Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I don't have any figures but I would guess that California collects as much if not more property tax than a good percentage of the other states, because of the property values.
True.
This state didn't save all that prop tax money when they had the chance. The state spends all it gets instead of saving some.
My mother lives in Phoenix Arizona her prop tax is about $900. She lives in the Glendale area, it's a nicer part of Phoenix. Equivalent to West Los Angeles.
An average home in a lesser part of West Los Angeles can have a prop tax of $6,000 easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
This state didn't save all that prop tax money when they had the chance. The state spends all it gets instead of saving some.
Too true! Our state government never saw a single dollar they didn't want to spend as soon as possible, and never misses the chance to borrow ahead if they can. That's why California's credit rating is so low. I think CA is #50 of all the states on credit ratings. That's what you get when you go on spending sprees.

That's why many of us are voting to keep money away from the state. If they can't get it from us taxpayers and they can't borrow it, they can't spend it. It's simple economics, not that they understand that in Sacramento.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
haha ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if they proposed the following:

Electricity taxes for conservation
Water taxes for conservation
Waste disposal taxes for conservation
Here in Denver they begged everyone to conserve water a couple years ago, so everyone did a good job of conserving water. Then revenue went down for the water department, so they jacked the rates up!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Then revenue went down for the water department, so they jacked the rates up!
Doh!

I get the feeling that some citizens and some legislators want to raise our property taxes to make up for property values going down.

Maybe California should start charging an admission fee to move here, perhaps $10,000 a head... Wait!?! What?!? There would be fewer people so they'd have to charge us more each for taxes!!!

All you transplants, come on out and relocate to California! Buy my house.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:37 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
People who do not pay taxes vote; people who pay taxes are now in the minority. Who do you think a power hungry politician is going to cater to?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Do you have some statistics for that? It sounds interesting, and would explain a lot.

And let's not forget all the people who are registered but do not vote, and all the people who didn't even bother to register.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
How about we stop feeding all the public school children? Many students get a free breakfast and lunch everyday in public school ( one high school in OC spends over $1,000,000 a year for this entitlement). How about we stop giving welfare to non-citizens and felons who have just been released from prisons. How about we crack down on medicare and medical fraud? How about we stop hiring people for government jobs that are not necessary? How about we stop allowing the governor appointing his friends to water, nature, trash ....commission positions where they meet a couple of times a year and collect $50,000 to $100,000 in salary? And so forth....

Old 05-12-2009, 03:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,220,958 times
Default New Taxes

The fiscal situation in California has gotten so bad that any day now I expect to receive a notice stating that I now must pay an annual tax on my pet Dodo Bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California