Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpche View Post
Yes, but I will spend most of the time in California while actually running the business through Nevada.

I love California, but it has been hijacked by high-tax liberals, and I'm tired of paying 10% of my income to fund their idiotic welfare schemes.
We have to pay to live in California. If you can not afford it or are too stingy than by all means move ASAP. Otherwise, like any illegal resident, you are just being a leach. But please spare us the usual Republican excuses to not contribute unless if benefits you directly. Really, Texas or Mississippi would be much better for your kind of person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
We haven't hit the point yet where the liberals in government track all of our movements, so how would they know that I spend most of my time in California?
Huh? I thought the Conservatives were shouting "Secure Our Borders?"

Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM

266 posts, read 1,002,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
You might be able to pull it off and argue your time in CA is spent at your vacation home... I'm sure you will have ample opportunity to defend your position.

I do know a few well to do retiree's that live in their motor-homes and have adopted the traveling lifestyle...

One has Nevada plates and the other Oregon... I'm certain they don't spend 51% of their time in ANY state...
Yes, i have a cousin that does the motorhome life. They have a small mobile home in Arizona so that is where they pay their taxes. But, they spend probably 9 months on the road.

But, going back to the OP, it would seem if you had a home in California that as you said is your vacation home how would the State know you were there more than 51% of the time? You would still have to pay utilities even when you are in Nevada.

I will need to do some more research on this. This is a very intriguing topic!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM

341 posts, read 689,058 times
You would have to recieve all your mail in Nevada. Are you going to drive over there daily to get your mail. As to those that say you are leaching of the state as long as you pay property taxes on your Ca. home you are not leaching of the state. If your like some of us you don't really get anything for your tax dollars so really the state is leaching off of us.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,266 times
California has an entire tax publication, Pub 1031 devoted to determining if you are a resident or not for tax purposes.
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_1031.pdf

Basically Pub 1031 says if you spend more time in California than elsewhere they can consider you a California resident since you are maintaining a major part of your life in the state. See pages 2 and 3 at the link. They even use an example of someone who claims Nevada as home (example 3 on page 3), but spends only about 3 months a year in Nevada.

Some of the things they look at to determine residence include where your medical professionals are located, where you are a church member, what associations you join, country clubs or other things you might join, etc.

If you are classified as a California resident (even if you just rent a home in California not own it) they can tax all income.

Good luck making it work but make sure you have very good accountants and tax lawyers.

In the meantime those of us who want the benefit of life in California will also support the society in the state, even when we don't agree with it.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:49 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
California has an entire tax publication, Pub 1031 devoted to determining if you are a resident or not for tax purposes.
http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_1031.pdf

Basically Pub 1031 says if you spend more time in California than elsewhere they can consider you a California resident since you are maintaining a major part of your life in the state. See pages 2 and 3 at the link. They even use an example of someone who claims Nevada as home (example 3 on page 3), but spends only about 3 months a year in Nevada.

Some of the things they look at to determine residence include where your medical professionals are located, where you are a church member, what associations you join, country clubs or other things you might join, etc.

If you are classified as a California resident (even if you just rent a home in California not own it) they can tax all income.

Good luck making it work but make sure you have very good accountants and tax lawyers.

In the meantime those of us who want the benefit of life in California will also support the society in the state, even when we don't agree with it.
Thanks for being so eloquent [embarrasses me that I react in anger

Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
I love California, but it has been hijacked by high-tax liberals, and I'm tired of paying 10% of my income to fund their idiotic welfare schemes.
Is that really enough of a reason to leave CA? Is keeping a little bit more of your money really worth going through all the trouble to pretend you live in NV, and risk getting caught? That is really just a form of tax-evasion if you ask me.

If CA's tax policies really bother you, why not give up and find a way to benefit from their 'idiotic welfare schemes'. Stop working and try and get some free money. Then you won't have to worry about paying for it, and you can finally benefit from CA's high taxes, that's what you're really worried about, right? You're angry that you aren't directly benefiting from your taxes, right?

Would you like Uncle California Sam to come to your door each year and cut you a check, and thank you for your hard work? If it worked that way, we wouldn't need taxes.

Just suck it up and deal with it like the rest of us.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Thanks for being so eloquent [embarrasses me that I react in anger
Don't worry I had to do a lot of editing before I hit the submit button.

You should see my email draft folder, I have lots of emails I am glad I put there first before hitting send. After a few minutes I usually decide not to send the first version.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Just suck it up and deal with it like the rest of us.
Its called responsibility to society. It seems to be something the WWII generation showed and many members of later generations have forgotten.

I curse my state and federal taxes every year. And I definitely do not agree with everything that is done with them.

But if I want to be a part of society I feel I have to pay my share, even if I don't think its fair.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
One thing that I know for certain is CA if very aggressive when it comes to collecting revenue...

I have quite a few Law Enforcement friends that retired to Nevada, Oregon and Idaho... they have no ties to CA except for their pension checks and CA has been extremely aggressive to the point of threatening to withhold a portion for taxes...

I think there was a court decision that put a stop to it and NV refused to cooperate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California