Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 02:27 PM

85 posts, read 287,529 times

Advertisements

Originally my family and I were looking in FLA but after extensive trips and research we have decided that California might suit our needs better. (I have always loved CA so I am very excited about this) I am hoping that residents (born and raised or transplants) and also Agents might share their suggestions...

Here it is:
Due to medical reasons my family needs a warm climate. My family consists of my husband, myself and my retired parents. All input and areas are welcome. Home prices up to $1.5 million are fine. We are looking for the following:

1. Warm Climate with no snow (the warmer year round the better)
2. Waterfront if possible (Ocean, Lake, River) that would be ideal on a decent sized property. But not a deal breaker.
3. If waterfront is not possible then a lot of land 4+ acres where we will not be on top of our neighbors. Lived too long like that and we need some peace and quiet.
4. Good school district. We are starting a family.
5. Area where my husband can commute to work- (insurance underwriter)
6. I am a Yoga Teacher with a very successful business and will want to relocate it to an already existing studio or buy and start up again.
7. Possibility of two homes on the property, either already built or renovate an already existing structure. Again not a deal breaker.

If any areas jump out as being able to suit some or all of these needs I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again

Also it is not set in stone that we have to be on the water, even a lot of beautiful land would be fine.
Thank you in advance for any info you share.

Last edited by yogini; 04-04-2007 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
You might enjoy the central coast. In northern San Luis Obispo county is Lake Nacimiento and there are properties along that area. Very warm in the summer and no snow. The Pacific coastal areas will be foggier and more temperate, ranging from the 50s-70s throughout the year. Paso Robles is the city in the north county where both you and your husband could find work. There are plenty of properties with acreage here as well where you could build more than one home in the inland areas. The beach is only 30 minutes away. This whole county is a great place to raise a family and/or retire if you can afford the housing, which it sounds like you can.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,070 times
As regards to my area, humboldt county, it fits into your criteria on most points, your husband could keep his job, and you as a yoga teacher would be very very successful. ocean front is not an issue, most of our northern towns are right on the ocean. we are a very remote county right below the OR border, and we have certain celebritys keep secret summer houses here. the only hurtle might be finding that amount of acres, i wouldnt know anything about it.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 AM

77 posts, read 632,600 times
Beach towns in Humboldt county though extremely beautiful but they're anything but warm(almost like costal OR weather ).If you want the combination of warm+beach ,you'd better stick to southern California .

Your price range will buy you a beautiful newer home (3000-4000sq ft)in Rancho Santa Fe ,or Carmel Valley in coastal north San Diego County,both are among the most upscales cities in sCalif,climate will be very warm all around the year,good schools,very safe,good lots size in Rancho(around 10 000 sq ft ,no acrage though).

There are many senior gated communities in close by Fallbrook(35mile from Rancho) ,with 1.5mil you can afford a beautiful house in Rancho ,and another smaller house for ur parents in Fallbrook .

I probably would've recommended Fallbrook for you as you can get the house you want there (with acreage)... but I don't know much about their school district ,and most likely you will need to commute for ur job if you gonna live there.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 AM

I agree that being on the OR border although beautiful will be too cold for most of the year for us. Right now we live with the 4 seasons but for medical reasons we are moving to have closer to one warmer climate year round (or as close to that as possible). SLO seemed very nice. Is it very foggy there?

I will look into Carmel Valley and FAllbrook. Not interested in gated communities but I will check out the housing situations there.

You have been so helpful. Thanks again for all the info

Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 AM

199 posts, read 1,132,810 times
In SLO county, the coastal areas are usually foggy/overcast in the morning and then clear up and are quite nice. SLO itself is usually overcast until late morning, but not always. The farther away from the coast, the less marine layer to overcast your morning, but it will be colder in the winter (but no snow!) and hotter in the summer.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini View Post

I will look into Carmel Valley and FAllbrook. Not interested in gated communities but I will check out the housing situations there.

You have been so helpful. Thanks again for all the info

Carmel Valley in SD county ,and Rancho Santa Fe (houses with good size lot there)are what fit in ur criteria IMHO.You cannot go wrong with these 2 towns.

Fallbrook ,on the other hand ,isn't the best place to raise a family (nothing to do ,school district is not that good last I heard(I might be wrong here though),u need to commute for ur job which could be really bad during the rush hour ),and it's inland SD so it's not quiet the beach area ur looking for.
I've only mentioned it bcoz u said u need 2 houses one for ur family and one for ur parents,fallbrook is very good area for retirees ,but not for a family with young kids .

Also check Poway in SD county,you can get a 3000 sq ft house on half to one acre there for ($900k+),more affordable than Rancho ,safe,and excellent school district, but relatively far from the ocean (around 20 miles).

Old 04-05-2007, 12:25 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Right now there is an undeveloped acre in Rancho Santa Fe for 1.1 Million. The HOA for the covenant is 10k a year. There is no such thing as an acre lot in Carmel Valley. No way in the world the poster is going to find 4 acres for anything below 2 million in either of these areas. Even Fallbrook or Bonsall it's going to be extremely difficult.

Like I said before: look Eastern Poway, Ramona, Jamul, Julian, possibly places like Valley Center.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Right now there is an undeveloped acre in Rancho Santa Fe for 1.1 Million. The HOA for the covenant is 10k a year. There is no such thing as an acre lot in Carmel Valley. No way in the world the poster is going to find 4 acres for anything below 2 million in either of these areas. Even Fallbrook or Bonsall it's going to be extremely difficult.

Like I said before: look Eastern Poway, Ramona, Jamul, Julian, possibly places like Valley Center.

Well, she said either a coastal area ,or a home with 4 acres inland .I agree with u there is nothing with 4 acres in Rancho that sell for 1.5mil,but she will be close to the beach,and can get a good size lot (around 10 000 sq ft)in Rancho.

Agree with u again Poway is a better choice if one wants a home with acreage,and it is still within driving distance from the ocean.

Personally ,I would go with either Rancho or CV over Poway ,nicer areas and summer is less warm there .

Old 04-05-2007, 03:11 PM

Jenali- when you say summers are less warm there (Rancho/CV vs Poway) what do you mean exactly? How much of a climate difference is there in these areas. We don't mind the heat. It's really the cold and limited sun that poses a problem. Thanks for all the great info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California