability, if you ever possessed it, to make individual and personal choices. Whoever and whatever is on the party slate determines all your votes. It saves you from having to think, analyze, ponder, make judgements based upon merit, consider pros and cons or do anything other than reflect it on your ballot. Almost as painless as copy and paste. Voting made easy, or is that Voting for Dummies?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 AM

188 posts, read 920,231 times
I'm curious when people say they won't support Newsom for what San Francisco has "become". From my perspective the problem with SF is that it hasn't improved much in the last decade (expensive housing/homeless/muni/crime etc), not that it has degenerated in any way.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM

31 posts, read 156,830 times
I agree with everyone on here who supports Tom McClintock. He's actually done much better in his races than many other Republican candidates despite being massively overspent. The margins he lost by have been small and at the end of the Recall, he had the highest favorability ratings of any California politician (including the Governor).

Tom actually didn't lose the Recall because people didn't agree with him. Large numbers of Arnold's voters were well aware that Tom was more qualified and had better ideas, but jumped on the "Governator" bandwagon anyway. We're now paying for this.

And I would not vote for Gavin "Whether you like it or not!!!" Newsom ... haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California