Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an election tommorow on the issue, would you vote in favor to legalize/tax cannabis for
Yes 18 90.00%
No 2 10.00%
Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 11:02 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,328 times

Advertisements

I am sort of out of the loop since I attend school out here in the midwest. My GF (she's back in CA) tells me that it is at a point now that they are reporting it in the local news. What are your thoughts? Not about whether it is right or wrong, but whether it will pass or not?

Poll: If there was an election on the issue tomorrow, would you vote in favor to legalize/tax cannabis for recreational use?

Last edited by vdy1985; 05-09-2009 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:48 AM

305 posts, read 771,061 times
I think that right now we're so close that we can "taste" it.

Just the other day Schwarzenegger wanted to open a debate about the legalization of marijuana, although he said "he still does not support it". But the fact that he decided to open up a debate about it shows that:

1) Public support for the legalization of marijuana is growing and the "reefer madness" fear tactics are dwindling.

2) There ARE benefits to taxing it to relieve some of our debt, from the casual smoker down to the jobs it will create.

3) It CAN cut down on crime and will keep many non-violent drug offenders out of prison and will put will criminals in there.

I think that amongst the people of CA where there is a strong culture that revolves around marijuana it should be able to pass with no problems.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
I think that right now we're so close that we can "taste" it.

Just the other day Schwarzenegger wanted to open a debate about the legalization of marijuana, although he said "he still does not support it". But the fact that he decided to open up a debate about it shows that:

1) Public support for the legalization of marijuana is growing and the "reefer madness" fear tactics are dwindling.

2) There ARE benefits to taxing it to relieve some of our debt, from the casual smoker down to the jobs it will create.

3) It CAN cut down on crime and will keep many non-violent drug offenders out of prison and will put will criminals in there.

I think that amongst the people of CA where there is a strong culture that revolves around marijuana it should be able to pass with no problems.
Wow, thanks for the info. I'd actually like to hear more about what is being said in the news about it. It seems like this is the big news that the Governor said this.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Your topic title and poll question are wildly out of sync.

How realistic is it that the bill will pass? Absolutely zero flat line dead dead dead. Pigs will fly before that happens.

Would I vote for it? Sure! I no longer partake but I don't see any reason why the government should get in the way of people who do consume.

Even our Gov. Schwartznegger recently commented a soft line on the concept. He said that although he didn't favor legalization that it might be a reasonable revenue stream for the state. The figure $50/ounce tax was mentioned. I'm sure you could google up a few news articles with more details. This was within the last week.

I think it's possible that the chances of legalizing pot are more realistic at a future date but it's difficult to say when. Probably not anytime in the next decade. In a way pot is already legal. Simple possession is punished by the equivalent of a slap on the wrist as long as you're not DUI. Medical marijuana is already legal, and the Obama administration announced that they prefer that the Feds should not interfere in states that have legalized medical marijuana. I'm not sure if everybody realizes this but there are doctors who specialize in marijuana prescriptions. I understand that they will accept virtually any medical excuse and give you a prescription. I hear it will set you back about $150 for your doctor's visit and prescription. I know a few people who have done this.

The times are better than ever to legalize pot, but the conservative types are still not ready to sign on, and it won't pass with their active opposition.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:22 PM

807 posts, read 1,302,494 times
I would be in favor of it because it is not more damaging that smoking cigs, or drinking, and also has medicinal uses.. However, realistically do I really think legalization of pot will pass in California? Nope.. Too many lobbyists for the beer companies and Pharmaceutical industries..

Old 05-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Too many lobbyists for the beer companies and Pharmaceutical industries..
I attribute the opposition more to conservative voters and politicians who don't want to jeopardize conservative support.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Your topic title and poll question are wildly out of sync.
I know, just wanted to get as much discussion out of one thread rather than making two that were pretty similar.

Thanks for your input.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:03 PM

I'm sure this topic will go far. It has come up before and will doubtlessly come up again. You'll find out that a large majority of CD members favor legalization, and in fact the citizens of California on the average also favor legalization. There are still very conservative forces in America that will align against legal pot as soon as there is any serious effort at legalization, here or in any state. It's a lot like the legalization of gay marriage, that a lot of people oppose it just on general principles or because they're not ready to take that liberal a step. Both gay marriage and legal pot are bound to happen some day, although gay marriage probably sooner. Look for the same kind of national opposition, like when the Mormon church spent a lot of money advertising against gay marriage.

Another interesting part of the debate in legalization of pot is why should we do it? Should it be legalized because virtually anybody can already get it on the street, and many do? Might legalization of pot reduce the size and bankroll of narcotics traffickers? Could taxation of pot become a revenue stream for the state? Would legal and illegal pot compete or would people rather get it legally if it were available? Would people who don't use it now because it's illegal begin using it? Would legal pot be any harder to keep out of children's hands than alcohol? Or are the children able to get it now anyway? (They can, often at school.)

It's an interesting and controversial topic and it's bound to come up at CD and other Internet forums time and time again.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Because it will be keyed fiscal by Legislative Counsel and there will be a tax involved a bill would need a super majority to pass and go to the Governor for signature. Not gonna happen anytime soon. It will have to be yet another proposition. Unfortunately, that means it will probably be poorly written and do some damage.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It will have to be yet another proposition. Unfortunately, that means it will probably be poorly written and do some damage.
If it's a proposition it's a sure thing there will be some trick hook in it, something to increase the state's budget.

It would have to be an initiative (written by the voters) to have any chance of not having unacceptable side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California