Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,002,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
With all do respect Mr. Engineer, unless you were/are a Combat Engineer... a WARRIOR in our Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force or Coast Guard, which I doubt; or have walked a beat as a local Police Officer/Deputy Sherriff, which I doubt; or you have run into a burning house as a Fireman, which I doubt, you have no right to judge their salaries, compensation or retirement. In other words, your full of BS.
Sure I have that right. I'm paying for those salaries. I have every right to have a say in how my tax money is spent.

Quote:
Mr. Engineer, saddle up and join us/them who are wearing or have worn the uniform of those mentioned above. Get shot or disabled and return and post about how you get too much of a salary, compensation or retirement. I doubt you would.
I'm retired, old enough they wouldn't let me do that stuff even if I wanted to. I have one of those lame private retirement plans called Social Security, rather than the expensive model the public employees get. I'm getting about 10% of my most recent annual income instead of that 40%-95% that public employees get (depending on length of service).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The LAPD work 4 days a week/8 hour shifts. Not too shabby !
I may be mistaken but I thought they had started a 3-day per week plan.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Why complain if you think Government employee's make too much. Go get a government job..! Problem solved..! That's what I did. Those opportunities are nope to everyone.
Great idea. Let's everybody go work for the government, and then we can all get those great salaries, work 20 years and retire at 100% of our pay.

Yeah, sure, that would work...

Old 05-14-2009, 05:49 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,821,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Great idea. Let's everybody go work for the government, and then we can all get those great salaries, work 20 years and retire at 100% of our pay.

Yeah, sure, that would work...
I see you would rather complain about it than do something about it. Complainers are like that. Don't take action, just whine about the world's problems, and how everyone is always picking on you..... Time to MAN up, if that's possible...!
Perhaps you couldn't qualify to get a good job, then it's easier attack the people who got a government job.
Maybe if you had some actual facts, you woulden't complain so much... Like retiring at 100%. where do you hear such garbage...?
You should spend less time crying on CD, and go get a job...!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM

299 posts, read 1,150,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm retired, old enough they wouldn't let me do that stuff even if I wanted to. I have one of those lame private retirement plans called Social Security, rather than the expensive model the public employees get. I'm getting about 10% of my most recent annual income instead of that 40%-95% that public employees get (depending on length of service).
Well, guess you should have secured a 'government job' local or federal instead of your cushy private job with don't forget your.... BIG PAY. Then you and others are such cry babies that you didn't get the same retirement as the 'government employee'. People that cry about such things are usually the ones that flaunted their BIG PAYING jobs, thought themselves better than the 'government employees' and made it so obvious while looking down their noses.

Once again, you and those like you had the chance to join a PD/SO or a Branch of our Military. Our military WARRIORS sure don't make BIG PAY, limited benefits which are being reduced at an alarming rate. Their retirement is a drop in the bucket to what they should be receiving. Free Medical was/is nothing but another BROKEN PROMISE.

Unbelievable number of jealous, fully grown..... cry babies.

jOE

Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I see you would rather complain about it than do something about it. Complainers are like that. Don't take action, just whine about the world's problems, and how everyone is always picking on you..... Time to MAN up, if that's possible...!
Perhaps you couldn't qualify to get a good job, then it's easier attack the people who got a government job.
Maybe if you had some actual facts, you woulden't complain so much... Like retiring at 100%. where do you hear such garbage...?
You should spend less time crying on CD, and go get a job...!
I'm ****ing retired. I don't need a well paying job. I need reasonable taxes.

And I had quite a well paying career in medical electronic engineering. Unfortunately they don't give we employees of private enterprise the silver spoon of huge retirement benefits, unlike the unionized government employees.

When did I say I couldn't get a good job? I have a BSEE from a prestigious university. When did I cry?

I'm annoyed because unionized public employees get such fantastic retirement plans, far greater than private enterprise. And 100% Did you ever hear of double dipping? Work 20 years for one public agency, retire, then work another 20 years for a different public agency. You can easily exceed 100%.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Well, guess you should have secured a 'government job' local or federal instead of your cushy private job with don't forget your.... BIG PAY. Then you and others are such cry babies that you didn't get the same retirement as the 'government employee'. People that cry about such things are usually the ones that flaunted their BIG PAYING jobs, thought themselves better than the 'government employees' and made it so obvious while looking down their noses.
I got paid about 5-10% more than police officers with equivalent time in job. Up until the last 1-2 years I didn't know how much they were stealing from the taxpayers, thanks to their unions.

Please note that my 5-10% over does not include retirement benefits. By the time I include retirement benefits I probably got paid about one-half to two-thirds of their wages including benefits.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,821,961 times
Stop crying about unions... The unions at most government places have no strength. Over 50% of the people I worked with didn't even join the union because they are a weak joke, with no power at all. About all one got out of paying their dues, was a turkey at Christmas, they sure didn't have any power at negotiation time. NONE, as in ZERO..! 0000..!
The Police had a union with just a little more power. The only difference with the police was, they always had the public on their sides. The public wants their police taken care of, for obvious reasons. They make good money and have good benefits because the public demands it, not because the union does... I have been privy to some of those negotiations. How many have you sat in on...?
You are completely off base when it comes to Police unions having the power to get them money. I don't know where you get your information, but it's wrong.
Now if you're talking prison guards, I will agree with you. Their unions have too much power and they are grossly overpaid, even though I'm sure you wouldn't want to do their jobs for twice what they make...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Stop crying about unions... The unions at most government places have no strength. Over 50% of the people I worked with didn't even join the union because they are a weak joke, with no power at all. About all one got out of paying their dues, was a turkey at Christmas, they sure didn't have any power at negotiation time. NONE, as in ZERO..! 0000..!
LoLz. You should move to Los Angeles. 'Nuff said.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,579,313 times
Quote:

Once again, you and those like you had the chance to join a PD/SO or a Branch of our Military. Our military WARRIORS sure don't make BIG PAY, limited benefits which are being reduced at an alarming rate. Their retirement is a drop in the bucket to what they should be receiving. Free Medical was/is nothing but another BROKEN PROMISE.

Unbelievable number of jealous, fully grown..... cry babies.

jOE
Big pay??????? That is what you call govt jobs!!! With all the pension and benefits being discussed!! Sorry but the money is in govt jobs esp in CA. Military is Federal not State, funny how you throw that in there.
Here is over 200 state jobs that pay >100k and this is only in ONE dept out of over 100!!
State Salaries Results - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

The politics in CA have said by de facto that they only want the rich people and poor people, no middle, thats why the tax base has eroded so far. BTW the govy workers are definitely not part of the poor people, just wait for the subsidized housing for govt workers. Kind of already there with the salaries that out of wack with the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California