Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM

26 posts, read 73,186 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Southern California in a few years. We're taking a trip there this Fall for vacation though and thought we might drive through a few cities that we would consider living in.

So my questions are:
What areas would you recommend looking at? What places would you avoid all together? With the job fields listed below, what range could we expect to make out there?

I've been to California and fell in love with it. I've been to Santa Monica, Hollywood and San Diego areas. I enjoyed Santa Monica and Hollywood the most and would love to live nearby, but I know that these areas are much more costly so I'm willing to make the drive from further away. We still want to be able to have a life and not just make enough money to barely survive. I'd ideally like to find a place somewhere in between LA and San Diego with afforable living, low crime, and a good place to start a family.

Here are the basics:
I'm attending school for Environmental Management and looking to get a Bachelor's Degree in it before moving so I would love to find a job in that field. My boyfriend has a Bachelor's Degree in Finance and will possibly be getting his Master's by then.

We'll most likely have a cat and a dog, possibly 2 dogs by the time we move. Shortly after we move, we'd like to start a family so it would have to be a safe neighborhood.

We both love the beach and doing things outdoors like canoeing, walking, camping, etc. We would prefer something that ranges in temperature between 65 to 95 or so, but we're flexible in that area.

We're not sure if we want to rent or buy yet, but something with 2+ bedrooms would be needed. Duplexes, condos, or houses preferred. A house would be ideal, but I know the cost of living is much higher than where we live now so it wouldn't be required. Nothing too fancy. Affordable is key.

We're not partiers at all. We're homebodies for the most part that are itching to get out of Wisconsin winters and be able to enjoy just being able to be outside for more than half the year.

Hopefully this is enough information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Try the Seattle area in Washington. Olympia is the rainiest place in the lower 48--but it has much of what you write about. If that is too cold for you, look in some of the coastal towns between there and San Francisco.

I live in So Cal: Too crowded. Housing is seriously expensive. That is, unless you live in the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino area.) However, in the summer its hotter than ... the other place...

Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 AM

26 posts, read 73,186 times
While I'm not opposed to living somewhere other than So Cal, I do like the hotter weather. Right now we deal with snow approximately 5-6 months out of the year and 2-3 other months of just cold weather. We'd like to be in a place where we can go outside and do the things I mentioned in my original post 90+% of the time.

Is the Inland Empire a bad place to live, other than it being incredibly hot?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaciousley View Post
While I'm not opposed to living somewhere other than So Cal, I do like the hotter weather. Right now we deal with snow approximately 5-6 months out of the year and 2-3 other months of just cold weather. We'd like to be in a place where we can go outside and do the things I mentioned in my original post 90+% of the time.

Is the Inland Empire a bad place to live, other than it being incredibly hot?
The Inland Empire is great (at least I think so!) I live in Redlands--it is wonderful. The weather is really great nearly all the time. That is, except in August when the highs actually can exceed 110. But there is usually not much humidity. The Redlands schools are good. We are close to California State University, San Bernardino and the University of California Riverside. We also have a couple of community colleges close by. Of course, IN Redlands we have the University of Redlands.

In the summer, two nights a week, we have the Redlands Bowl, music, plays, dance--all for no charge. We also have Market night every Thrusday evening downtown....except when it rains. It only rains about 13" a year--so Market Night doesn't get cancelled too often.

We live an hour drive from skiing in the mountains, an hour and a little bit from the beaches, and about 45 minutes from Palm Springs. Lots of golf.

Housing prices are real good right now. I own a 4 bedroom, 2 story house, in a planned community with a pool. It has about 1900 sq ft. I think the value today is between $270K and $300K...but I'm not sure. I've lived here for 20 years and the house is paid off--so I'm not selling.

LOTS of trees in Redlands. I like it here. The people are mostly friendly, and the climate is perfect--except for those hot streaks in August. In the winter on a cold Feburary day, it might get as cold as 55 or so...

Some people complain that the air quality in the Inland Empire isn't so great. But what they don't know is that the Indians used to call this "The Valley of Smoke." The reason they did that is because in the summer the water vapor concentrates in the air near the mountains, and you can no longer see the mountains. The smog is actually at quite acceptable levels.

A drive to Los Angeles from Redlands takes about 1 hour 15 mins if you are not driving during rush hour.

Now for the bad news: unemployment. During most of 1997 to 2007 the unemployment rate was lower than the nation's average. Now it is running upwards of 13%. (ouch!). So, for you, finding a job would be a big first step.

Any questions, just ask.
Dan

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
The Inland Empire is really hot--hotter than the LA basin. Redlands is really nice. But San Bernardino and much of Riverside is crime and gang infested. But southern CA--along with the rest of the state has too many taxes, too many illegals, too high living costs, too much pollution and too much crime. Not for me!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
The Inland Empire is really hot--hotter than the LA basin. Redlands is really nice. But San Bernardino and much of Riverside is crime and gang infested. But southern CA--along with the rest of the state has too many taxes, too many illegals, too high living costs, too much pollution and too much crime. Not for me!
Thank you...(for it not being for you.) We have, what? 8 or 10 million people living in Southern California (it is actually the largest consumer market in the world.) So, if you hate the idea of living in Southern California--GREAT!!! We got enough people already. ...and unfortunately not enough of them want to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California