Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM

341 posts, read 688,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Sassberto is biased towards his or her opinions on the issue. Thus the perception that you're ranting or raving. The fact is that others agree with you and are expressing similar feelings about our state.

I see plenty of whining about higher taxes, and particularly the increased auto registration costs. What I don't understand is why these people continue to vote for the same people who are increasing the taxes. I wonder why that is.
you know lovehound I am so guilty of this. I have voted down anything that cost money, but I have continued to vote for my same congressman. Just recently I have decided that no matter how much I might agree with him I am not voting for an incumbant. See you can teach an old dog new tricks

Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
What I don't understand is why these people continue to vote for the same people who are increasing the taxes. I wonder why that is.
As I've said many times before, "You'll never get rich betting on the collective intelligence or memory of the American electorate."

As for selling a house and moving because of disagreement with state government, which Sassberto declared to be ridiculous, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that what led the first colonists to what is now America in the first place and then precipitated the Revolutionary War?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Sassberto is biased towards his or her opinions on the issue. Thus the perception that you're ranting or raving. The fact is that others agree with you and are expressing similar feelings about our state.
Wow. You know, I don't like what state government is doing either. And I am planning on moving away from CA too! But it's for much more mundane reasons.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
So are you saying you have deplored this for three score years? If not, then how long? And this Gov't oppression is now the main reason you are leaving?

If so, as previously mentioned, what happens when the next polictian or policy that comes along disapoints you? Will that be grounds to sell your house, pick up and move again in staunch protest? What happens when that 'other' political group moves in and starts messin' things up again. Do you see how this comes across, even if it is not how you intent to convey this thought process.

In CO for example more and more democrats are taking up positions of power. What makes where you are going immune to this? Just curious how that works. BTW I am not a democrat. But this just seems hard to imagine.
Oh bother! I didn't say I've deplored it for 60+ years. The reality is that I've had 60+ years in which to watch and absorb what has happened to my state and I find where it is now to be deplorable compared to what went before.

Considering that I'm in my 60s and have lived here continuously for the past 38 years, it's doubtful that I'll be around long enough for any other state to disappoint me as much.

What you wrote may be how what I wrote comes across to you but I think that says more about you than it does about me.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Wow. You know, I don't like what state government is doing either. And I am planning on moving away from CA too! But it's for much more mundane reasons.
But maybe just maybe the government thing makes it a little easier? I believe I posted before that I wouldn't leave just because of state government and taxes, but it was on the list. So what's your reason for wanting to leave? If I'm not getting personal.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As I've said many times before, "You'll never get rich betting on the collective intelligence or memory of the American electorate."

As for selling a house and moving because of disagreement with state government, which Sassberto declared to be ridiculous, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't that what led the first colonists to what is now America in the first place and then precipitated the Revolutionary War?
You made my day by pointing that out. Now where can we find a country that needs colonizing?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sassberto is calling it "moving because of disagreement with state government." I think that's a bit misleading and even dismissive. It is more accurate to say "moving because of increasing cost of living and the likelihood that cost of living will even accelerate even further as a result of state governmental policy."

And just to repeat myself, increasing cost of living is just one of the many reasons why I favor moving out of state.

Actually, I did think of the parallel with the colonization and ultimate attainment of independence in our history. Some of the same reasons caused settlers to move to the Mid-West and then to the West. I believe I even mentioned that earlier in this topic. I think that "the West" is more a state of mind than anything else, the idea that it's better to move on rather than putting up with what you consider deplorable conditions. The direction doesn't have to be west though. Maybe the new West is east, or north, or ... ?

Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
But maybe just maybe the government thing makes it a little easier? I believe I posted before that I wouldn't leave just because of state government and taxes, but it was on the list. So what's your reason for wanting to leave? If I'm not getting personal.
Read my lengthy response in this thread.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I believe I even mentioned that earlier in this topic. I think that "the West" is more a state of mind than anything else, the idea that it's better to move on rather than putting up with what you consider deplorable conditions.
Nicely put! With apologies in advance to Horace Greeley for these liberties with his most famous quote, "Go east young man. Go east!"

Old 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Read my lengthy response in this thread.
Maybe everybody who feels like leaving has a multiplicity of reasons. Have you read a single post by somebody who gave "disagreement with state government" as their sole reason for wanting to leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California