Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
There are jobs out there in a number of areas. But most of the hiring managers I talk with, at least in the Central Valley, are being picky. They are waiting for the right candidate with the right skill set. They feel in this economy they can look for a better match.

The big complaint I hear is that the application process is clogged with many applications from people who are not qualified.

One manager I spoke with was looking for a programmer and listed skills like C++ in the job ad. He had to sift through resumes he received where the highest computer skill was MS Office knowledge.
Yep,

I am actually working with our tech team in finding qualified ppl and concur with your description. We are getting resume's all over the map. I understand if someone gets laid off they just want to get 'a' job. But a targeted search would be much better IMO than the shotgun approach. For our group it is all about right fit - where preparation meets opportunity. So the old principles still apply.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
My fiance got laid-off a year ago, has applied for every single job out here that he might be qualified for, and even though he has an impressive resume, he hasn't so much as gotten an interview (Springfield area Massachusetts, ~15% unemployment rate). In February my bosses informed me that my job is moving to the Bay area in June. We can't afford to both be unemployed, so we decided to follow it and we're making the move in about a month to a new apartment in beautiful Alameda. My fiance applied for Bay area jobs long distance for a mere two weeks before he got an interview and now has a decent-paying job secured for when we move out there.

I hear endless whining on these forums, but California is far from being the worst place in country to live, and there are MANY areas in the country with an even bleaker job outlook. EVERY state has it's problems. We've been to California several times including the Bay area and absolutely love it there. It is so beautiful. There is so much diversity, so much to do, and so laid-back. California really has everything (except reasonably priced maple syrup!). I am excited about the move and greatly looking forward to being able to go outdoors comfortably year-round. There really aren't that many places where you can do that. The cost of living doesn't scare us since for renters it's barely higher than in Massachusetts, and since we'll both be employed, we'll be living off twice as much as what we've lived off the past year. Big improvement. I might be the only one who ever says this, but California is going to be a huge break for us financially. There are plenty of things I will miss about my home state, but I'm pretty positive we'll be better off in California and I'm greatly looking forward to it.
Hope it works out for you, but if you think things are not bad in California you are living in another world. You mention the Springfield area of MA, yes, they may have a high unemployment rate, but the state can not compare with the overall unemployment rate in California.

I will say, you seem excited and it looks like for you this will be a very good move. The bay area is pretty exciting.

The good news, of course is, even with 10% or more unemployment, there still are close to 90% employed.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
My fiance got laid-off a year ago, has applied for every single job out here that he might be qualified for, and even though he has an impressive resume, he hasn't so much as gotten an interview (Springfield area Massachusetts, ~15% unemployment rate). In February my bosses informed me that my job is moving to the Bay area in June. We can't afford to both be unemployed, so we decided to follow it and we're making the move in about a month to a new apartment in beautiful Alameda. My fiance applied for Bay area jobs long distance for a mere two weeks before he got an interview and now has a decent-paying job secured for when we move out there.

I hear endless whining on these forums, but California is far from being the worst place in country to live, and there are MANY areas in the country with an even bleaker job outlook. EVERY state has it's problems. We've been to California several times including the Bay area and absolutely love it there. It is so beautiful. There is so much diversity, so much to do, and so laid-back. California really has everything (except reasonably priced maple syrup!). I am excited about the move and greatly looking forward to being able to go outdoors comfortably year-round. There really aren't that many places where you can do that. The cost of living doesn't scare us since for renters it's barely higher than in Massachusetts, and since we'll both be employed, we'll be living off twice as much as what we've lived off the past year. Big improvement. I might be the only one who ever says this, but California is going to be a huge break for us financially. There are plenty of things I will miss about my home state, but I'm pretty positive we'll be better off in California and I'm greatly looking forward to it.
no... I share the same sentiments, also moving to Bay Area... except there is nothing I will miss here. If we both get jobs, my gf already has one... we will actually be better off financially as well as renters with higher salaries.

The grass is always greener on the other side... CA ... you have a LOT of stuff people want, yeah statistically it might be bad in unemployment or COL issues, but everything else is good and desireable. I am also an outdoors person and plan to utilize the area to the fullest.

