Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 AM

32 posts, read 190,144 times

Advertisements

I was hoping someone could tell me where are all of the Palm trees in the movies?

Little house was filmed in Cali...where are the Palms in that series?
Gilmore girls (all though I havnt watched that much of it) I dont see any Palms and that was done there as well.

Do they cut the Palms down to film the movies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 09:13 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I don't watch those shows, but a lot of movies show certain neighborhoods in Beverly Hills where the tall palms are. The only thing right now that comes to mind featuring palm trees is the Randy Newman music video for "I Love LA".

Old 04-09-2007, 09:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovefall View Post
I was hoping someone could tell me where are all of the Palm trees in the movies?

Gilmore girls (all though I havnt watched that much of it) I dont see any Palms and that was done there as well.

They film on large backlots of the studios. The houses, buildings, streets, are constructed from plywood and are just facades. They control the lighting, landscaping, weather. It's all fake. Alternatively they film in Vancouver where there are no unions (or palms) although that's mostly for films, not so much TV.

When you visit LA, take the Universal Studios backlot tour.... you'll see the "smalltown USA" and the "NYC Brownstone block" that have been in a million movies.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:

Most of California's palm trees are imports. Some palms are native to CA, but the iconic tall "coconut" palms, swaying in the wind, are not natives.

Which "Little House"? Some shows, though filmed in CA, are depicted as being somewhere else, so for authenticity's sake, palms would be excluded from sets and shots.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:32 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Little House on the Prairie was also filmed in Simi Valley. But like others have said, it is a SET. They can make it look like a blizzard one day if they want to or make it look like the tropics the next.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:06 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
There are not that many palms here.
MBG

Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Quote:

I visited the set where Dr. Quinn was filmed. It is still in-tact and open to the public. It is in a canyon not far from Mailbu. Amazing how different the the foliage is, just a few miles from the coast.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:59 PM

57 posts, read 209,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Most of California's palm trees are imports. Some palms are native to CA, but the iconic tall "coconut" palms, swaying in the wind, are not natives.

Which "Little House"? Some shows, though filmed in CA, are depicted as being somewhere else, so for authenticity's sake, palms would be excluded from sets and shots.
That, and the fact that palms - native or not - don't grow in the oak savannah where "Little House On The Prairie" was filmed. So excluding them wasn't a problem for the expansive outdoor shots. And the interior and tightly-focused shots could easily work around whatever palms might be nearby.

For what it's worth, the topography of the television show looks nothing like the prairie location where the series was set.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default Big Sky Movie Ranch, Simi Valley

This location is in the Tapo Canyon area of Simi, Big Sky Movie Ranch. Little House and Bonanza were evidently filmed there in part. Michael Landen, of course, was involved in both shows.

http://littlehouse.sphosting.com/bigsky.html (broken link) (Warning: popups!)
http://www.bigskymovieranch.com/

Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Little House was also filmed frequently in Placerita Canyon, near Santa Clarita, if I'm not mistaken. There were quite a few other shows filmed there, too.

That particular location does not have any palm trees, and is also "oak savannah" as Collideascope called it. It was probably chosen due to its somewhat generic appearance, that lent itself well to resembling numerous locales.

California has such a wonderful diversity of geological variation that it lends itself quite well to resembling other parts of the country and/or world. Within a half hour drive of my home, I can be in a canyon with red rock cliffs resembling those in Utah and Colorado, or I can be in the Mojave Desert, resembling the deserts of Arizona (with the exception of the Saguaros), or I could be in the San Joaquin Valley, which is similar to the prairies of Nebraska. Also within a half hour of my home are also areas where there are farms, with cornfields (in season) similar to many across the country, which could easily be used to resemble Iowa, for instance, and rugged mountain peaks that could resemble the Rockies, the Blueridge Mountains, or nearly any other mountain range in the world (with the exceptions of the Andes and Alps, due to the limited amount of snow we get here). In fact, the highest mountain in my area is shown during the opening scene in the series "The Waltons," which was supposed to be set in the eastern U.S. Most of the episodes of "The Dukes of Hazzard" were filmed in southern California, even though it was supposed to take place in Georgia, if I recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California