Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 02:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times

Advertisements

Where do you get so much bad information? I was part of a Safety Committee board that met every month to review the past month's accidents and injuries.
Police accidents and injuries outnumbered the rest of the departments combined, by 10 to one. Until I sat on that board, I didn't realize how many accidents happen in a quiet little town. Hardly a day passed without at least one trip to the emergency room by on duty officers.
Things liked twisted ankles or knees , broken arms, etc., from chasing someone over a fence in the dark, cut's bruises and scrapes from scuffling with a drunk, the list goes on and on. One big problem was back injuries due to sitting in a car 12 hours a day with all of the gear they are required to wear.
There were times when we had to send 1/2 dozen officers to the ER after they all came into contact with an arrestee that had a communicable disease of some type. Aids is out there, and where better to find it than on a scum bag..!
Many can't take the pressure and end up on a couch, or requiring early retirement.
I can understand a civilian who isn't involved thinking police work is a breeze, but take a trip behind the scenes, it will be an eye opener..! You see cops kicking back or writting a ticket. That's the visable part of police work. Try hanging out in an alley on the wrong side of town after the bars close... That's why police rotate shifts every three months.. sort of a mini vacation. Gives them a chance to only have to deal with cityboy going 3 MPH over the speed limit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
One big problem was back injuries due to sitting in a car 12 hours a day with all of the gear they are required to wear.
Why don't they work 8 hour shifts then? Oh yeah, that's right, it's because the police officers and their union wanted 4 days off per week.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,025 times
Quote:
Where do you get so much bad information? I was part of a Safety Committee board that met every month to review the past month's accidents and injuries.
Police accidents and injuries outnumbered the rest of the departments combined, by 10 to one. Until I sat on that board, I didn't realize how many accidents happen in a quiet little town. Hardly a day passed without at least one trip to the emergency room by on duty officers.
Things liked twisted ankles or knees , broken arms, etc., from chasing someone over a fence in the dark, cut's bruises and scrapes from scuffling with a drunk, the list goes on and on. One big problem was back injuries due to sitting in a car 12 hours a day with all of the gear they are required to wear.
There were times when we had to send 1/2 dozen officers to the ER after they all came into contact with an arrestee that had a communicable disease of some type. Aids is out there, and where better to find it than on a scum bag..!
Many can't take the pressure and end up on a couch, or requiring early retirement.
I can understand a civilian who isn't involved thinking police work is a breeze, but take a trip behind the scenes, it will be an eye opener..! You see cops kicking back or writting a ticket. That's the visable part of police work. Try hanging out in an alley on the wrong side of town after the bars close... That's why police rotate shifts every three months.. sort of a mini vacation. Gives them a chance to only have to deal with cityboy going 3 MPH over the speed limit...
LOL Waaaa Waaaaa I highly doubt the majority of your typical low to no crime suburb cops have more injuries and accidents than anybody else. Back injury of office workers is the # 1 reason why people take off from work.

You really believe that cops in the suburbs chase suspects through alleyways daily? even weekly? Cops in Oakland get ridiculous overtime, i'm sure they'll work a 12 hour shift for an extra 20-40 grand.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My dad was a LAPD officer and I remember first had the stuff they had to put up with then and even worse today. They do not get paid nearly enough and it is not a safe job.
How much should they get paid? 150-200K. I mean how much? I recently saw a list of the top 10 most dangerous jobs. Cop didn't make it. They put their life on the line everyday? Well, I guess not as much as the guy up in Alaska getting our tuna for us.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
This is a list of the most dangerous jobs in the US Law Enforcement is number 12 on the list...

Occupation
Relative Risk* Leading Fatal Event

Average All Jobs 1.0 Homicide and Accidents

Fishers 21.3 Drowning

Timber Cutters 20.6 Struck by Object

Airplane Pilots 19.9 Airplane Crashes

Structural Metal Workers 13.1 Falls

Taxi Cab Drivers 9.5 Homicide

Construction Workers 8.1 Vehicular, Falls

Roofers 5.9 Falls

Electric Power Installers/Repairers 5.7 Electrocution

Truck Driver 5.3 Highway Crashes

Farm Occupations 5.1 Vehicular

Police, Detectives, Supervisors 3.4 Homicide, Highway Crashes

Old 05-16-2009, 03:04 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,168 times
Ok, I have no problem accepting that Police are ONLY #12 on the Most Dangerous Jobs List, none what so ever.

On that list, the other occupations, with the exception of Taxi Drivers, are usually injured or killed due to accidents. The difference is our Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) are usually injured or killed at the hands of a criminal... and then the usual accident.

Many here seem to think LEOs are over paid and underworked, but, how many would and/or have done their job? Better yet, how many of you would actually be a LEO for minimum wage? Be honest, wouldn't it take at least a BIG SALARY & BIG RETIREMENT to entice you to be a LEO?

I'm sure we will continue to have a bunch of replies in the negative, especially from those that have never been nor ever would ever be a cop, but, won't admit it.

Last edited by macsret; 05-16-2009 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
'Runner, I think there's an occupation missing from your top 12 list, the oldest occupation: "professional" ladies. That's got to be more dangerous than police work. (It would have been nice if you included a link to your data.)

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Extra: The 10 most dangerous jobs in America - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P63405.asp - broken link)

I looked up the most dangerous jobs. I am not surprised cops are not on the list.

I have long told young people who are not smart enough to go to college but want a good career to become cops. I can't think of a better job in term of job security, benefits, power, control and pay. Speaking of benefits and pay, cops have it made. With some overtime, cops make more than people with advanced degrees make. Most police departments let cops take city vehicles home for personal use with the taxpayers paying for the gas and insurance. If they need more money, there are plenty of ways, legal and illegal, to get more. One officer told me one way for them to get overtime is to pull people over at the end of their shift. Still need more money? They can sell information to the media, insurance companies and private investigation firms for cash. The brazen ones steal drugs and money from suspects.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
I don't believe your charts. Those figures aren't for starting pastrol cops, they may be correct for a cop who has been working for years and have attained some rank, and who worked a lot of OT, but certainly not the norm...
I would question them as well. Even cops, working for years, unless they have top administrative jobs most do not make anywhere near $100,000 per year or none of our friends do. This might be an average, we all know what average means. Take a police officer at the very top (capt, etc) and average in his salary and yes, the salaries will seem higher. Average is a word I rarely put much into.

Nita

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Extra: The 10 most dangerous jobs in America - MSN Money (http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P63405.asp - broken link)

I looked up the most dangerous jobs. I am not surprised cops are not on the list.

I have long told young people who are not smart enough to go to college but want a good career to become cops. I can't think of a better job in term of job security, benefits, power, control and pay. Speaking of benefits and pay, cops have it made. With some overtime, cops make more than people with advanced degrees make. Most police departments let cops take city vehicles home for personal use with the taxpayers paying for the gas and insurance. If they need more money, there are plenty of ways, legal and illegal, to get more. One officer told me one way for them to get overtime is to pull people over at the end of their shift. Still need more money? They can sell information to the media, insurance companies and private investigation firms for cash. The brazen ones steal drugs and money from suspects.
David, do you realize how many cops now days have an education past high school, especailly those who want to be more than a street cop. We have several friends that are cops (mostly retired) or friends with kids that are cops, they almost all have college degrees.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California