Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

I've been reading online about possible ways to boost my credit score.

One method is being added as an authorized user to a family member's credit account with a long history, low balance, and good payment history.

Has anyone done this?

Does it work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I read that the credit card companies are on to that manipulation of the system and have taken measures to prevent it.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaGuy View Post
... being added as an authorized user to a family member's credit account with a long history, low balance, and good payment history. ... Does it work?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I read that the credit card companies are on to that manipulation of the system and have taken measures to prevent it.
Yep. Or that's what I've heard.

Otherwise the credit companies would have to be idiots.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
quick way to raise your credit score is to lower your debt to available credit ratio. the mortgage brokers ive spoken to say that for each individual account, keep the balance below 50% of the available credit as it makes a significant impact

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Nope.

Yep. Or that's what I've heard.

Otherwise the credit companies would have to be idiots.

I thought they were about to change the rules but they are delaying it.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I thought they were about to change the rules but they are delaying it.
I think it's more about charging practices that credit card issuers use to milk the customers rather than any credit score. I'm talking about abuses like jacking up your interest rate because you missed one payment, or even worse jacking it up because you were late on some other credit card. It's also about the practice of making the credit agreement so complex that nobody can understand it until you're hit with unexpected fees and increased interest rates.

In other words it's more about what they charge you than how they set your limit. But I could be wrong. As far as I know this issue is still rather murky. Or to put it another way, "They're delaying it."

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Pay for everything in cash and stop using credit. Credit is the biggest scam out there. When you save enough to pay in cash you have more options and you don't have to worry about credit scores as much.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I agree with bayarea-girl on this one. Chances are though most of you are wondering about how to have a good score so you can buy a home. I would say get 2 cards, use them and pay off the balance each month. Never keep a balance on a card. It will show a history of using the card and that you have nearly all your available credit. don't use your card for gambling, trips to Vegas, or even at a thrift store. Credit card companies don't like those things at all. Amazingly you can buy a car with cash. The fact is that instead of making 60 payments for a car, you can save for 48 months and pay cash. We just seem to live in a society that wants instant gratification and doesn't want to work our way into items we may not need.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
If you save to pay cash it is always the better way to go. Even in buying a house or a car one can save up to buy these things. When you calculate the interest you will be paying on these things it makes no sense to take out the loans. If you can't buy a house cash out then rent. If you can't afford to buy a nice shiny new car buy used or take public transportation. Look at what is happening in our country with people who couldn't buy their homes, after spending all that money making payments on a place they didn't own the bank took it. Cars, clothes, homes, will all go down but the interest to pay for these things will go up. You will get a better deal by paying cash.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:35 AM

A mortgage to purchase a house is an exception. Other than that it's better to pay cash for everything, or put things on your credit card but only if you pay off the card's balance every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: