Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,317 times

Advertisements

I am strongly considering a career in real estate and would like some feedback from experts in the field. I have two children, ages 9 and 15, who are in school from 8:30-3:00 daily. I'm not sure if this is possible, but this is what I am thinking!! I would like to do all of my marketing, looking at homes, title companies, inspections, etc. during the day while my kids are in school. I would like to be able to pick them up from school at 3:00 and take them home. My children are old enough to stay home by themselves for a bit if I needed to show houses in the evening, however, I would not want to do that every evening. I am thinking to spend time at home doing my emails and paperwork from home. Also, I am okay with showing houses on the weekends, but I would prefer to not show homes both Saturday and Sunday every single weekend. Please let me know if you think this is possible or if I should consider another line of business! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:06 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
What is the demand for realtors by consumers?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM

37 posts, read 219,245 times
To be successfule real estate is truly a full time job that does require alot of long hours and really being able to accomodate your clients. People also work full time and they are going to want to look in the evenings or on weekends unless thier job has different hours or they work different days where they may have weekdays off. I really love real estate and the first year was rough in building my database of clients but it has gotten better, however I do work anywhere from 45-70 hours a week depending on what I have going on. Also real estate is a very costly career to get into. There are associations and MLS's to join that have fees associated with them as well as everyday expenses dealing with marketing and anything else to run your business. These are just some of the things to consider.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Realtors are abandoning a listing ship - Los Angeles Times

Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
For Charles;
"Still, Web-based brokerages account for only a small fraction of home sales. Nearly 14 million homes were sold in the first three months of this year; Redfin sold just 1,300 homes all of last year."

For the OP;
Real estate happens at the client's convenience, not the agent's. I'm typically in the office nearly every single day. Depending on the real estate market where you live, you might be able to do what you're thinking, but like most everything else in life, you will get out of it, what you put into it.

Give it a whirl and good luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California