Plus we have a free place to stay when we get there... so being out there and even waiting for months, will be better than doing absolutely nothing here and collecting a small paycheck. There is NOTHING for us where we are at. We are both the extreme opposite of southern conservative culture. There is tons of stuff in CA, culture, outdoors, better job, better climate, family (on gf side) , even if we have to struggle a bit.

And if people think my posts are bad, you'd be in shock about what my gf has to say about this place.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,455 times
Quote:
Hope it works out for you, but if you think things are not bad in California you are living in another world. You mention the Springfield area of MA, yes, they may have a high unemployment rate, but the state can not compare with the overall unemployment rate in California.
I never said things weren't bad in California, I just said there are places in even worse shape.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:07 PM

20 posts, read 52,534 times
Default Still Pondering Move....Cautious to be Sure !

I have been researching possibility of move to southern CA for more than a year; retired/fixed income/would be renting. I have not ruled out moving, but certainly feel more cautious than ever before (due to economic meltdown). Am not exactly the bravest person around & a move like this involves multiple factors -- No one can know for certain what will happen, but thoughtful consideration and realistic expectations must be weighed. I am leaning toward GIVING IT A TRY within 6 to 8 months. At my 'advanced age' (55!) , I think more's the pity if I DON'T pursue the dream ! Hope that helps answer your question ~

Old 05-27-2009, 02:56 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyGal View Post
I have been researching possibility of move to southern CA for more than a year; retired/fixed income/would be renting. I have not ruled out moving, but certainly feel more cautious than ever before (due to economic meltdown). Am not exactly the bravest person around & a move like this involves multiple factors -- No one can know for certain what will happen, but thoughtful consideration and realistic expectations must be weighed. I am leaning toward GIVING IT A TRY within 6 to 8 months. At my 'advanced age' (55!) , I think more's the pity if I DON'T pursue the dream ! Hope that helps answer your question ~
I would say give it a go if this is a dream you have. Many ppl have come out with less than you and do ok. The two biggest issues are jobs and real estate prices. Since you are retired and renting the main thing to look at is the cost of renting in an area you would like. IMO finding the right area is key as CA is so large. And their are sub neighborhoods in neghborhoods. You can't just go on city name only.

Do you have a place in mind? How about friends or family in the area? By your user name I can understand, at least in part, why you are looking for a change to SoCal.

Since Oregon is suffering much more than CA right now economically its not like this is really something new for you. I found this thread in the Portland forum an especially interesting one talking about ppl from Michagan moving to OR: From Michign to Oregon.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-27-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Or a fourth possibility: it's that bad where they're moving from.

Honestly, our lives have improved dramatically since moving to LA. The employment outlook was bleak where we came from.
Exactly.

Are you some of you guys serious?

I have a BA from a pretty good engineering school in Ohio, my fiancee has a BA (triple major) from a really good catholic school in Philadelphia, as well as a law degree in Ohio and there were NO jobs there for either one of us. The Cleveland public defender offered her 30k/year. Sure, you can buy a fixer-upper house in the ghetto for $20,000 but there aren't any careers available!

On the other hand, in California she was hired within weeks making almost 100k and I was hired for 2 jobs before I even arrived while I continue my schooling.

There are far worse places to be, believe me.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:56 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
What this thread points out is that in a few areas (e.g. high tech, other high end professions) unemployment is low here. But in all other professions, it's horrendous. It has to be for the numbers to add up to 11+ % overall. It is becoming the land of haves and have nots, far more so than than most other states. For those who are not part of a niche industry, or at the low, low end, you are SOL.

Exit middle class, stage right.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:21 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It is becoming the land of haves and have nots...

Exit middle class, stage right.
That's more of a commentary on the United States as a whole, and not just California. What this thread shows is that some people, like Nita, has found a better quality of life elsewhere and others, like myself, Grapico, and others, have found a better quality of life in California. Earth-shattering news? I don't think so.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Or a fourth possibility: it's that bad where they're moving from.

Honestly, our lives have improved dramatically since moving to LA. The employment outlook was bleak where we came from.
Same here. My wife and I came out for a wedding in 2005, got job interviews that week which we were out, both got offers, and moved ourselves two months later. Our earnings are triple what they were in Rhode Island where we had to rent a farmhouse built in the 1910s and pay over $2000 per year on oil to heat the place. Now we own a house in San Diego. Moving to California was easily the best move we ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California