Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
When we get down to just the necessities that's when the money problem might get better. Now it's who gets to decided what a necessity is
If you want just the necessities then I'm sure you'll vote NO on all the ballot measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM

268 posts, read 816,267 times
Selling things like property is a short term solution. The problem is there is a structural budget problem. To much spending for the income. I think they should cut wages 20% across the board. From the janitors to Governor....but that won't happen.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:21 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,775,504 times
I had been under the impression that the fairgrounds and the Coliseum were all municipally owned.

I don't think the state government has any business owning any of those items. Sell them off.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 PM

There is also the question of selling historic landmarks. I understand that the government is prohibited from doing that, by law.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,385,082 times
Maybe the state should sell the legislature too. Oh, wait. That's the problem.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:55 PM

Good one, Escape! Unfortunately I must spread more reputation before I can give you more.

Just think, we have the best government that money can buy!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,588,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There is also the question of selling historic landmarks. I understand that the government is prohibited from doing that, by law.
That's what I heard today on the radio. The coliseum is owned by the county of Los Angeles & is also an historic landmark.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
According to this article in today's LA Times, the governor is considering the sell of major properties in California including the LA Coliseum\ Del Mar Race Track\ Orange Co fairgrounds, etc. This will generate state revenue during this difficult fiscal period. My concern is that selling these expensive properties may mean losing these landmarks to private corporations that will close and tear them down for other purposes.

Anyone else have concerns about this?

Gov. proposes selling L.A. Coliseum, other properties to raise cash - Los Angeles Times
Isn't Republican candidate Meg Whitman the former CEO of e-Bay? Maybe he is just throwing some business her way as back door fundraising.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,362,525 times
Just heard on the news your gov is talking about selling San Quentin - prime real estate cuz of waterfront. Visited SQ a couple years ago - thumbs up to those running it. It was quite a moving experience.

What are the actors and uber-rich in California doing to help the state?
I'm sure they are paying big money in state tax already so perhaps they feel they already do their part?

Schwarzenegger wants to raise $600 million to $1 billion over the next two to five years.
So many of the liberal actors living in California like to "fight" for liberal causes -- are they banning together to help out their state?

From 2006: The number of American millionaires rose to a record level last year, and they're disproportionately located in four counties in California, according to an analysis released Tuesday. Report: Number of U.S. millionaires reaches record - Mar. 29, 2006

Old 05-15-2009, 12:21 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Just heard on the news your gov is talking about selling San Quentin - prime real estate cuz of waterfront. Visited SQ a couple years ago - thumbs up to those running it. It was quite a moving experience.

What are the actors and uber-rich in California doing to help the state?
I'm sure they are paying big money in state tax already so perhaps they feel they already do their part?

Schwarzenegger wants to raise $600 million to $1 billion over the next two to five years.
So many of the liberal actors living in California like to "fight" for liberal causes -- are they banning together to help out their state?

From 2006: The number of American millionaires rose to a record level last year, and they're disproportionately located in four counties in California, according to an analysis released Tuesday. Report: Number of U.S. millionaires reaches record - Mar. 29, 2006
I think Tom Hanks should step up to the plate in the name of "change" and empty his wallet. He could afford to give up at least 50% of his wealth and still live a fat life. How about Barbara Streisand? She is worth billions and oh, that moron Mel Gibson who is worth 900 million. Can you believe how much we pay these goofs to entertain us? 900 million...sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California